F512M Or Countach 25th Anniversario | FerrariChat

F512M Or Countach 25th Anniversario

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Rossocorsa1, Feb 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If you could have one which would you choose and why?

1. Ferrari F512M

34 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversario

22 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    If you could have one or the other, which would you opt for and why?

2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    #2 BarryK, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    I would not choose either. Both are hideous run-out versions - contrived and tasteless corruptions - of the classic original designs (Testarossa and LP400)

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    F512M the mechanics of the TR perfectly sorted and it Looks awesome. Sure they forced four round lights on the back but that makes me love it all the more. So rare. So perfect. The radest wheels ever.

Xtreme5053 and Dave rocks like this.
  4. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    The Ferrari of course.

The Anniv Countach is over styled.

Jakuzzi, crinoid and Dave rocks like this.
  5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Based on your passion for concours, Jeff - 512M all the way :)

Natkingcolebasket69 and crinoid like this.
  6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The Lambo takes gaudiness to a whole new level. No brainer; F512M all the way!

LARRYH and crinoid like this.
  7. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    I would choose the one worth the most money. Likely the countach then sell the fugly aberration and get a more modern f-car.

I'm 360 Canuck and Viperjoe like this.
  8. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Given that choice, 512M no question.

I’ve said for decades that Lamborghini lost me with the Countach.

The Miura still stands in my eyes as one of the most beautiful cars ever created. The 350 and 400 GT’s were arguably the most definitive “I am here!” Statements for a new manufacturer. The Espada is quirky, to say the least, but it is cool and has a personality in its own right.

Then came the Countach. Someone was reading too many Japanese manga comic books that year. And they have doubled down on that ever since.

So, sorry Lambo. I will still drool over the Miura, and would sell a kidney for a 400GT, but nothing you have produced since 1974 raises my interest at all.

Viperjoe, LARRYH and Back'n'Black like this.
  9. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

I agree the 25th anniversary Countach is over styled.... IMO ugly. But 1986 to 1988.5 (the model just before the 1989 aka 25th anniversary) is wicked..... oh the rumble of a countach.... nothing like it. So for me Countach, but the model before the 25th anniversary edition. Also I prefer no wing.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’d prefer a 512TR over the M, and the 25th anni.

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Original lp400 countach...

But 512TR over the anniversary car. The 512M is really not a car I like. They tried too hard...

Robb

12. Xtreme5053

Xtreme5053 Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 20, 2006
    F512 M. Better lines, easier to operate, iconic styling. Instantly recognizable as Testarossa with all the best bits sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  14. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    512M in an interesting color.

crinoid likes this.
  15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The really hilarious thing to me regarding those recommending the anniversary Countach over the F512M is that the Countach's styling with the strakes added for this anniversary version is an extremely poor rip off of the Testarossa and its variants including the F512M. In every single way the Ferrari is the obvious choice.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    But I would take a 512TR over an M. Esp if you can get the Scaglietti modular wheels.

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Strakes were a styling trend during the 80s and 90s and I never equated their use on the 25th as anything similar to the TR. To me, it simply works and imitation has nothing to do with it.

Btw, another mid 80s design, the Cizeta-Moroder V16T, had side strakes as well.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The strakes were started by PF on Ferrari’s back in the early 80’s. I should re word my statement. The Countach strakes were certainly a reaction to the TR as the TR was it’s direct competitor. The Cizeta was 1991 way after the fact.

20. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Who's first isn't the point here. ;)

Btw, these articles show the Cizeta as earlier than 1990.

"Initially introduced in 1988..."
    https://www.motor1.com/news/36864/cizeta-moroder-v16t-up-for-sale-in-prague/

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/03/09/16-cylinder-italian-exotic-cizeta-moroder-v16t

crinoid likes this.
  21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Ok Wade, purity of design and originality don’t matter to you but they matter to many others. The concept of the Cizeta were around late 80’s but the production car I don’t believe was out until 90’s. The point is that the 25th Countach strakes were not by PF, the ones who started them. They were a reaction to PF’s success with them on Ferrari’s. This was very far off from the original Ghandini Countach which is a masterpiece.

Wade likes this.
  22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Oh, I agree wholeheartedly that the LP500 and LP400 are masterpieces. Perfection in its simplicity as well.

I just can't get past the neither end of the 512M and therefore choose the 25th. :)

crinoid likes this.
  23. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    The M is not the best effort of Ferrari but I'm sure it is a good car overall. The Lambo is out there and is a statement. I don't believe the build quality is as good as the F car but It will draw a crowd.

24. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    The (Anniversary) Countach is hideously styled, horribly unreliable, and essentially undrive-able (you may as well be trying to navigate a submarine on the streets).

However, in terms of investment value / potential (assuming you don't need to actually use the car), the Lambo probably is better long term. Sure, the 512M will likely hold it's value, but unlikely to keep gaining --- at least not on par with other contemporary Ferrari models that far eclipse it (e.g., Boxer, F-40, F-50, and the 288).

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  25. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    +1. I really don't prefer either cars (they both have too many afterthought, late in the model year add-ons), but if I had to choose, it would be the 512M.

On a separate note, another car that went the same route/fate would be the Lotus Esprit, the 2001/2002's ended up with round tailights and too many add-ons to the original design.

Ok, another car that I actually owned before also did the same thing...NSX-T. The 2002-2005's had special headlight/taillight treatments that made them look a little more different. It does seem these "lets change them a little to stretch the model further" fetch more money nowadays that the original design cars. And I remember the dealers couldn't even give them away at that time...I got a screaming $799/month, no down lease to my 2004 (Formula Red/Camel)..should have kept the darn thing!

Jasonberkeley likes this.