F599 after market front parking sensors | FerrariChat

F599 after market front parking sensors

Discussion in '612/599' started by gabyazar, Jul 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabyazar

gabyazar Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 27, 2015
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Full Name:
    Gaby Azar
    Hello,

My 599 came with rear sensors only; has anyone added after market front sensors to theirs, and if so, is it possible to interface them with the on board schematic by using a new harness, updated software, etc.?
    Any input is appreciated! Thanks,

2. vitajojo38

vitajojo38 Karting

Oct 17, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    Joël
    Hello,
    I would like to buy a 599 but as written by Gabyazar, the car hasn’t the front parking sensors.
    As anybody got information about the possibility to interface it with the on board diagram ?
    Thanks in advance for your answers

3. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    I wouldn't bother really. the original ones I have keep failing and causes all type of errors with other systems. I am guessing aftermarket ones will be the same if not worse. save yourself the hustle.

4. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    You can see in front, so pay attention to curbs etc. and front sensors nay not be needed. My 599 has rear sensors which are critical because as we know the rear view is a bit obscured.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Before my current '11 HGTE 599 which has both F/R sensors, I drove an '07 GTB with only the rear sensors and often scraped the front bumper on curbs, etc., due to its lower stance. I inquired about adding the front sensors from my friendly Ferrari Service Manager and he stated it could be done by buying the front sensor kit from Ferrari parts stores. They can modify the front bumpers and reprogram the Parking ECU.

However from my experiences with my '11 HGTE's front sensors, they can be a PITA because of their sensitivity (they pick up objects about three feet away) and they beep every time you come to a stop. Likewise, their ECU's contain errors I believe which make them beep constantly sometimes even though there's nothing in front or beside the front bumper! The rear sensors are programmed just right IMHO.

Apart from the sensor's single defeat button on the driver's console, there is a F/R sensor full defeat feature on the dashboard display (via dashboard and steering wheel selection buttons) if you get tired of its errors, but that would defeat its purpose and use.

So I've just learned to not mind the beeping because it only takes one heart-sinking "crunch" and crumple of the F/R bumpers to make an owner weep due to the cost of proper repairs!

Skidkid and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Pretty much my experience too. On occasion my system will randomly fail to detect things as well. At best, it is 60% or so

7. Zbaroom

Zbaroom Karting

May 27, 2012
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Zaini
    To continue the thyme, i have one failed front sensor and need replacement.

anyone tried this sensor? https://www.autodoc.co.uk/blic/13249027

i don't want to spend more than that for a sensor that I will need to replace in about 12 month again.

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    On the 612, the parking sensors ecu has the ability to be set up for front or rear sensors. You would need to get the proxy file for the correct setting though. Something that could be done with an SD3 i expect. You’ll need wiring too of course, and I’m not sure how much of this will be pre-installed.

One curious thing is that I used to get spurious faults with my rear parking sensors all the time- they would just start continuously beeping as soon as I engaged reverse regardless of any obstacles. Wouldn’t happen all the time though. Interestingly though, it’s never happened since i converted from F1 to manual. The rear sensors are activated based on a signal from the TCU in F1 cars, so I wonder if this is causing grief for the parking sensors ecu?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat