f8 bubble / pricing | Page 5 | FerrariChat

f8 bubble / pricing

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dapuma, Nov 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It has more to do with maximizing performance vs. control. A human can not manually shift as fast as a computer. You get paddles to stay engaged but these days the cars do really well in auto mode.

2. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    i didn’t say that you CANNOT have a manual with that kind of power. I said that it isn’t easy to control nor is it really all that fun.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #103 Caeruleus11, Nov 27, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    I think you are mixing up what I said. I did not say the transition from ICE->EV is like the shift from stick to paddles, rather I said the transition from purely ICE to hybrid power in Ferraris might be like that. (Many jumped up and down and said no stick in a Ferrari would mean they would never buy a new Ferrari and thus, Ferrari sales would dwindle, how could they lose touch with their core experience... well.....)

And the subsequent posts about how its so dangerous to have all these cables near you only go on to make part of my point- there is a substantial amount of distrust of these things out there. Will it fade away or gain strength or stay the same? Time will tell us.

All I can tell you is I thought my day drive of the SF90 was really impressive.

But to come back to the F8- I don't see values going lower in the near term- unless there is a major market catalyst.

4. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I was told today by someone that would know exact figures….F8 spiders are 80k over all day, real world selling prices. Not asking prices. That’s at least in the CA market, for dealer to private party sales. Obviously other parts of the country can be different. And of course there is some wiggle room there up or down depending on spec and mileage and all the usual factors.

So take that as one more data point. Looking at online asking prices, I would have guessed more.

Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Fair enough. However, I said ICE to electrification (not ICE to EV) to cover the entire range of cars “enhanced” by electric modes. For many of us, electrification et al is an existential crisis.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I thought you were suggesting that Porsche deliberately capped manuals at 500hp with the GT3.

Agree that high horsepower manuals (or with any transmission for that matter) are more difficult to control, but isn’t that part of the fun? Traction control and other nannies usually intervene before things get too sideways.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    At some point, every enthusiast/collector slows or stops adding new cars to their garage. The shift to hybrid and EV will be the catalyst for many. I personally don’t have anything against hybrids but I am concerned with spending a lot of money on technology that is evolving rapidly and will be obsoleted quickly. I am not seeking more speed nor do I have the need to own the latest tech (I still use an iPhone 8). Hybrids do not (yet) bring enough extra to the table for me when there are decades worth of amazing ICE cars to pursue, study and own.

I suspect that when the time comes that I’m ready to actually buy a hybrid sports car I’ll look inside my garage and think “nah, I’m good”.

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    My thoughts exactly, and I could not have said it any better.

vonbeeler, ScrappyB and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    And this is exactly what people said with the move from stick to paddles.

It adds extra weight and complexity.

It takes away from the experience.

Now, you could say the paddles were a performance enhancing technology, whereas the electric is being forced upon us by regulation and society; this is true- but don’t kid yourself- part of the paddles reason for adoption is people who dont know how to drive stick shift can now drive a Ferrari. I have seen far too many Ferrari drivers only drive their cars in auto mode- even on the track! For me this is almost a crime, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Viperjoe and mkraft3003 like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I hope you didn’t think I was downplaying your concerns. I understand its a huge issue for many people, which is why I said I don’t see F8 values going lower in the short run, which is what I’d define as about 18-24 months.

Longer term, I think the market will eventually move on. Those who are really bothered by this will have enough choice between so many amazing pre-owned cars; and those who are not really bothered will have newer things.

(PS I remember when people said all the environmental regulations of the early 1970s and then putting fuel injection into Ferraris was going to kill them. )

mkraft3003 likes this.
  11. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Well said!! As I pointed out earlier the same thing was said when they moved fro N/A to turbo. How about when Porsche went front air cooled to water cooled. Each time new technology comes out and is forced on the market people have argued that the brand is dead, they are never changing or buying the car model and the old cars will just go up in value. History has shown that the new technology is eventually an improvement and people adapt and the market adjusts. For the record I am not a fan of hybrids, right now, but In a few years when they are lighter and outperform ice cars I will adapt and will want the latest and greatest.

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I agree with the spirit of what you are communicating. The core difference now is that today’s cars have already surpassed what the average driver can safely handle on a public road. The various technology enhancements over the years led to meaningful, and welcome, performance gains. I am at the point now, where I do not need, or really want, anything faster than my 765LT. What’s more, the car I enjoy the most is my Ford GT which has pedestrian performance numbers relative to modern cars (the GT needs 11 seconds to go 0 to 124mph and the 765LT only needs 6.7 seconds).

ScrappyB and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you could time warp 20 years back with your 765, and asked someone like Chris Harris his opinion, he’d say what you are saying.

I remember when the 400hp cars were coming on the scene and that was the common concern- too fast to enjoy- too fast for our roads- too fast for most to control.

Tire technology and electric systems kept improving- and they will keep improving as long as the market is there.

14. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I agree with that. Back when the 458 came out and I had one I thought that was too much car for the average person to handle. Each car I have owned since then has blown me away in performance and technology. My 765lt is mind blowing and I’m sure i will say the same thing with the next generation of cars. The improvements in technology do make the average person better on the track. I remember learning heel to toe to get better track times and now that seems so ancient. You may not need or want anything faster right now but in a few years who knows. I know I’ve said that about a lot of cars I’ve had.

15. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    The market will exist because new car buyers will have no other choice but to accept electrification. Not everyone has an attachment to or desire to own older cars that are out of warranty and don’t have Apple Carplay. I do believe hybrids and EVs will strongly appeal to the next generation of buyers.

The challenge for sportscar makers in the short term will be convincing existing customers to buy into hybrids when they know the risk of technical glitches and accelerated obsolescence is high, desirable pure ICE options still exist in the market and while they’re competing with their own recent but discontinued models in the used car market.

Things will change once more younger buyers have the means to afford exotics and pure ICE are no longer offered by anyone. Consumer confidence in the technology will also improve when these cars enter their first major upgrade cycle. I think this will happen in the next 3-5 years at which point many existing customers will have already jumped off the new sportscar wagon.

16. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    My data agrees with this, it's about 80k over. What I've found is that this is also climbing as more and more people experience FOMO.

imo, the only way pricing pulls back on the F8 is if the 296 isn't the successor -- and all data seems to indicate that it indeed is.

Viperjoe likes this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You seriously need to get some simple mods on your FGT....

And as far as "controlling" a high power MT car, using the clutch effectively alleviates that problem for those with driving skills.

18. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    i think there is a real difference. This is not “better faster”; it’s being forced on manufacturers. Does anyone really think the manufacturers are salivating over this “new technology”? Paddles, turbos, anti lock brakes, DCT, they all came from racing and/or making cars faster, better handling, more reliable. This comes from tree huggers.

Shark01, Caeruleus11, LVP488 and 2 others like this.
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    You know, growing up in the 50's and 60's I can't imagine not driving a car without an ICE. However, today it seems many (not all) kids don't care that much for cars, or even driving period. So it won't be such a catastrophe for them.

I'm glad that when that "time far, far away" comes I'll be long gone. If they're not going to be drivable, they can bury me in my 612 and my wife in the FF. We'll both be happy! :)

stretchgeneral likes this.
  20. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    Getting back to the core topic - F8 pricing is NOT in a unique bubble. There are lots of assets with supply demand imbalances. Over the next three to five years i think there are a few key variables. The EV/Hybrid market is evolving very fast. Ferrari's 296 and the overall production increase will make an impact.

The one thing that seems to always be confirmed on bubbles and pricing is supply and demand. No matter if the car is awesome if they make too many pricing will be bad...that simple.

The F8 does seem to have a shorter cycle and if there will not be another "speciale" f8 that would add to the pricing dynamic.

Best guess using rough math if f8 spider is $400k car (add-ons plus tax) with $80k market up. in 3-5 years with 5-9k miles the car should go from $480 to $300-350k. that is my guess.

The bubble 80k will be gone in year 2 and then depreciation will follow all the other ferraris.

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Guy spends so much money on super cars he can’t even afford a new Iphone…..;)

Caeruleus11, ScrappyB and Thecadster like this.
  22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    :D

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. Dapuma

Dapuma Rookie

Sep 22, 2021
    Yes, that is correct. I did miss out on the ordering window and am kicking myself. I did a lot of reading on the forums, and didn't think the f8 (coupe) had a lot of fans, everyone seemed to like the older vehicles or lots of people don't like the sound etc. This thread makes me happy and sad at the same time that it is well liked, and sad that the odds of getting one for a reasonable price is probably gone...at least in the next year or two.

I do appreciate all the insight and other perspectives in terms of the vehicle and where the market could potentially go.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    There could be hope still...call your local dealer, or, if you have no local dealer, call around, you might find a dealer with an available allocation due to a customer backing out/cancelling...at least get your name on their callback list ....

and, if you are in the USA, call around to all the dealers and ask them if they have an F8 that the customer backed out and did not purchase, USA dealers are required to sell a new Ferrari to its first owner at list price, no markup...and Ferrari dealers are forbidden from advertising such "walk away" cars, but they will directly let you know if there is one available...

so, if you do a little work you might be able to get one sooner than you think and at list price...

Dapuma, BigJay2050 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  25. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Exactly correct.

JTSE30 likes this.