F8 or STO? | Page 101 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t think they meant pics of you. :). Ahhh never mind.

AD211 likes this.
  2. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’ve always known I was a really boring dude, but this thread confirms it.

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm curious as to what the wives look like.

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I was joking but maybe you really should write one.

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    And people doubted you. The story was too imaginative and off the wall to have been a figment of your imagination.

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    So we now have been informed about some of your lifestyle adventures, but how did you manage , after 20 years of marriage pull off having your ex willing to become your housekeeper while simultaneously having a GF. Your situation is an anomaly as most marriages do not end harmoniously.

7. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    no matter what, it's right to admit that STO is impressive and big Lambo improvement in creating track focused car , it would be great to see Aventador STO in the future

8. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I dropped of my STO for PPF and my PPF installer informed me they'll be installing a new Xpel PPF (not available on the market yet) which is ceramic coated, higher gloss and less orange peel. I will share pictures in a few days once the PPF install is complete.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You really want to be the guinea pig on a new product? I don't.....

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It will be fine xpel does a great job.

Shack, SLDriver and Coincid like this.
  11. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Lol, it'll be fine. It's just PPF...

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Finish aside, often times it’s the quality of the kit itself that determines how well the PPF will look and hold up. The one big disadvantage of a white car (e.g., my 458) is it shows every imperfection at the seams. And over time, in high stress areas the seams begin to peel at the edges, and, well, dirt collects.

When I bought the car, the entire vehicle had been wrapped, and over time I replaced a few portions. Ironically, the initial install had held up better…….go figure.

There won’t be a lot of options kit-wise for the STO, so even if you are the beta tester, you won’t be for long. But thanks for being the first one!

13. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    PPF on a white can be a pain. I had a white Huracan back in 2016 and the dirt would collect in the seams. That been said, PPF installs have gotten better because there's pre-cut patterns available via DAP. There's less room for error and better fitment.

And just to clarify, the PPF they're installing on my car is still pre-cut patterns via DAP. The only difference is this new PPF has ceramic coating and less orange peel. My Perfomante was also one of the first cars to get Xpel Ultimate Plus and I remember the difference between the "normal" Xpel PPF and Ultimate Plus was huge.

14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    There is no kit as of today that I know of and they will have to "bulk" the install. The biggest challenge is a single piece that will go from fender to fender otherwise there will be seams.

15. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    ^
    There's pre-cut patterns available for the STO.

Gh21631 likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That will work fine but not the best install. The hood into the fenders will be the tough part, I dont know if you can get a single piece of film large enough.

17. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I agree and the rear fenders will be tricky.

My installer didn't seem fazed and said the install should be straight forward but we shall see...

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
  19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have a white with blue stripes 05 GT that is 100% covered in PPF. With my thumbnail, I run a wet MF towel back and forth across the edge of the film. It’s time consuming, but I am able to extract most of the gunk and residue that collect on the various seams.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That looks like a separate piece. If I'm not mistaken the largest available is 72".

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Wow I never read this thread until this morning but I’m glad I did. Some great content here haha.

Thecadster likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    How old is the film? There should be no gunk on the seams. That gunk must be degradation of the film and/or an adhesive. The newest film technology has greatly advanced. If your film is years old, I recommend removal and application of the latest.

23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s about 18 months old. The gunk is simply dirt and dust collecting at the seems. I have 5 cars with full PPF, with the oldest PPF job being 28 months old. Four of them are Xpel, one is Suntek. All of them have seam deposits. These deposits are mostly obscured because of the paint colors; however, the white GT hides nothing.

Coincid and Gh21631 like this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thus is why "bulk" is better than the expel patterns. If bulked the edges roll over and there are no seams. Our customers pay more but have no seams whatsoever. Takes longer but you can't tell there is film on the car. Problem is finding good enough installers. We've had to import them in.

Thecadster likes this.