F8 or STO? | Page 102 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Right you are. Visible a mile away. And I get so frustrated I’m tempted to take a razor to the ******, to say nothing of the yellowing due to the intense FL sun.

I still love white in certain models. Looks awesome in the 458. So many folks have opined they’re glad to not see a red one for a change.

But this time around the STO is Blu Laufey and the F8 Scuderia Red. I think the STO is gonna be tough to PPF. We shall see.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    The issue is finding an installer who can do bulk installs perfectly because you need to cut on or close to body panels.

That been said, pre-cut Xpel patterns can be edited in DAP and good shops will make their own templates so the PPF covers all the edges.

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  3. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    This was the condition of my PPF on my Huracan after a year of ownership back in 2017. Not all the edges were wrapped but there wasn't any damage and overall the PPF held up very well on a white car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    My installer did a Senna with no template. 200 individual pieces all hand cut and wrapped. STO would be a "walk in the park" in comparison. I am sure a competent installer can be found to satisfy most peoples OCD

5. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Same with my installer. He's done a few Senna's but he was telling the hardest car he's worked on without templates was a Huayra roadster.

Shack likes this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    We almost never use template's. Higher end customers prefer the final product. What sucks is that we are so busy I can barely get my personal cars in there.

Thecadster, Shack and SLDriver like this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    A year ain’t enough time….I’ve had issues around high stress areas - like wheel wells and door edges.

The yellowing by the intense FL sun only started after a few years. I’ve had someone tell me it’s inevitable with white…..dunno what to believe.

I don’t think you’d notice it with any other color.

PS your installer did a great job

8. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I stopped by my PPF's installers shop earlier this morning and you were correct, the pre-cut pattern for the cofango is no good and he had to do the cofango by hand so it's one piece with no seams. He also had some issues with the PPF adhering to the matte plastic pieces which I suspected because it's a hard material to work with.

In regards to the new PPF, it's pretty amazing. No orange peel to the point where you can clearly see the paint so on a black car he had to make sure there was no blemish. It's also ceramic coated so it's even more hydrophobic than the standard Xpel PPF. It's now similar to the PPF's Stek and Suntek offer.

I should take delivery of my car tonight or tomorrow so I'll post more pics.

AD211 and Gh21631 like this.
  9. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    This is a "bulk" install, no seams. My install spent 2 days just on the cofango because the pre-cut pieces didn't look good. You can't even tell there's PPF installed.

Also, the gloss & clarity on the new Xpel Fusion PPF is incredible.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

xBox, mdrums, Ash Patel and 4 others like this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Not mine, my buddies, but mine should be here soon. I just noticed the paint match between the Mars Red contrast and the ramp edges, lol. I doubt he’s PO’d however.

Headed to FOCF in a few hours to finalize my F8 Spider spec. Unfortunately I’m in a spending mood, like going food shopping when you’re hungry. Help!

Attached Files:

Spider68, mdrums, Thecadster and 6 others like this.
  11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  12. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Looks better without the yellow exterior bits ,to me

Coincid likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Why does he not own a Ferrari?

14. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    He has an SF90 on order.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I just saw that.

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That gives Lambo a bad name.

Shark01 likes this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It's not Lamborghini's fault that Shmee chose a garrish color. It will only get worse when he adds the yellow contrast.

18. Kudos

Kudos Rookie

Jun 20, 2021
    Full Name:
    FC
    Value wise I can’t get my head around a Huracan costing as much as a 1 year old SVJ, and I fear they won’t hold their money because they are 50-70k overpriced?

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    In this market I think they hold and increase. I backed out because I didn’t ultimately like the looks and I prefer roadsters now.

20. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I love Shmee/Tim’s spec. I’d have ordered Viola Bast myself if I knew it would look this good. I do hope he changes his mind on the yellow contrasting accents though.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #2547 BJK, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  22. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I can't see the STO staying in the mid 5's next year but who knows. No one saw SVJ roadster prices climbing to almost a million dollars.

23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Lamborghini Uptown Toronto just got in an STO on consignment. Available for sale now.

24. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Matte grey car? How much are they asking?