F8 or STO? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Don’t give up on the STO. It will come down to how bad you want it to work. At 6’6” 265lbs, I gave up hopes of being “comfortable” in any of these cars years ago. I have had a Performante for 3 years. I have driven it 2600 miles (I have other cars, so don’t knock me for the low miles). I have a STO on order. The cars are small and cramped, but I have always considered that to be part of the drama and theater. By the way, my Dodge Viper ACR makes my Performante feel like an Escalade with regards to interior space.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Bravo!
    I put a few thousand on the Perf Spyder. Challenging fit to say the least, esp since in drop top form you lose a few inches of leg room.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    dude, they are like the same cars. same engine and everything. performante may be even better on some cases due to awd.

SECRET likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Anyone want to post up a super wild spec in like purple, orange, yellow?

5. I bet the published dry weight of the STO is with the optional Magnesium wheels.

6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Owned 2 Huracans and the car is much better than the 488/F8 on so many points.

Went to the F8 launch party in January. Listened to cold start. Had absolutely 0 interest from that moment forward.

Lambo not getting on with it? F8 is based on 10 year-old 458. Talk about a recycled platform.

2" extra inches in Evo sport seats you may squeeze into STO.

Ash Patel and 09Scuderia like this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Blame it on genetics, LOL! Seriously in a coupe I’ll bet you’re close. I have a buddy 6’-3” and he fits in his Perf just fine (no helmet).

I’m bummed that at 5’-11”, I can’t seem to fit in a Spyder. I swear they chopped the interior in half.

8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    exactly... huracans are designed to appeal to a completely different customer than other brands. the STO definitely isn’t going to convert anyone over to the Lamborghini.

Shadowfax and MANDALAY like this.
  9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My buddy has a perf. Don’t get me wrong- I can squeeze in but why would I want to. Porsche, mclaren Ferrari- tons of room. Lambo- no luck.

Thecadster and SECRET like this.
  10. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    The CF Race seats will give the giants among us a few more cm's/inches. Yeah all the stuff about super uncomfortable etc - "man up" :) they are fine.

11. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob

buddyg likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I can man up or just buy something else. The STO is great. But then again so is the 765. So is the 2rs. So is the Pista.

Every couple of months there is the must have car. Lots of choices.

But I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want a STO.

LK1, Thecadster, SECRET and 1 other person like this.
  13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The ONLY thing better about a Huracan vs an F8 is the sound that I can give you. F8 looks better has a better interior and is faster.

MANDALAY, Dicecal and SECRET like this.
  14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Looks are subjective. Sound and the linear throttle response of the N/A V10 are not. During autocross, I find the N/A V10 easier to modulate into and out of tight corners and the RWD does not penalize like the AWD can. This carries over to street driving for me.

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    There are more tangible differences between the STO and the Perf compared to the Pista and the F8.

Ash Patel and Thecadster like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In a drag race, the AWD EVO will break out quicker due to the extra grip at launch but very soon thereafter, the additional power and torque of the F8 will dominate. The STO will fair worse since it won’t have that head start.

17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Everyone has their own personal preferences, I can tell you the F8 pulls like a freight train with no noticeable turbo lag. Generally not a fan of lambo styling, but the STO is kinda cool.

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    $410k +/- for a heavy spec.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’ll take a slower but wilder car any day.
    Pista and perf get owned but that doesnt stop it from being adored by owners.
    LB and BB will come out and own the last gen hypercars, but they are still loved.

Shack, Thecadster and Boomhauer like this.
  20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Is the throttle response substantially improved over the 488 (I noticed lag) and would you say the difference between the F8 and Huracan is less than between the 991 GT3 and Turbo S for example? I find my H to have similar direct throttle to my GT3.

21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    #296 Thecadster, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Cool bro. Thanks for the heads up. Good looking out. I had no idea.... Like I said in my post, for me, they are sufficiently different. Again, to me, they are fraternal twins. The Performante is the highest level AWD Huracan. The STO is the highest level RWD Huracan. Both are the best looking of all their respective siblings. And their old school, no blanks given, NA V10’s is what appeals to me more than the faster cars like the F8. My desire for “fastest” will be satisfied by my 765LT when it arrives.

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    You are wrong about this, I follow all the boards. I am not a brand loyalist. I am loyal only to the hobby, not the manufacturer. I have watched all the new cars get released the last 4 years including the 991.2 GT3 RS, GT2 RS, SVJ, Pista, F8, 812, SF90, Performante, 720S, 600LT, 620R, 765LT, C8, you name it, I have watched them all with interest (and purchased a couple too). I have never seen a car as universally well received as the STO. People not normally drawn to Lamborghini (even the super obnoxious Ferrari only crowd, you know who you are) are pursuing slots. It’s a phenomenon and it’s surprised dealers and enthusiasts alike.

Shack, dustman, Surfah and 2 others like this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So you can get a Performante in the mid 200s. Or a new STO for 400k. Same engine, same performance, Same horsepower. Yet we all rush to buy the STO.

we are idiots.

Ash Patel, wthensler and Thecadster like this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This is true. The hype for this car is not something I’ve seen before.

09Scuderia and Thecadster like this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    And anyone disagreeing with that conclusion is simply not paying attention. You can almost hear the surprise in different posts where people register an interest. They are shocked that the car would appeal to them. Everyone knows it’s a Huracan, a design that’s been around 8 years. Everyone understands that it’s “slow” by modern standards (but so is the 05/06 Ford GT). None of that matters. The car is igniting interest like few other cars in recent memory have.

09Scuderia and SoCal to az like this.