F8 or STO? | Page 14 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Performance is not the same. The STO is 3 seconds faster than the HP at Daytona. To put it in perspective, the Super Trofeo Evo is 3 seconds faster than the STO.

Havent seen this level of hype in some time. Japan has a hardcore Lambo clientale and its not surprising one of the first STO launches was there. They will sell all of the 150 available. If the global production number of 700 is correct, thats a significant percentage of STOs dedicated to the Land of the Rising Sun. Would make sense the total ends up higher than 700.

Would be difficult if not impossible to integrate the functional roof scoop for engine cooling and sharkfin with a Spyder. Also goes against the lightweight ethos of the STO while diminishing tortional rigidity.

2. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    #328 SLDriver, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    dustman likes this.
  3. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Thanks for the close-ups. Can see the craftsmanship and attention to detail.

SLDriver likes this.
  4. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Haven't been this pumped about a car in a while

kane00 and Surfah like this.
  5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #331 Shadowfax, Nov 23, 2020
    The bulk of interest now being shown in cars like STO and LT macs is because the enthusiast is getting fed up with the boring new models being built by Ferrari which sound crap have crap engagement and look unresolved (eg: SF90 etc).

The biggest issue I have with STO is it's a very old platform, has dreadful ergonomics and an unstylish rear end that looks old and droopy. And there is nowhere to even put your lunchbox in it let alone be able to see out the back window! I bet if STO didn't have a 9000rpm NA V10 engine which actually puts out a proper sound which you can actually hear, and hear coming there wouldn't be anywhere near the interest currently being shown.

If Ferrari put a non hybrid NA V1o or 12 in their next mid mount car and gave it a decent sound - which you can actually hear and hear coming - along with some proper styling and driver engagement they would put Lambo out of business overnight.

And FWIW there is no way in world would I take an FTO over a Pista. Forget it - even if it had 2 v10 atmos in it.

6. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Same here, no way I would pick a "FTO" over a Pista...

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #333 Shadowfax, Nov 23, 2020
    Yep no way known would I do that to myself. That would be like mugging yourself. Very badly. You could add an STO for the fun of it if you owned a Pista though but it would be more a show and tell car than a car that would ever see much real use. And i think you'd have to be prepared to take a acid bath on it to get out of it in a year or two on or, when Lambo ditches that old body.

If you look at the 765Lt which looks proper the STO looks like a tizzed up kit car. I see theyve tried copying the 765Lt with all that laser cut mesh on the rear but didnt pull it off like the Mac has. Sto will draw the publics attention - but when you look closer its all novelty tack on stuff to attract attention. Same case with the roof scoop - they tried for a look, but against the 765 Mac it's a fail. And the rear diffuser looks like it came out of a corn flakes packet compared the Mac and Pista. The best thing about the STO is the engine and noise. Take that away and its a throw away basically. Brutal but true.

8. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    The typical STO owner has no interest in the 765LT or the Pista and isn't going to care about lap records and how the aero looks on the STO. They're buying a STO to break necks and look good when they pull up at the club or restaurant on a Saturday night.

Lambo owners are a different breed of supercar owners and I don't mean that in a negative way.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    IDK...i had Pista and am getting a 765LT also. But so far I prefer the Lambo, at least on paper.

10. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I agree. I tried unsuccessfully to secure a slot for a Pista. My interest in that car soon faded. I thought about a 720S and went for several extended road tests. I even sampled the 720S Spider. Those cars felt too subdued. About all they had was blistering speed. I decided to wait for the 765LT, which should be here Jan/Feb. Meanwhile, I was certain that my next car after that would be a Porsche Speedster, or even a 992 GT variant, but then the STO dropped and my dealer called me. I quickly fell in love with it. At this point, I’m inclined to keep the Performante too. So I am one of those rare individuals who would rather have two Huracans, than a Huracan and a Pista/F8 combo. Please note, I love Ferrari’s, especially my non-GPF 812.

Surfah, ferrarifam, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    This one looks way better. The STO looks so chintzy. Looks like someone with zero taste went to town with a bunch of stickers and fibreglass tack ons on a Perf.

SECRET, Napoli and boxerman like this.
  13. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I am liking this STO !!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

boxerman likes this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

But Shadow has spoken and you are not listening? What is wrong with you?

kane00, Thecadster and Igor Ound like this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Biggest changes to STO- RWD, 75% of panels are carbon fibre, Brakes are Racing Brembo CCM-R, ALA gone replaced by rear wing manually adjustable, roof scoop for engine cooling,downforce increased by 53%, rear wheel steering, front and rear fender/bumpers are a single clam shell piece, .
    Interior changes- Touch screen replaces manual buttons, anima now changed to Road- Taxck and Rain modes, new race seats.

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I beg to differ. As a super car lover, if I lived in a locale where I could drive my cars year round, I would own all 3.

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The front lip in contrast colors is all that needs to be done on this car. The rest of the stickers look utterly stupid.

AtomicPunk88, Shack, SECRET and 2 others like this.
  18. Jon7

Jon7 Karting

Jan 30, 2004
    VA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have heard that the rollbar is not included in the SC package for USA cars. Hope I'm mistaken.

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ships as parts to dealer for install.

Shack likes this.