F8 Spec questions | FerrariChat

F8 Spec questions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by red308, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    Just going through the order guide and putting together a first-cut option list. Will be the first F-car ordered new for me. Several used ones in the past. Have a few questions.

1) It would be nice to have Sport Cup 2's on the car from the get-go and avoid the hassle of switching out the stock tires but are the Sport Cup 2's really worth $5062? Probably around $3000 if I just go to the dealer after the fact. I don't plan on putting a lot of miles on the car so why not start with the Cup 2's?

2) Lithium battery is pretty pricey and on a relative basis not that big of an incremental expense. I know some will say the weight savings isn't worth $3375. It's not like I am configuring a track car but I do like the newer battery technologies. When parked in the garage it will always be on a tender.

3) Pista paddles are $1687 but require the CF driver zone for $7593. Worth it right?

4) Anti stone chipping film is $4839 which seems like a pretty good deal to protect the most vulnerable areas. Is it better to just go custom wrap with Xpel Ultimate Plus, probably around $10k?

5) Spare wheel kit for $2869 could save you but you forfeit the frunk space. Still worth it?

6) The passenger display for $4556 seems pretty cool but honestly the vast majority of my motoring will be solo. Still worth getting?

7) Heat insulated windscreen for $1181 seems like a good idea but if it ever gets cracked is a replaced way more expensive?

Thanks for your help,
    Phil

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Hi Phil,
    Some thoughts:

1- Don't get the Cup 2 tires unless you plan on driving the car in a very spirited manner frequently. I find they are much more temperature sensitive than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires that should come standard on the F8. These tires really lose temp quickly if the ambient temp is below 65F and if you are not really on them. On the other hand, it seems you are in a fairly warm part of the world and if you will drive the car with gusto frequently, then I can tell you these are really nice tires, but you just have to know they are more temperature sensitive than the 4S.

2- Probably better to stick with the standard AGM battery. LiON is cool and a bit exotic for use in a car like this, but these batteries require a different tender, and are supposedly more finicky and costly than the AGM batteries. I don't think its worth the pain.

3- How hard will you be driving this car- the standard paddles are pretty good for spirited driving, but once in a while, and often at the track, I will go for a shift and wish the bottom of the paddle was longer, like on the special series paddles. I have a car with them and its nice to have.

4- Better to have the film done locally for many reasons. The first one that comes to mind is ideally you want to give the clear coat time to cure, it will do so on the journey over. And then you can have them wrap the areas you want or not as you wish.

5- Spare wheel really depends where you're driving. I used to order these but I haven't lately and haven't missed it. Ferrari has roadside and I think its also good to have AAA (belt and suspenders approach) and my dealer has vehicles, and I am usually somewhat local, so I feel like I am pretty well covered.

6- Passenger display at least now looks great with up to date graphics. Its pricy and for many the logic is why pay extra to tell your (usually) significant other just how fast you are going... But I will say my kids love it.

7- Yes, if the heat insulating windscreen will cost more to replace, but I am a fan because it helps reduce heat in the cabin and I prefer to not be so hot. The AC in these cars is very good, but why not help it out if possible. One note, I've heard the heat insulating material will reduce the range of radar detectors and other devices (road passes etc) but I think they have cutouts for these devices and, while it may be reduced, my dash mounted detector still seems to work as does my EZ pass...

Congratulations on your first ordered new Ferrari!

perrinnation, stavura, daflk and 2 others like this.
  3. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    First new Ferrari order for me as well. I did the CF driver zone and heat insulated windshield, the rest of the stuff I will do aftermarket including clear shield protection for the windshield.

red308 likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    #4 LVP488, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    1) the option for Sport Cup 2 tyres is definitely overpriced - indeed it is cheaper to buy additional tyres... Ideally (since one may prefer the regular tyres for road use) you should have a second set of rims, but then that's obviously more expensive.
    2) the Ferrari provided Lithium battery may be sensitive in terms of maintenance, I've been advised to avoid it
    3) optional carbon paddles have finally the right size (they are longer than the standard ones) so now they're worth it; for the price you mention I think you also get the carbon steering wheel with LEDs (french price is EUR 5400, code CIDL)
    4) although there are options from Ferrari for films, it may also be managed "locally" by the dealer with some external suppliers as far as I understand
    5) with a spare wheel you virtually do not have a trunk anymore - so most do not take it, tyres punctures are not common and in case it happens you could manage it like another failure (i.e. call for assistance)
    6) overpriced IMHO - but good looking
    7) you could probably live without it
    On the over hand, the electrochromic mirrors (MIR3) could be useful.
    All the above reflect my personal opinion obviously.

red308 likes this.
  5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I did not spec any of those. I did the entire interior CF package so the paddles were included. Nos 1,2,4 can be done for a lot less after market. No. 6 is meaningless to me since the only passenger I have in the car couldn't care less.

red308 likes this.
  6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I did all the inside CF I could without going to the matt finish. Here in the US, if you add the CF instrument cluster, it forces you to do the entire interior in matt finish which I didn’t care for. After looking at the CF door handles, I didn’t think they looked better then leaving the standard door handles. So I have gloss CF inside except the instrument cluster and door handles.

red308 likes this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I agree on the CF gloss. I do not like the look of the matte. I also agree with you on the door handles. They are not necessary and I will delete them on my final spec.

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Get 3 and 6. 7 if you live in super hot place.

red308 likes this.
  9. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I bought after-market paddles from Carbonio which are longer and very nicely fabricated. The carbon construction looks identical to Ferrari's. Took less than 5 minutes to install on my 488 Spider. I would check with them to see if they'll fit the F8. Around $800 for FCHAT members.

nickbains26 and red308 like this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Indeed they are very nice, I have them on my 488. But for the 488 the Ferrari carbon paddles were the same shape and size (i.e. short) as the standard paddles, while for the F8 the optional carbon paddles are now longer, so they can be an option.

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The price of the MPSC2 tyres are lunacy. They list for 1,927.86 on tirerack.

Another thing to keep in mind regarding the MPSC2. They are only better if you can get them hot. As soon as they cool, they drop off fast. So the reality is that in a lot of cases, the MPSS actually offers more grip on public roads.

Regarding the battery. For that price, you should consider the Braile I48CS. It is by far one of the most powerful and most reliable, as well as highest quality batteries you can currently get - and it's lighter and cheaper than the Ferrari lithium battery. https://www.jegs.com/i/Braille-Battery/147/I48CS/10002/-1

Matte carbon? Ugh! If you want to try matte CF, just have it wrapped.

The "standard" protection. Don't and I mean, DON'T! First off. There's a very real chance that you will want your new car paint corrected when you get it. Fact is that Ferrari does not have the best quality control when it comes to paint. Add to that the quality of the stock PPF is among the worst I've seen. It's a thick, visible, average quality film that yellows and dries out. Get SunTek. Most invisuble film of them all and great self healing properties. This also makes it possible to have the detailer do his magic to the paint BEFORE a film is applied. If you get the whole car wrapped, which I think is by far the best way to go if doing PPF, you can opt for a ceramic coating. This will put the final touch on it and make it look the best it can. But for the sake of all things holy. Don't let them put that crap stock film on top of a finish that might need a bit of a final cut and polish - it will look terrible.

Lastly I second the Carbonio paddles. I've seen them in the 458 at they are as good, if not better than the Ferrari pieces.

If you don't do the MPSC2 or at least don't order them with the car, choose to get the Braile battery etc. you'll be ahead price wise and that you can for example put into having this guy do your detail and PPF. https://www.esotericdetail.com/

red308 likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    dont do the passenger display. I had it in my 488 and wish I didnt. When I drove my wife, the last thing I needed her to do is whine about exactly how fast I took the turn. If it wasnt there, atteast I could lie and say I wasnt driving as fast as was. :)

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I have it and my wife loves it. She is the opposite "go faster , go in the corner faster, why are you in 4th go down, etc etc "

Astrid.Didier and perrinnation like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the W.A.F on thsi particular subject is very subjective:)

Astrid.Didier and MANDALAY like this.
  15. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Ha, I remember one time I just told my wife shut up and close her eyes while she was screaming.

MANDALAY likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Can I put forward 2 items that you have not mentioned.

The electrochromatic mirrors are well worth it. The standard rear view mirror is cheap and nasty

Spec leather or alcantara if you car has it for the roof material . Again the standard is cheap and nasty looks like scouring pad material.

Do the Xpel when you get the car that way the paint has had longer time to cure. All other items IMO ild miss on them bar the passenger display the F8 one is 100% better than the one on my 488 GTB

red308 likes this.
  17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    While we are talking about spec’s and my car is still green 10, the only other option I’ve been thinking of adding is the suspension lifter. I’ve read the older threads on this subject and would prefer not to add it, as I don’t believe I’ll need it on a regular basis. But I’m planning on driving this car more than most, and would hate to scrape the nose without it. What is everyone else doing?

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I personally wouldn't because the F8 in a way is different that it has black parts on the bottom , easily replaced or carbon fiber if you specéd it. The front of the bumper you can easily add a skid plate

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Weight wise it's a non-issue as it's like 7 kg added low in the car.

It does not change the ride either. Never knew anybody who needed it on a 488 though.

If it gives you peace of mind, sure it most definitely won't hurt anything and it's a fairly reliable system I believe.

In terms of resale not having it, is a dealbreaker for some. So there's that which speaks in its favour.

I can't speak for the F8, but the only place I've ever seen a 488 hit, is the rear diffuser fins during spirited driving and backing down off loading ramps.

20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Waste of money. I never used it on my 488. Did not spec it on my Pista. Have a steep driveway and it was never an issue at all including taking it up and down my lift.

The only time you need it is if you are going fast and you hit s dip in the road but even then it’s not going to help you cause the lift will not be up at those speeds.

Save your dollars.

Dicecal likes this.
  21. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Seems to be a consensus already, good because I didn’t really want to add it anyway...

SoCal to az likes this.
  22. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    That is interesting. My other cars have it so I just naturally assumed this one will need it too.

I remember passing on a Speciale because it didn't have it.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    For a Porsche- it’s needed. Ferrari may as well be a 4x4. Not needed.

24. red308

red308 Karting

Nov 13, 2006
    Pleasanton CA
    Another question -

Exhaust tips - I understand the black exhaust tips blending in with a black diffuser but why choose titanium over standard? Because the standard is chrome and the titanium is slightly gray matt finish? Worth the $2531?

25. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I went with the sport exhaust pipes with black tips, as I like the way the tips blend in with the diffuser. No need to highlight them in my view.

I believe the pricey titanium option is for the actual muffler assembly, not the tips. Ask your sales consultant to verify.