F8 vs. 296GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 vs. 296GTB

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by esabet, Oct 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

If at all possible listen to the premium and standard audio systems back to back, fade front to rear, then decide.

esabet and paulchua like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    So true!

3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    F8 all day every day and twice on Sunday. That of course is just my humble opinion!

Cigarzman, stretchgeneral and Drson like this.
  4. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    Quick update. Picked up the Roma. It has a great and joyful ride. Very power hungry as it seemed I couldn't go fast enough. Need a cop free Autobahn.......Lol! Too bad I couldn't keep it for long. I drove it directly from the showroom to have ppf applied PLUS Ceramic Pro. Can't wait till I can drive it again. :)

It was not enough time to order the new 296 so have an appointment to go in next week. Quick question, the Ferrari Configurator doesn't give many Giallo color option for the interior except for stitching. For example interior trims, piping, Daytona seat stripes and/or etc.. Does anyone know if the showroom would have those options?

Caeruleus11 and ryalex like this.
  5. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    You should also look at a Pista…..They, like all the rest of the F inventory are becoming more limited,but you will not be disappointed.

6. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    I will certainly look into the option. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Art138 likes this.
  7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    They can add the trim later for ordering, although some might be "Atelier" upgrades. The dealer side of the configurator is a different system than the public one.

8. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what do you mean by "Atelier upgrades"? Rather sound stupid and ask than stay stupid....LOL

c8spidey and ryalex like this.
  9. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    No worries this is awesome you're jumping in like this and ordering cars. So the dealer offers the standard options in the system, but can also enter in special orders at three different levels: Atelier, Tailor Made and Special Projects. https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/auto/personalization

My understanding is that your dealer can add some custom options (specific leathers, trims and paint extras) as "Atelier" but then once you hit a certain level of customization and options (I've heard $100-125k in options) you go to the Tailor Made level, where they have other selections of leathers, interior trim, paint schemes, etc. That's when you get $450-500k F8, or a $600k 812. I've seen a half million spent on a 488 TM.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Special Projects is the very limited level where you can have them design you a whole new one-off car. I've read it's $3,000,000 to start. Like this 812:

BJK, jm2 and esabet like this.
  10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thecadster, BJK and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  11. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    And this is why I am here on this Forum - people like yourself, not to leave out every single one of the members that have replied to my post....THANK YOU!!! You have made it crystal clear. I don't think, and don't have any intentions, to get to the Tailor level, at least not on my first order. :)

Natkingcolebasket69 and ryalex like this.
  12. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211030/444d6adbff1314799385775d5417e62b.jpg[/IMG
    [ATTACH=full]3227048[/ATTACH]

Went to 296 unveiling at Ferrari of New England tonight. Hard to get good shots with so many people all over it. This is a European version being trucked around the country to similar events. It goes back to Italy when the tour is done. After seeing it in the flesh, I am happy with my F8.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jm2 likes this.
  13. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    jm2 likes this.
  14. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Get the premium sound system as the base system is worthy of a YUGO(actually not even good enough)
    As for the responses being more pro F8 on this thread-remember many here have one or is incoming. The 296 is an unknown but I can tell you my opinion the 296 is every bit as good looking as the F8 and if it sounds better(hard to make it worse IMHO) it’s a big plus.
    Enjoy the Ferrariland trip- it’s like no other.

esabet likes this.
  15. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    Thank you for your input. Truly appreciate it. When I posted the question I wasn't expecting to hear all positives about one over the other especially since the 296 isn't really out yet. It can all be very subjective and personal. But if I can't order a new F8 then I don't see much option since I would never pay above MSRP. The notion of paying above MSRP for anything is simply against everything I belive in. Perhaps I am old school....
    Thank you for the heads up about the sound system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rossodino likes this.
  16. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    I just sat in a F8 at the dealer a few days ago with the standard stereo as I wanted to see if I should order the JBL system or not. The general manager paired my phone to the car and I played “Another One Bites the Dust” by Queen to test the bass and Mannheim Steamroller to test the highs. I was pleasantly surprised how good the standard system sounded especially when after adjusting the equalizer for more bass or treble. My hearing might not be as sensitive as others but for me the standard system was more than adequate.

Level7 likes this.
  17. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    By a long shot, has anyone had the opportunity to compare the advanced Bang & Olufsen sound system of a Lamborghini vs the standard Ferrari and the JBL sound system?
    I ask this question knowing that IMO out of all options in a car, the sound system could be most subjective especially in the higher ends. I think it is very safe to assume that Ferrari and cars in this class, the standard system isn't really "standard". If anything, and please correct me if I am wrong, it's a question of do you want an "A" class system or an "A+" class system - not a C class system vs an A class system. And that's why it can become so subjective. Some people have very tuned hearing. For them an A+++ won't be enough
    I guess if money is no object then go right ahead and check off all the boxes but that's not reality for most people.

18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Probably the ugliest engine bay ever produced by Ferrari. Not even sure what I’m looking at!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dohangs, darkbard and stretchgeneral like this.
  19. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Unless Ferrari has changed it’s base system in the last year it in a word rates an “F”. At low volume it sounds reasonable but as volume increases the bass bottoms out the speakers even when the EQ is set to it’s lowest setting and the treble sizzles.
    The JBL “Premium” system is a “B”- about as good as my JBL system in my Jeep Wrangler- it doesn’t break up at higher volume and treble and midrange are reasonable. Grade A systems which are OEM include the Burmeister and B&O systems I have heard in AMGs and MB Maybach, Naim in Bentley and Bespoke in RR.
    Many Ferrari owners haven’t complained about the base system because they,myself include, rarely turn them on and instead listen to the engine soundtrack- this was true with my 458S and 812SF. Fortunately I had the JBL system for my 488S as the engine soundtrack was monotonous after a while. I have the JBL system for my GTS but rarely use it but when I do it is at higher volume as the top is usually down.
    IMHO Ferrari should offer the JBL as the base system and something better as the premium. The additional cost to the buyer would be a drop in the bucket, relatively speaking.

20. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    I have personally listened to the B&O on Aston and the Lamborghini Urus. I would call rate the B&O system an A+ if not even higher. That is subjective to what my hearing is like. The B&O in those cars, again per my hearing, is truly phenomenal. Every tone is crisp and crystal clear.

The base system that you are describing on Ferrari sounds like what my 1989 Chevy Corvette sounded like.....Lol But I do understand your comment. Majority would want to listen to the music coming out of the engine as opposed to pulling the windows and top up to listen to a music.

BTW, what is the cost to upgrade to the JBL system?

21. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    $6300 for the JBL system- a Ferrari rip off although not as bad as the charge for a neutered Apple CarPlay
    The B&O system in my SLS 10 years ago cost $11K and was worth every penny.
    The difference between the JBL and the B&O is the seamless clarity even at high volume. The JBL gets the midrange right and doesn’t offend at the lows and high end but a lot of the details are lost compared to the “A” systems
    Sound systems in cars operate in a very adverse environment and even worse in an open car. But many car manufacturers have made great strides in optimization of their sound systems with the help of high end audio companies. Ferrari is not one or them .

NYC Fred likes this.
  22. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    The B&O on Aston was an $8K upgrade and perhaps more today. On Lamborghini it was closer to $10K. And, as you mentioned, worth every penny in my opinion as well.
    Since I am trying to stay in budget, it sounds like I need to pass on both the JBL system as well as the Apple CarPlay. It don't think these two options will really impact the resale value of the car and I can certainly put those $$$ towards "better" options.

I am new to Ferrari but it does sound like Ferrari needs to give some attention to the sound system, at least as an upgrade option.

ryalex likes this.
  23. Dane100

Dane100 Rookie

May 21, 2018
    Ferrari JBL premium sound system is way better than the **** Sensonum system offered in Lamborghini Aventador S. My 812 JBL system sounds 10 times better even though it's not the best.

24. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    I have never listened to the Sensonum system, only the B&O. I did some research on the Sensonum and it seems the majority is on your side .
    What I did learn from the dealer was that, although the JBL system is admittedly not the best of the best, given how poor the "standard" sound system is, it is a necessary upgrade especially when it comes to resale of car, . They have had customers walk away from an otherwise unbelievable cars simply because it only had the "standard" sound system. On the same note, the dealer strongly advised me against getting the Apple CarPlay. So I don't really think the dealer is simply trying to sell me the "upgrade".

25. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I agree with your dealer- you get what you pay for with the JBL system. The Apple CarPlay is not fully functional as in other cars plus you have to plug the phone in to use it on a screen marginally larger than the phone itself( depending on your phone may be smaller and no touch screen!) plus the charge is highway robbery…

stretchgeneral and esabet like this.