F8 vs 296GTB | FerrariChat

F8 vs 296GTB

Discussion in '296' started by ATLBond, Mar 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    I missed the F8 deadline by 12 days but rejoiced when 296GTB was announced. However, while the 296GTB sounds better in some aspects, F8 still seems to come out on top on a few aspects like top speed (211 vs 205) and significantly less MSRP than 296GTB. Am I the only one seeing this dichotomy? Is 296GTB really a step up or just a lateral move or worse, step down?

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The 296 is much quicker to 200 kph (124 mph), which is to be expected since it has 110 more CV and roughly the same weight. Top speed... well, I don't know if those 6 mph matter in the US. Perhaps on the Autobahn they would matter.

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I guess the 296 is at least 100 kg more than the F8.
    Ferrari official site says:
    F8 dry weight 1,330 kg (so kerb weight probably just under 1,500 kg)
    296 dry weight to power ratio = 1.77kg/hp (european ch) so 1,77x830 = 1469 kg
    With 1469 kg dry weight, the 296 is more around 1,600 kg dry weight.
    For performance figures the weight is always less important than pure power and power to weight, because for acceleration and speed it's not the weight that's more difficult to overcome (at low speeds, traction issues are the main factor while at high speeds air resistance is the main factor).
    Weight is a penalty for road holding and agility.
    Although Fiorano published times are probably adjusted for marketing purposes, they still provide some hints:
    Pista (720 hp): 1' 21.5"
    F8 (720 hp): 1' 22.5"
    296 (830 hp): 1' 21"
    With its power advantage the 296 should build a larger gap with the Pista, if it were not for the 296 significant weight penalty.
    The F8 number is probably artificially overestimated by Ferrari to preserve the Pista advantage (Pista is lighter, but with the same power I doubt the gap would be one full second, specially if the F8 would use the same high performance tyres).

4. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    You can add 100 kg without problem, at least !

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The SF90 Stradale has been weighed in at around 1700-1750 kg wet. According to Ferrari, the 296 will be about 100 kg lighter.

6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    That was my guess above, about 1,600 kg kerb weight, although I incorrectly wrote 1,600 kg dry (which did not make sense because the computation from power to weight ratio was already for dry weight at 1,469 kg).

REALZEUS likes this.
  7. DavisJ

DavisJ Karting

Dec 31, 2019
    most of us wont touch the capabilities of f8/296. It will be mostly about feel and subjective issues. i wanted the 296 to be great but as soon as i saw/read about the launch i ran to get my order in for f8 spider.

i have a 458 spider and love the looks and feel. I test drove the f8 spider and loved it. i really HOPE the 296 is a step up because i love ferrari but i did NOT want to pay more for higher risk new tech from Ferrari hybrid. The battery tech and some aspects maybe part of sf90 but there also many key differences.

currently interesting times for ferrari. you can only order two regular ferraris (roma/296). These icona cars are interesting. No special edition F8? when was the last time that happened?

in short look forward to the next iteration of the 296 but for now will stick to the last edition of the 458 platform (f8).

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The next Ferrari is always the best Ferrari….at least from a speed perspective… the 296 will be faster than an f8 it’s pretty sure. Interestingly enough Randy pobst was slower in the f8 than in the 488.
    I find the f8 to be stunning and I was really torn cancelling my order for a 296 which I believe won’t hold value like the f8 but it’s what it is….
    Subjectively I think the last true Ferrari is the 355 and the cars , exception of the special editions and 458, have been less and less fun to driver since then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I think either car is amazing. I have a 488 currently so although I liked the updates of the F8, I didn’t think they warranted the price to upgrade. I have ordered a 296 and am very excited to see what it is like! The differences you mentioned, to me would maybe matter if I were actually racing the car only since the ability for me to extract the all power and handling on the road is limited. I do like that 296 is completely new in design from my current car. The tech with the hybrid motors is a question mark. However, some of the YouTube reviews I’ve seen have mentioned that some of the concerns they had with the sf90 had been solved with the 296. Time will tell.

At the end of the day I would just go with whatever model speaks to you. My sa says there may not be much more time to order the 296 and I’m looking at an eye-popping 2 year wait right now! Good luck in your decision. The hunt is a lot of fun leading up to the purchase. Enjoy!

MANDALAY likes this.
  10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    i'd skip on the 296 tbh, I doubt you'll miss the extra power

11. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    The risk is next iteration will be even less ICE and more electric or worse all electric. The future clearly is for mouses that don’t squeak anymore.

LMH likes this.
  12. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I think that's pretty much certain

i'd get a used f8 or look into something older if you don't mind it being not as quick but more of an event, 458 spec / 360cs etc

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Typically the Ferrari sent for track tests were fine-tuned (in the case of the 488, even using semi-slick tyres that were not homologated with the car at the time).
    With the F8 they had the problem they did not want it to be too close to the Pista, so they probably left it un-optimised... In reality I guess the F8 is very close to the Pista performance-wise, since it has only limited weight and downforce penalties.
    The 296 is a newer generation with a lot more power, so in spite of its weight it will be faster than the F8 and Pista in all conditions.

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    For about 2 laps in Qualifying Mode and then the 296 is down on power as the EV battery is depleted compared to the F8 and Pista, so after a 10-15 lap track session, using drivers with equal skills, the 296 will clearly be behind. The "EV battery" is a short term boost, when exhausted you have to use a lower performance mode where the engine will have some of its power dedicated to charging the battery (additional clutch engages that reduces engine power to the wheels for purposes of re-charging the EV battery).

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #15 REALZEUS, Mar 15, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
    That's conjecture really. Even in Performance mode the car still has about 780 HP. Also, didn't SF90 Stradale owners say that the battery maintained a charge through braking and part throttle moments, even in Qualifying during track sessions?

16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/ferrari-sf90-stradale-new-series-production-supercar
    Performance: unlike ‘Hybrid’, this mode keeps the ICE running because the priority is more on charging the battery than on efficiency. This guarantees that power is instantly and fully available when required. This mode is best suited to situations in which driving pleasure and fun behind the wheel are the main focus.
    Qualify: this mode allows the system to achieve maximum power output by allowing the electric motors to work at their maximum potential (162kW). The control logic prioritises performance over battery charging.

as for 2 laps for maximum power, that is what was stated in multiple driving reviews as being referenced from Ferrari engineers

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    According to Ferrari the 296 weighs 35kg more than the F8 (dry weight). Seems to me the weight difference is not that big. I don't think the F8 sounds anywhere as good as the Pista, but I dont think the Pista sounds anywhere as good as the 458. The 296 so far sounds much better than the F8 but not sure about against Pista.

I realize this is not the 296, but when I drove the SF90 in Qualify mode, I drove it quite a spirited manner on some very twisty and hilly roads. Plenty of braking involved. When I began the battery showed ½ charge/ when I was done the battery showed full charge. Thats a real world experience. Im sure its possible if you have enough long and straight areas to be on it- but out on the road, I think if you use the brakes, you're going to regen.

18. keithos27

keithos27 Formula 3

Oct 26, 2012
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I'm not great with these message board websites... DM me, may have some pertinent information for you.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For the 35 kg weight difference, I think you're comparing the 296 dry weight with the F8 kerb weight.
    The 1.77 kg/hp quoted by Ferrari is specified for dry weight/power (according to Ferrari web site), which is consistent with 1470 kg being the dry weight, not kerb weight. And 1470 kg is also quoted as dry weight on the English version of the web site (in French it was not so clear, but I just double checked).
    For the F8, 1330 kg is quoted as dry weight and 1435 as kerb weight.
    So the difference in dry weights is 140 kg, and the difference in kerb weights is unknown as long as Ferrari does not release a kerb weight figure for the 296. It is unlikely to be less than 140 kg though.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

All I know is at fiorano the 296 is obliterating the f8 and the pista.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F2003-GA and Caeruleus11 like this.
  21. ATLBond

ATLBond Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    SR
    unable to locate the DM option, Keith. Sorry. BTW, I placed a deposit for 296GTB day before yesterday.

ryalex and keithos27 like this.
  22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    We all know these official Fiorano timings are to be taken with a grain of salt since they are under the exclusive control of Ferrari and its marketing department.
    Even if it were not the case, beating a car that has 110 hp less by only half a second (which I would not call obliterating), and only matching the time of the F12 TdF, are far from impressive results.
    With these numbers the 296 is providing the least it had to: beat the car with a lot less power, and just match the time of a less powerful large mid-front engined car with a heavy high-capacity V12 engine.
    Again, that is hardly an awesome achievement. And for me it betrays the 296 weight penalty (otherwise, how could it not be faster with more power, a rear-mid engine layout and a lighter downsized engine?)
    The F12 TdF is a LE car, so it has to be faster in spite of all its objective disadvantages ;)

paulchua and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Faster is faster;) cars are only gonna get heavier in the hybrid era, unless batteries miraculously get lighter.

Boomhauer, F2003-GA and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Right you are- my eyes must have skipped a spot when making the comparison. However, it is possible the kerb weight is a little less- what if the 296 holds less fluids?

25. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    This is all interesting. But I want to see a head to head review by a reputable outfit comparing the 296 to the F8, total road test. I want to drive up next to a 296 in my F8 and listen to the difference for myself. I want to park next to one and walk around them both and check them out personally. It will be a long time till then, but until then, I will take all comments on comparative sound or performance with a grain of salt.