F8 vs 488 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F8 vs 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hendry2019, Oct 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you considering F8 or keeping 488/458

1. Definitely going for F8 and will never look back

32.0%
  2. Yes, but I have to test her first in order to decide

5.3%
  3. Yes, but will wait till I see her in the street and check the reviews

5.8%
  4. No, she is not in my Radar!

22.3%
  5. No, I am happy with what I have now. But maybe in the future, who knows?

36.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nothing beats a N/A Ferrari V12 engine. Congrats!

Thecadster likes this.
  2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    To me the F8 is light years ahead of my 458. The only thing the 458 has is the orgasmic sound. But performance on the F8 is so much over and above the 458.

Boomhauer, MANDALAY and OSUferrari like this.
  3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #53 Coincid, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    Drove the F8 today. Will not dwell on the aesthetics as everyone here has eyes of their own. Personally, the car is inordinately attractive, aesthetically beautifully harmonious and artistically fluidly coherent.

The race seats are exceptionally comfortable, provide a high degree of support and fit the overall feel of the interior. Speaking of the interior, it is very pleasing to the eye and exudes luxe with a mix of excellent workmanship and high quality materials.

It is shocking that there are those who are oblivious to the differentiation of driving dynamics between the 488 and the F8. Personally, the elevation of of feedback with regards to steering and suspension is markedly apparent. The steering is more nimble, yet direct with a more tactile feel compared to the 488. The same applies to the suspension. I can only speak about how the car drove in race mode, but in direct comparison to the 488, the stiffer suspension elevated the sense of driver - car connectivity. Comfort was not thusly not compromised but the feel of the road surface was clearly more evident. Then there is the glory of the speed factor. The F8 feels notably quicker and acceleration is more linear with the virtual absence of turbo lag. This car is clearly a speed demon. The handling was exemplary with the grip being tenacious. Breaking was highly competent, with a predictable feel. Very similar to the 488. The DCT was lightningly quick perhaps a tad smoother than the 488.

Sound is an area of much controversy. The engine noise is within the realm of that created by the 488 but exhibits a slightly more lower frequency dominance. For those who prioritize engine sound to a significant level, might not be excited by what they hear. Those who do not, will be more than satisfied. The dealer advised that the valves can be opened which will appreciably heighten the sound pressure levels.

Overall, the F8 is a more compelling, engaging car. It is furthermore , at a higher level of objective technical excellence and abilities. While the 488 left me wanting, the F8 has moved in the direction that fits my preferences and priorities more fully. It still could use a greater dose of rawness and thrill factor. But make no mistake, the F8 is special.

96redLT4, SAT4RE, Cigarzman and 11 others like this.
  4. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the review! Fantastic news that they believe the valves can be permanently opened. Was this at FoO?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    What I really want to know is how does the F8 compare to the HP and are you moving forward trading in the HP for the F8?

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No . Ferrari of Miami.

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #57 Coincid, Dec 23, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    The HP is still more more compelling and viscerally engaging. The engine note of the HP is in a different realm of sensory excitement. The F8 feels tighter and stiffer and has a more refined driving persona. The F8 handily exceeds the 720s and 488 in its ability to unite objective excellences and subjective involvement. The F8 uncannily succeeds, more so than any other current super car ( excluding the Pista with which I have no personal experience ) in being stellar on virtually every parameter of performance and still capable of igniting passion, albeit not quite up to the stirring level of the Perf.

The comparison between the HP and F8, truly reduces down to personal predilections. At this juncture, I am torn between making a definitive choice between them. Both are are exceptional cars on every level. They are both highly desirable but each with their own innate personalities. I am leaning towards going to the F8 due to the fact that I am a supercar junky who has perpetual wanderlust.

Thecadster likes this.
  8. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    When in doubt wait it out. I would keep the HP until you can find a Pista that meets your criterion. Not sure going from a HP to an F8 is a move forward or even lateral. Passion is key and the HP has it in spades.

Coincid and Thecadster like this.
  10. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    nice review with some great insight info

Cheers

Coincid likes this.
  11. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Nice review - thanks.

Apart from newness, I think another big factor is brand attraction, since the HP and F8 end up trading punches pretty evenly, when all is said and done.

I ended up skipping the HP and it was a pretty easy decision, even after the time I spent at Imola with the factory.

Conversely, I am liking the history and passion of Ferrari, which you can feel in the product and from behind the wheel. They are just so "right" and if you have the want and ability to engage with the car, so all the more rewarding. For me Lambo are somewhat tending towards Audi.

12. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Wow, what a professionally written review!! Your words describe what I experienced but unable to write like you accomplished! Thank you

Coincid likes this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I do not echo your sentiments. I am still undecided about trading in the HP for the F8. I admire and respect the F8 but still feel a greater sense of emotional attachment to the HP. There is nothing about the Perf that is reminiscent of Audi. Furthermore , Ferrari legacy and history plays a minuscule part for me on making this decision. Ultimately the purchasing decision may be in abeyance until I drive the Pista.

Boomhauer and Thecadster like this.
  14. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I love Lambo had a Diablo SV for a short time. Would love to own another one, Aventador or it’s replacement. However for me if I have to choose one it’s Ferrari every time. There is just something about the story of Enzo Ferrari, the Ferrari racing history and the “Ferrari” factor that can’t be explained.

Of course that is just my worthless .02 cents.

15. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    You missed my points:

- I said that Lambo was tending towards Audi, which is fact considering ownership and their corporate ethos/direction. You only have to look at Porsche.

- I also said that you can feel history and passion from behind the wheel i.e. they are race developed pedigree drivers products.

If you drive an R8 then a Huracan, while the Lambo influence is measurable, its not possible to ignore the commonalities (engine, drive train, infotainment, plus whatever else under the skin).

..... but never mind, this isn't a Lambo v Ferrari thread and was good to read your words, since I haven't had the chance to drive the F8 yet, so thanks :D

16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I did not miss any of your points. There is no Audi influence apparent in the Performante in terms of driving dynamics, appearance, interior design and any other parameter.

When I drive Ferraris, and I have experienced them all from the 355 onward and owned a 430, my focus is on the driving experience. I realize for some, heritage and prestige of the marque is highly significant. For me, it is not. Driving the 488 was not passion filled. On the contrary, it was precisely that sensation of emotion and exhilaration that was vividly absent. Happy to report, the F8 has once again captured the excitement of being behind the wheel of a stellar car that excels both technically and subjectively.

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You were told that the valves can be opened ?

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Yes. Dealer advised that wound not be a problem. Confirmed that no engine performance downside. Engine sound is noticeably enhanced.

MANDALAY likes this.
  19. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Not sure how a Dealer could say and confirm this on a car they most likely had for a couple of days as it traveled to other Dealers for test drives. Sounds like typical dealer/sales talk to me - just my opinion.

20. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Yes agreed.
    Did the same with my 2019 488 Spider on the first day of the delivery and never looked back. To me was a great enhancement of the sound especially below 2500-3000RPM

21. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    No it is not a dealer word for sale purposes . It is technically 100% no impact on the car. Basically the valve opens over 2500RPM, so during cruising through neighborhood they will not hear ya if you drive slowly.
    It is just European thing about the sound. That’s all and confirmed by a trusted Ferrari technician.

i did it on my 488 spider and i guess this should apply on F8 as well.

22. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    After an extensive discussion in the other thread, I thought the consensus was that this would not be possible due to post-cat pressure sensors?

My understanding is that the valves on the F8 are unlike previous models which can be “open” or “closed” at any given time. Instead, the valves on the F8 open dynamically with different throttle input, RPM and back pressure levels. The GPF is integrated into this system and will not function properly if anything is changed. Due to this, messing with the valves will require a total ECU re-map (and voided warranty) if one wishes to avoid engine failure.

I am hoping this was just a bunch of overreaction in the other thread and that coincid’s dealer knows what they’re talking about. But there are several members who seemed to be very certain that simply unplugging the valves will no longer be an option moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Prudent choice. Agreed the Huracan modern interior/tech with the digital cockpit and driver-centric design is more modern and a nice place to be. The reliability of my Huracan has been stellar which is a benefit from VAG ownership (knock on wood) while I had the usual battery issues on my California and 458 (even though the 458 was only a few months old and both were plugged in regularly with the OEM battery tender). Also had the 458 hardtop folding mechanism fail after only 18 months. Don't have to plug the Huracan battery tender nightly anymore either, battery is far more durable in the 2 Huracan's I've owned.

Thought the GPF precluded permanent opening of the exhaust valves as per ferrarifanatic25's post above?

24. Hendry2019

Hendry2019 Karting

Jan 2, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Hendry
    Is the for F8 only? Because it was done perfectly on 488 with no issue at all and assumed the same should apply on F8 with no issue.

25. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I wonder how the F8 compares to the Pista. I personally think the Pista is the best looking Ferrari in a long time. Looking forward to the special version of the F8. When I saw the F8 for the first time, I wasn’t really blown away.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app