FAA test of the 737 Max | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FAA test of the 737 Max

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by TheMayor, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Wuite an insightful explanation of the issues.
    Thank you!

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^^^

Long term storage procedures include draining and replacing fluids with preservative compounds. Plus all the sealing of the engines and other systems. You wonder when Boeing and the airlines that had MAX's in service realized that the grounding was going to be for a long time and accomplished this on their aircraft. Then, as you note, all this has to be undone to put back into service plus a lot of other checks.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    All of the delivered ones are out of annual at this point, so whatever calendar items have piled up will have to be done, along with some phase checks, probably.

jcurry likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    By the way, did anyone on this forum fly in a MAX before they were grounded? Any comments?

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    QUOTE: Long term storage procedures include draining and replacing fluids with preservative compounds. Plus all the sealing of the engines and other systems. You wonder when Boeing and the airlines that had MAX's in service realized that the grounding was going to be for a long time and accomplished this on their aircraft. Then, as you note, all this has to be undone to put back into service plus a lot of other checks.

A couple of points:

One can get into trouble if the storage was done to a short term plan but, as has happened with the Max, it needed to became the long term plan without making the change. Hopefully no one made that mistake.

There is a way to make a claim of "in maintenance" which will stop the clock on many of the calendar items. One will still change all the filters and check for leaking seals as part of the Return to Service checks.

Depending upon how anyone decided to do their storage program, the engines and APU could be picked or they could have done runs on a scheduled basis.

In the end, each of these Max will have to undergo their proscribed Return to Service work package plus do all the mandated changes for the software change and the rerouting of some wiring.

IF an airline has a Max 8 already delivered and is currently operating a -800, it would make sense to replace the -800 in the fleet since it will cost less to operate the newer aircraft.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner

Yes on AA. I talked to several crews about the aircraft after the Lion crash and judging by their responses was not affraid. They all knew how to hand fly the aircraft :)

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Did you see that Alaska is replacing a bunch of their A320s with MAXs? I'm sure they got a screaming deal.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The way Boeing had Max's stacked together on ramps around Boeing Field and Renton I doubt they could do any engine runs.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    In the employee parking lots :)

Jacob Potts likes this.
  10. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Wuite.......your welcome!!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Ha, I was waiting for your reply... :)

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    No, I had not seen that. Wondering if the A320 go back to the Virgin America fleet and they had planned to dispose of them anyway. And, yes, taking Max positions now probably came with some fantastic incentives. Even airlines that haven't cancelled their orders are rescheduling so there may be what are effectively "white tail" opportunities.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That is how USAF bought the 747-8s for the new AF One.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Boomhauer likes this.
  15. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I’ve ferried three this month to go back into service. In my opinion, it’s a great flying plane. No issues other than it taxis really fast with those Leap engines.

cheers
    Dave

Jaguar36 and Bob Parks like this.
  16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Good airplane. Sloppy managers.

17. JLL

JLL Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Norcal
    Full Name:
    Lane
  18. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agreed, Bob. I have a few thousand hours in 75/76s and my first impression with the Max was that it flew like a cross between those two and handles more like Heavy. Takes some getting used to with switchology between the -800, but that’s minimal.

cheers
    Dave

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    "Boeing has recommended to 16 customers that they address a potential electrical issue in a specific group of 737 Max airplanes prior to further operations," the company said.
    Airlines need to verify that one of the components of the plane's electrical system is sufficiently grounded, Boeing stated.

American said the issue does not affect the 24 737 Max jets it had in its fleet before the original grounding
    it involves only the 17 jets that were built during or after the grounding and delivered to the airline since November.

>>> Surprised something like this is on 'new' builds.