Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Timmo. No, but on his 599.

2. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Sorry Erik, I did not understand this?
    I understood from your previous post that DZ96 has, on his 599, Fabio's 6-1 headers with cats, Fabio's rear mufflers and straight-through center pipes featuring a silencer each?

F456M likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not without something in there to dampen things. I already tried that with Fabio's headers and cats, OEM straight center pipes, and Superamerica HGTC exhaust that is designed to work with straight pipes. Droned in that configuration. Daniel had Fabio fabricate two small inline mufflers for him on one of his Ferraris, I
    believe.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Yes he just told me that with the mini center mufflers the sound was so much more refined. What the rear components are, is not something I remember. Might be the HGTE sport mufflers. He can or might or should answer these questions himself. :)

5. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi

Setup at my 550 :
    Fabio's 6-1 headers
    Fabio's cats
    Fabio's connection pipes to the center
    Fuchs straight pipes with small connection window between left and right (like a X-pipe light)
    Fuchs rear mufflers without valves

Setup at my 599 :
    Fabio's 6-1 headers
    Fabio's cats
    Fabio's absorbation silencers (geometry similar like original cats)
    original straight pipes
    original rear mufflers with valves

So the 550 has a connection between left and right and the 599 not

550 :
    I have some very very light drone after coldstart at the 550, only the first minutes, then no drone at all driving situations

599 :
    I have no drone at all driving situations

Daniel

F456M and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  6. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  7. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    #233 Timmo, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Thank you DZ-96 for this precise input and feedback.

I am not an exhaust expert but this suggests to me that a pair of silencers placed, on a 550, somewhere after Fabio's cats and valved rear mufflers may eliminate the drone whilst keeping both exhaust lines separated completely, which a V12 needs to achieve peak performance.

I am surprised that such a configuration does not seem to have been explored further. I understand that many 550 owners enjoy the early 90s F1 sound allowed by the double H pipe set up that Fabio has on offer, but I am sure that a little less aggressive sound, which I was talking about a few pages earlier, would appeal to some 550 owners who like me appreciate the 550 as a relatively "low key" and elegant Ferrari V12, the last before the 550 I can think of being the 275 GTB(/4).

F456M likes this.
  8. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    To be honest.

Speaking of F1 sound is not really the truth.

The Ferrari F1 V12 engines had 6-2-1 headers and the high pith sound came from the rev and not from the headers.

Better let's say 599 GTO/F12/812 sound.

Daniel

F456M likes this.
  9. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    When you order your a complete F system with exhaust headers does it all arrive in one box ?

Most likely we will be traveling to N. Italy during 2022 and I wanted to know if I can check the box, with Aircargo.

I assume it is not heavy.

10. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    The complete system headers, cats, h pipe and mufflers is two boxes. The larger box is too big for one person to pick up. It’s heavy and too larger to get your arms around for a real grip. I had to make a makeshift ramp to push it into my SUV trunk when taking to get installed since I didn’t have a second set of hands. The smaller box can be loaded into a SUV by one person but it’s not child’s play either. Hope that helps!

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Headers and parts are not too heavy, but all the wood crating is.

12. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    This appears to not be a good idea to pick up the items and bring everything with you to the airport when you are going to exit Italia.

F456M likes this.
  13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Good way to get a hernia. Not going in an overhead bin, either. Best to let Fabio ship them to exactly where you want them. Mine went direct to my techs.

ralfabco likes this.
  14. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Hi all: is the consensus that going with Fabio’s castles headers (versus his headers with the 200 cell cats) does not increase the pitch of the exhaust sound?

To phrase the question another way: is the sound difference between the catless headers and the headers + cats a difference in volume, but not pitch?

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mine are plenty loud with the cats, especially with bypass valves set at open.

16. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I am catless and though the pitch seems the same, there also seems to be much more "bass" like a racecar would have. It makes sense because there is less in the way to break up the longer wavelengths from the combustion cycle. But it is also addressable with mufflers or resonators because of the increase in decibel level.

When my car was straight piped through open Tubis, standing behind the car at idle felt like I was tapping my chest with my fist. It is amazing how much air these engines like to eat. For catless I highly recommend a center muffler or valved rears, and Ferrari's Go-Flow tune.

F456M, dhalperin13 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  17. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Did the straight piped car have Fabio's exhaust headers ?

Generic straight pipes or a name brand ?

Do you have any videos or sound-clips with the straight piped car ?

18. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    #244 niftyfivefifty, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Yes, Fabio's catless race headers, Fabio's open H-pipes, OEM s-pipes, and Tubi Competition mufflers. It was a ton of fun, but a bit too loud at 113db at the rear bumper at idle:

19. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #245 ralfabco, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021

Awesome.

Thanks for posting the info and the video.

This will definitely attract the attention of a typical Mustang GT 5.0. This is the best reason to buy :D.

Neighbors will love it.

The euro is down in relation to the $.

F456M likes this.
  20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, that is loud with a capital L.

F456M likes this.
  21. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for the insights gentlemen, sounds like the headers with the 200 cell sport cats are the way to go.

niftyfivefifty likes this.
  22. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm finally taking delivery on the 575. Some parts availability issues have drug this out for an extra couple of months. I excited to get the car just in time to put her to bed for the winter here in balmy New Hampshire. Terry, a couple of months ago, you suggested I ask you about some straight pipes. Can we reengage that conversation?

23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- My factory straight center pipes are likely sitting unused in Nashville after I went to an H pipe to get rid of resonance with Fabio's headers. For an early factory exhaust, just changing the center resonator/muffler for straight pipes will make her louder and more powerful. Too loud if you have Tubis.

24. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The car seems to be a mid-year '02, all stock. I had really good success when I replaced the center resonator on the 456M with Bradan straight pipes. Nice throaty burble without being loud, droning, or annoying the missus. I've followed all the configuration discussions here and since Fabio's headers might be a consideration in a few years, a center resonator to straight pipe swap seems a nice first step. If you're considering letting them go, I'm interested. I'll need to heal a bit before trying to crawl around on the cold concrete. Just had my right rotator cuff and bicep tendon reconstructed earlier this week.