Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m excited about this but I’m confused in that if all three headers aren’t subject to the same situation how does the comparison work?

on my diesel tow rig I’ve got an analog EGT gauge….it seems like all cars would have to have the same EGT and then measure outside the header to get how efficient the coating works?

Not “poo-poo’ing” the exercise just wanting to learn how it works?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #377 Auraraptor, Jun 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    We would need to do an apples to apples comparison.

Same engine type (575 v 550), same engine temp, near similar ambient temp.

It is a great idea though.

Most OEM headers are double walled for head shielding while most aftermarket exhausts are single walled. This results in increased engine bay temps (and risk for melted plastic/damaged connectors).

Ceramic coating mitigates that (in theory).

Generally speaking in terms of quality of modulating heat, order it is***:

double walled >> wrap >> ceramic coating >> no coating​

Wraps can be dangerous though with cars that tend to leak as they can soak up oil/fluids and become a fire risk. I would not wrap a Ferrari header but I have also been chasing leaks for nearly 2 decades across multiple cars and don't feel like going up in a fireball.

***THIS ASSUMES IDENTICAL FLOW. Obviously Fabio's headers have massively improved flow on the 575 (less so on 550s) which will also drop temperatures as well. Particularly if you removing pre-cats as cats are massive heat boxes. Point is, this is why without formal testing we have no idea.

NE550 and Bas like this.
  3. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is good feedback. Yes, of course in a perfect world we would have identical circumstances. I was thinking for this exercise to shoot temps with the car fully up to operating temperature. Shoot the temps of the header pipes themselves and also a couple of adjacent areas that we can predetermine. Do this at idle, then have a helper rev the car to a particular number (say 3k for example), and shoot the pipes again. Just looking for some basic data points to give us a general idea of how hot these run compared to stock and whether or not ceramic coating seems to be a worthwhile endeavor. Not an exact science by any means, but I know several people have been talking about the idea of Ceramic coating these headers (according to Fabio also), so this could help inform their decision.

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I really like all of this.

To touch on @Auraraptor ….my engine builder on #projecttalladega very specific told me to NOT wrap (traditional method) for the collection of moisture perspective as well.

dumb question but I swear I also recall hearing or reading that if they are Virgin then one coats the interior and exterior of the pipes? I could be mis-remembering……

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Moisture is not as big a deal when wrapping stainless pipes but you still can have a host of issues...

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Great point. The headers on my race cars hadn’t been stainless.

7. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just curious, did you also have to pay around $180 for customs clearance?

8. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes

Auraraptor likes this.
  9. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Thanks. Not bad price all things considered….

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm also not a fan of heat wrapping exhausts. Looks cool but the aforementioned oil/fluid leak on the cloth can catch fire and well, goodbye Ferrari.

1 of my friends had it happen to his car and it burned down completely (a nissan), several people I know had fires happen and the fingers pointed to the wrap as most likely culprit.

Ceramic coating is the way forward. And oh boy does something like zircotec insulate well!

11. Maxige

Maxige Karting

Jun 5, 2005
    London/Milan
    Full Name:
    Max
    Morning to the Fabio’s community !!

I decided to sell my 575 and as a consequence Fabio’s exhaust is currenty being removed !

If anyone is looking for a full system (6-1 Headers, High Flow Cats, Double H center pipes, Custom valved rear mufflers, Manual bypass opening kit) that has been just used for 500 miles and it’s in as new conditions let me know…

It will be shipped with original Fabio’s crates and all the bits needed.

12. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The car sounded amazing. Can I ask why you are selling it? Always love to hear your views.

13. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Max
    Are you interested in selling the headers and cats alone?
    David

14. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I agree, I am curious why as well.

The only 'con' is despite its high cost, it does not seem to add any value (if anything ?detract) on the resale market. This is bizarre in my opinion but the Ferrari market is bizarre

Either way I am sure it will sell very quickly!

15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The Ferrari market is funny/particular like like. I bought my valved exhaust from @root and I think him getting the value from me and switching his 550 back to stock for sale was the right move as it felt like he got a good price on BaT and I am sure he did better by selling his exhaust and other wheels separately.

I would also think Maxige will have a brisk sale.

@Maxige for fun can you share a link to the aforementioned videos?

16. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    I finally got around to making a video of my 550 with Fabio's exhaust

Auraraptor and Aerosurfer like this.
  17. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Love it! #yesfriends
    Thanks for sharing!

TJsBeer likes this.
  18. cmac131313

cmac131313 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    What setup is this? Full exhaust with headers and x pipe/muffler?

19. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    H-Pipe and valved mufflers.
    I leave the valves open all the time and this was filmed with external mic at the back of the car.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  20. cmac131313

cmac131313 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Hard to ask, but how "loud" is that setup? You clearly enjoy around town for spirited driving and it isn't too much?

21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #396 Ferrari55whoa, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Lets see if this video link works?

This was a G-rated tunnel run because I wasn't sure if they were running any photo radar.

This is Fabio's muffler with the bypass open. OEM 550 headers, cats, bradan center.

https://youtube.com/shorts/TQocy6SGDqs?feature=share

22. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I acknowledge this movie is not culturally sensitive nowadays (while still funny)…..but this movie quote is what I thought of today while I was slow driving through Los Gatos and then hit the remote for the bypass on Fabios mufflers…..it went from normal to…”do you mind if we dance with your dates”! :cool:

23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  24. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    Hi all: Ive read through this thread on several occasions, but can't remember if anyone has commented on whether there is a difference in the pitch of the exhaust between the catalyzed and race/noncatalyzed headers. I understand that the catless headers will be louder, but am curious as to whether there is a higher pitch with the race headers. Links to videos of the race headers would be appreciated. Anyone have any insight into this question?

25. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I am sorry if this was answered earlier but is Fabio's standard rear muffler a clone of the OEM HGTC muffler or is it louder/different in some key way? I know His standard rear uses the same double pipe design with valves as well.