Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Not yet, I am planning to do a smoke test this weekend, but I am 99% sure it is a vacuum leak because it goes away with use/heat expansion, and it also goes away as RPMs climb. Does yours improve with driving? Does it sound like a Subaru until it reaches higher RPMs? Do you know which CEL code it is throwing?

2. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    It has a rough idle on start and then seems to drive fine. Codes has been all over...1602,1287,1288,1038,1040 Had a P0306 and replaced a bad coil assembly. Replaced a few sensors at first and that did nothing. Rechecked all the sensor connections, did a continuity check , by pin, on the connector back to the ECU.

3. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Yeah that all sounds very familiar. I was chasing what I thought were ignition issues too, and I even replaced the left coil because my misfires were all left bank, as well as all spark plugs wires. I'd recommend a smoke test for yours. I just bought a generic kit off of eBay for $70 so we will see if it is able to expose the leak.

4. Roger_N

Roger_N Rookie

Mar 9, 2021
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Heya - I bought the Grigio Alloy 550 that was for sale at Ferrari SF. It has the double H pipe, rear valved mufflers, remote valve control.
    I'm obviously new to this muffler system (and Ferraris!)-- I was playing around with valve remote controller and could see the butterfly valves "wiggle" and partially open when turned on but not fully open. Is this by design? Does that not fully open unless at full throttle at speed?
    Also, is the functionality in any way related to "sport mode"?
    Thanks in advance!

niftyfivefifty likes this.
  5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #80 Ferrari55whoa, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    @tazandjan Terry has the remotes so he can answer.

I thought Fabio had told me that had been put on the car semi recently so I was surprised the car sold so close to the install (given the sizable cost). I hope the consignment sale wasn’t something bad like prior owner poor health.

I really like that color.

Ash at the dealer mentioned he had a few interested parties so I assume it traded close to the asking price?

Doing this on my phone and can’t tell if you are in the Bay Area but if so we need to have a group meet up later this spring (socially distanced).

P.s. welcome to the Fabio brotherhood those cars are included in the “Unicorn Class”! ;-)

6. Roger_N

Roger_N Rookie

Mar 9, 2021
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Thanks.
    Yeah, I was surprised to hear it was put on the car only in November.
    Yes, it went for close to asking price-- i snatched it up pretty quick.
    I'm here in SF-- meetup sounds like a great idea. I'm new to these cars (Porsche guy) so I have a learning curve ahead of me.
    Cheers.

F456M likes this.
  7. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #82 Ferrari55whoa, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    I’m really looking forward to it, there is actually a good sized group of SF bay guys. If you are a Porsche guy.... @p1turbo ...search his threads... I’ve not met him but I love high mile stories so between his big mile 575 and his monster high mile Porsche 993 he is a hero.

A few months back I went to the exotics in Milpitas show and it didn’t disappoint - I put some photos up in the NorCal forum section.

I missed the recent event a few weeks ago as it fell on my daughters 5th bday.

Roger_N and F456M like this.
  8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    F456M likes this.
  9. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Congrats, that is a beautiful car for a great deal. Any big plans for it?

Roger_N likes this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    575M bypass valves are fail closed, so it takes vacuum to open them. Our V12s do not generate a ton of vacuum at idle, so what you are likely seeing is the available vacuum fighting the closing springs. Have someone run up the engine while you watch and you should see the valves open completely at pretty low revs. If not, you may have a vacuum leak. The valves also work better when they are warm.

On the 575M, Sport does not affect the opening of the valves compared to Normal. On later Ferraris, the manettino setting does affect valve opening, but not in Sport or Race.

11. Roger_N

Roger_N Rookie

Mar 9, 2021
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Roger Nelson
    Ah, thanks. I actually have a 550 but assume what you're saying about the 575M is the same.
    Yeah, I will have the guys check the vacuum lines.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    550 has similar fail closed valves, just a different opening schedule for the bypass solenoid.

13. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
    To the Fabio Brotherhood - my '99 Rosso Corsa 550 came from its prior home with a Tubi muffler mod (could be just the mufflers, the remaining parts of the system appear to be stock), and I've gotta change it. IMO the sound just isn't proper Ferrari. I tried to reach out to our man via his website, but he never responded to my inquiry as to ordering parts. Do you guys know the best way to order his system from him? I presume he'll ship to the USA.

Also, any thoughts as to leaving the stock headers alone, and just doing his Double H-Pipes with the valved Mufflers? Or would you recommend the header change as well?

Thanks much!

14. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    John, PM me your email address and I'll get it to Fabio. I suggest headers. :)

15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My experience is he is very fast on Instagram.

niftyfivefifty likes this.
  16. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Like Eric said, message him on Instagram and he will likely reply very quickly.

My car came with Tubis only as well. You might want to try them with headers, cats, and h-pipe or x-pipe with your Tubis if doing it in stages is the desired approach. The headers make the biggest improvement, and the midpipe type is personal preference. Headers + no cats + open h-pipe + Tubis is crazy loud, but cats seem to make it just right without going to a valved muffler. Fabio’s mufflers are works of art, and the ideal solution. I am curious to hear a car with Fabio’s headers and OEM mufflers with the valves open.

17. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Definitely from the o2 sensor placement. I did the same layout when swapping 550 manifolds on my 575 and on cold starts it has rough idle for ~10 seconds during warm up. The 550 manifolds are an easy fix by extending the o2 sensors down to the collectors. But I'm not sure how the primary o2 sensors will respond with the 6-1 configuration. Maybe it can be tuned out as the primary location is good for actual reading while driving.

dhalperin13 and niftyfivefifty like this.
  18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    the headers make the real difference. If you want a really good set up, I would suggest you get the headers + corresponding catalyzers, X-pipe and use your Tubi or OEM mufflers. That will (most probably) be really musical sound.

19. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    By a 550 owner saying the headers make the biggest improvement. This will go double for the 575M.

On my 575M the 550 manifolds made the second biggest power gain after bumping the entire system diameter up and deleting all restriction in the exhaust. So if you're going with a bolt on exhaust, the headers will likely be the biggest source for power gain and volume.

F456M and NE550 like this.
  20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It would be cool if you did a dyno run to see what it can make for horsepower. And compare to another similar 575 with full stock exhaust.

Il Tifoso and white out like this.
  21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Fabio on Instagram just posted a 599 with his setup in Vegas and it sounds ROWDY! Wow

white out likes this.
  22. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Fabio told me that the OEM 550 headers flow pretty well for a factory design. He said his 6-into-1 headers will gain maybe 25-30 HP over stock 550 headers, vs. around 80 HP over stock 575 manifolds. Big difference!

MaurizioAM, white out and root like this.
  23. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Crazy, so there are 2 black 599s in the western USA with Fabio’s headers (the other is Sam in Utah, my599gtb on IG). I bet one of those motors in a 550 would be fun (and bigger brakes!).

F456M likes this.
  24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    A friend of mine in Norway just bought 6-1 headers for his 599 GTB too! Someone is happy these days! An money coming in! Well deserved.

25. MaurizioAM

MaurizioAM Karting

Sep 5, 2018
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Maurizio
    I'll be joining the party soon as well. Just put an order in for double H pipe and valved sport mufflers for my 456m. Hoping Its the sound I'm looking for.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Roger_N and niftyfivefifty like this.