Fabrication and Machining | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fabrication and Machining

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MK1044, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Its a scratch built machine. Started a few years ago as just something I threw together with spare parts just to see if it would work. Since then its grown up to a pretty capable machine. This is what it looks like today and is capable of making decent Aluminum parts. The other picture is a rendering of what it will hopefully look like soon after I replace the wood frame with a steel one. That should allow me to increase my machining speed significantly and hopefully (with a nee spindle) let me make steel parts as well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

MK1044 likes this.
  2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I like that a lot. If you are in the mood to provide any details, especially regarding the controls and drives for the auto feeds, I'd like to know more.

3. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Sure, The frame right now is made of 2x4s, the new version is going to be made of steel tube. It has Rexroth linear bearings of different sizes on each axis, 50mm, 35mm and 20mm. It has Nema 23 Stepper motors to drive ballscrews on each axis. The steppers are powered by some generic drivers and are fed by an Arduino Uno running GRBL. The Ardinuo is fed by a PC running BCNC. BCNC sends the commands whenever windows feels like it filling a buffer on the Arduino, with GRBL then sending the pulse commands to the stepper drivers at the precise time required. Since all the software is open source and the Uno is dirt cheap its a very inexpensive setup and works very well.

Thats a super high level overview, if there is anything specific you're curious about let me know.

MK1044 likes this.
  4. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Thanks, buddy. You've given me a lot to think about.

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great thread! I moved in this direction once I got a big enough garage. After refurbishing this 1941 South Bend Tooling Lathe I have been looking for things to make and honing my skills. The best website I have found is Practical Machinist . com.

So far I haven't made anything for a car, but I made lots of things for the lathe and a couple things for the house! Oh I did make a special threaded adapter for my vespa rear view mirror!

This is old school analog machining and I find that I can pass the hours away just making chips or figuring out order of operations and setting up to make what I need. I am very well read on the subject matter and have a sufficient amount of practical experience now if I can help any discussions along. Cheers

Image Unavailable, Please Login

INTMD8, Jaguar36, JCR and 1 other person like this.
  6. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Respect.

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks, I am just catching up with your threads you posted in the OP. Good job making that nice spacer. I am far away from most everyone but if there is something that is needed I can also lend a hand. Cheers

MK1044 likes this.
  8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The Sherline is a very light duty machine. Older used American lathes are out there if you look.

MK1044 likes this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I only have room for a small, light duty machine.

10. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    What do you have in mind to do with it, John?