FABSPEED MOTORSPORT | Ferrari 360 & 430 Sport Headers | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FABSPEED MOTORSPORT | Ferrari 360 & 430 Sport Headers

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fabspeed Motorsport, Dec 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Hey guys, this is Evan. This question was recently brought to my attention. Since we all know that Ferraris can be rather confusing, and since I conduct the majority of my business with Ferrari header sales, I thought I would chime in.

With the 360 and the F430 both having pre-cats in the headers, it is not a guarantee that you will get a CEL by just replacing the headers. However, as cm2 stated, it is more likely that you will receive a CEL by doing just headers than it is by just doing the sport cats.

The reason is that the 360 and F430 headers have the pre-cat O2 sensors before the cat in the headers. So naturally, when you remove those, you are removing 50% of the scrubbing power that the rear O2 sensor sees to determine if the cats are working or not.

When you do the Fabspeed headers and the Fabspeed Sport cats, you actually have less of a chance of throwing a CEL than by just doing the headers alone. That's because the HJS 200-cell directional cats that we used are designed to handle 100% of the emissions burden. When you remove the factory headers, the remaining factory cats were never designed to bear the full brunt of emissions, thus illuminating a CEL.

We do offer O2 extenders, which seem to have about a 75% success rate. I have been trying to determine a pattern of which cars get a CEL and which cars don't. To date, I have not been able to determine any type of specific condition that makes one car get a CEL with just headers and one car not get one. The Ferraris seem to be totally random and sometimes finicky, as I am sure you all know :p

2. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    So if I was to remove my stock exhaust headers, and installed the fabspeed headers.. What do I need to do so I don't get a cel light?

3. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    For the F430 headers, we include a set of O2 Sensor extenders in the price of the headers. This is really the only easy and cheap option to help keep the CEL off. Other options include the ECU tune, which as stated elsewhere in this thread, does keep the CEL off and does give you a significant performance increase.

The other option is to run O2 sensor emulators. These need to be wired in and I have not done enough testing with proven results to offer these directly to consumers with confidence, yet.

In any event, the Fabspeed headers are proven and completely worth doing given the high failure rate of the OEM headers. I will take a small chance of a meaningless CEL for cat efficiency over a destroyed engine by factory headers any day.

4. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #29 Fabspeed Motorsport, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    #30 sparetireless, Sep 20, 2015
    You are correct, but when I put the stock valves back in, it became best of both worlds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    So Fabspeed you can confirm that ALL PARTS for your F430 headers are now made in the USA and no longer in Taiwan or anywhere else outside of the USA ?

7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
  8. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    one way is to move one of the O2 sensors aft of the main cat, it requires welding in a female threaded fitting, this is the same set up as on the '99 360's.

9. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Nice valve Job... I like having valves.gives best of both worlds

10. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    I have a set of ceramic coated Fabspeed headers and I periodically get CEL's and have also managed to melt the Emergency Cable 3 times. The last new cable installed was encased in race car heat shielding tubing. My 360 runs normal with all operating temperatures per the user manual. Help!

11. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Cooked the cable also

$1500 with labor

I insulated it

We'll see if we solved it

OEM headers are expensive and will probably fail again so fab speed is trying to help solve the issue

China vs USA who cares

There is a problem here that all 360 face that they are trying to solve

If you have a better idea lets hear it

No affiliation

12. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    Would heat blankets prevent your emergency cable from melting?

13. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    No clue if heat blankets would reduce the heat enough to stop the emergency brake cables from melting. When I purchased the Fabspeed headers I spent an extra $400 in the ceramic coating because I was told the ceramic coating would reduce the heat in the engine compartment.

14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Does visual inspection include pre cat components? In this case the headers will fail?
    I know you mentioned a client of you is located in CA but that doesn't mean he is doing it kosher or giving an extra tip under the table for the visual.
    What is the real deal with CA?

15. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #40 metaldriver, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    I compared the factory exhaust header part numbers of the base 360 and steroid 360 this morning, and they are the same. The part numbers of the main cats are also the same, down to the lambda sensors and the thermocouple.

That leaves two (perhaps more such as matched cylinder head ports) possibilities for the horsepower increase ... the less restrictive muffler and the engine ECUs have different fuel-timing maps.

16. metaldriver

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Install spacers between the bung and the sensor. This moves the sensor away from direct exposure to any unburned hydrocarbon in the exhaust gas stream as it is flowing past the connection point. This "fools" the ECU to not think there is a rich condition. In truth, because the pre-cats are removed, the main cats will have to work a bit harder. Over time (one month, one year, one decade) the elements in the main cats could degrade a bit, resulting in a CEL. But to me that is just a collateral result when installing aftermarket performance parts.

I will be installing headers soon and up until now, planned to also replace the main cats. My research ... YMMV ... leads me to believe the factory cats will work fine with four lambda sensors. (Most folks, myself included, call them O2 sensors. But to the emissions geeks, they are lambda sensors.)

There is no guaranteed result, because one 360 can experience CELs but another with the same mods won't. This could be due to the car's age, how it is driven, summer blend gasoline versus winter blend gasoline, etc. So many variables to conclusively declare "With these or those mods you will or will not get a CEL."

17. Joe6749

Joe6749 Karting

Jan 3, 2015
    Vehicles in Cali, 2001 and newer, no longer have a tailpipe sniff test for emissions. The tech just hooks up the OBDII and checks for codes.. If the CEL is on, no pass. If the codes are ok, the tech does a visual intake, exhaust, and emissions parts check. No aftermarket parts are allowed without a posted CARB approval label. I don't think there are any after market headers that are CARB approved. Approval is very expensive and time consuming. Only hope is that since F cars are quite rare, the tech might not realize the headers are aftermarket.

18. TnT F430

TnT F430 Karting

Jan 26, 2015
    Granite Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hey gobuffs2002. How did the heat shielding work? I just installed AP headers with ceramic coating on my 430.
    20 miles later the driver side ecable was replaced, now the entire ebrake cables are siezed, several CEL's, installed O2 extenders, another CEL yesterday! What is going on here? Repairs are going to cost me more than the headers.

19. bkthomps

bkthomps Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2012
    USA
    I wouldn't be a buyer until the Taiwan vs USA aspect is answered

20. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John

TnT, the Heatshield Products heat shield tubing that encased the third set of EBrake cables lasted one week and one spirited drive before the Fabspeed headers melted the third set of EBrake cabled. The tubing was a total waste of money. I finally gave in and purchased the Fabspeed header blankets and just had it installed with a new EBrake cables. I'm picking the car up tomorrow hopefully this will fix the problem. I will never buy headers with ceramic coating or WITOUT header blankets. I guess that is why Capristo only sells their headers with their header blankets. The ceramic coating was a waste of money and gave me a false sense of security.

The first set was the original EBrake cables that lasted 13 years with the Ferrari headers.
    The second set were used EBrake cables, they looked great.... Lasted one month. I guess you buy junk you get junk?.... Wrong!
    The third set was new Ferrari EBrake cables encased in 3/4 in Heatshield products heat tubing... Lasted one week.

This new set on Ferrari EBrake cables will be shielded by the Fabspeed header blankets. I'm told by Fabspeed that they have not had any problems with naked headers melting EBrake cables (or any wiring) on a 360 but the header blankets will help to reduce the heat by the cables and electronic wiring near the headers. I guess we will see.

I need to mention that Fabspeed did help out with costs because of all the problems and expenses I incurred.

Stay tuned, I pick up the car tomorrow. If the EBrake cables melt one more time, they will stay that way. Im leaving the car in first gear when I turn the engine off just in case.

I'll post an update in a few weeks.

21. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    My 2 pennies worth......

Most Ceramic coatings as done by most places are a waste of time, if heat management is the primary goal. The largest component of what they spray on is binder not ceramic.

We have tried many of these coatings on many race cars and they are all useless.
    If you want proper ceramic coating then it has to be applied as a plasma, and the only guys i know who do that are Zircotec and they do most of the F1 grid.

We mostly use Blankets and the stuff from Thermotec which works really well and is cheap).
    Exhaust wrap works but won't last long if you use the car.
    We had to replace the wrap after every 2nd race as it would just fall apart.

Also heatshields work, Thermotec sell the stuff, suitable spaced a few inches or so so away from what you are protecting works wonders. We see temps on one side like the +90C and on the other 60C.

On the CN race car we ended up adding 2 naca ducts to the floor to get some air to flow up the front of the engine and to stop the alternator being roasted to death, that took 15C out of the oil temp surprisingly.

We run a 348 Challenge with Fabspeed headers and blankets, and when we pit you can put your hands down the side of the engine to nearly touch the blankets and the temp is not removing any skin - so blankets work.

22. martiy1971

martiy1971 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Robert Martineau
    Assuming that 360 headers are much like the 430's, the factory versions have insulation encased between the piping and the outer skin (which is largely responsible for the engine damage resulting from cracking headers); however aftermarket do not. The only way you'll properly keep other components cool is with header wrap or blankets.

23. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    #48 Fabspeed Motorsport, Nov 6, 2015
    We just received a batch of our products back from being ceramic coated this morning; one being this 430 Sport Header. Ceramic coating is available for an additional charge on most of our products. Please contact me for any questions you may have regarding either the product, or the coating process!

24. metaldriver

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Headers were installed on my car last week and since then I have driven 130 miles (50-50 city-highway) with no e-brake cable issues. Two highway excursions included a blast well into triple-digits (140 & 160), with no ill effect of high engine compartment temperatures on any of the surrounding components. I have blankets on, but not the kind that keep me warm-n-cozy at night. ;) The installation included spacers for the O2 sensors downstream of the cats. I have no CEL codes.

25. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Excellent. Thanks for posting the info.