Facel Vega Pictures | FerrariChat

Facel Vega Pictures

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Sep 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #2 sowest, Sep 9, 2010
  3. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    There's nothing like the sound of tubes ...
    Is there a Linn Sondek turntable in the glove box? :D

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

That thing is so sweet. I just love old cars.

5. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #5 sowest, Sep 10, 2010
  6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
  7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #8 Kevin Rev'n, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
    Thanks so much for taking the time to get these posted. What a great looking car. How was it to drive? Reminds me of the 60's era Aston Martins.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Very nice. Can you say what the car sold for?

9. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Kevin

I enjoyed driving the car. I liked the understated elegance and the knowledge that it was a significant, rare automobile. One had to be able to judge it in the proper perspective. It had pretty skinny tires, the Chrysler "push button" automatic, the steering could be a bit vague, and there was no AC. It was pretty quick and made the nice V8 sound that is so easy to like. I can see it being a great ride for long trips on the mainland or in Europe.

Hi Glassman

The sale was some time ago. I am pretty sure it was $20K. That seems awfully cheap now, but there were lots of issues to take care of. It was a very good starting point for a restoration, but it was going to take substantial money to get it into top condition. It was a surprisingly hard sell with very little interest in the car. These days, one might get 10% of the price just for that cool, original, wooden knock-off hammer.....;>)

Aloha
    Larry

10. doug_porsche

doug_porsche Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Trying 2 find myself
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #11 doug_porsche, Sep 11, 2010
  11. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    sowest,
    Thanks for posting the FV pics......I've been wanting one for years, particularly the HK500, and never even imagined one being in HI (the damage the climate does would keep me from any classics there).
    Love the details in those cars.

12. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    doug-porsche The car that you have at your events looks to be in much better condition than the one that was here. Are your two pictures of the same car? It took a minute for it to sink in that it was a dark blue car with a bright red interior. It is not a color combination that comes immediately to mind. Of course, it is a very individualistic French car, so maybe it is perfect.....;>) Very nice!

willrace Thanks for your comments. Every now and then, someone will comment on nice cars and the danger posed by Hawaii's climate. I guess the concerns may have validity. They certainly would have validity if the car was on the windward side of the island where the prevailing winds carry a steady dose of salt. But on the leeward side (where Honolulu is), I have never felt it was much of a concern.The sun can do some damage, but I don't think the sun is anywhere near the problem that it is in the Southwest of the mainland. We also never spread salt on the roads to clear the snow and ice!! I feel a car can be very happy here if it has, at least, a roof over its head.

Thanks very much to everyone that expressed appreciation for the Facel and the pictures.

Aloha
    Larry

13. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Hey Larry,

that Facel Vega looks very cool! If I'm not mistaken, the original mouldings for the bodywork are displayed in Brussels, in the Belgian car museum. Not sure if I have pictures of it. If you need stuff from France, let me know. And I will look into it.

BTW: turns out the 308 head has been welded. But I'm still looking for a 'bargain' 14 inch Cromodora rim. Could you ask GT parts?

14. wilde

wilde Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2009
    France
    #15 wilde, Sep 13, 2010
  15. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Kris

It is good to hear from you. I will send you an e-mail.

wilde

Aloha and welcome to F-chat. The picture of the body working buck is great. I like those specially formed steel clamps. I would love to apprentice at some shop that did this kind of work as I've always thought of sheet metal forming as a fascinating skill and art.

Great first post!

16. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Wilde:
    Sorry for the mistake! I did'nt know. But did you know that across this moulding is a fabulous 250 Boano? I know the owner of the museum very well, it's the famous Ivan Mahy, luckely he was my grnadmothers neighbour, and since she died, he bought her house. Lovely man that is. Owns about 1000 vehicles, Jay Leno 'avant la lettre' :)

Larry aloha!

I think you'll need to come to Europe to learn mate! ;) I'll check my emails!!! Btw is the Facel yours?

17. doug_porsche

doug_porsche Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Trying 2 find myself
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #18 doug_porsche, Sep 15, 2010
    Larry,

Sorry for the delay. Got distracted.

Yes they are of the same car. Here is a picture showing it where you can see both.
    If he shows up this month again, I will take more pics for you.

Doug
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Doug

Thanks for the additional picture. The car is very nice. I was expecting the colors to be very "clashy", but that is not so.Perhaps the bright sun in the first picture made the red look brighter than it really is. All three cars in your latest post are very nice.

I am sure I am not alone in saying that any addition pics you can post will be appreciated.

Aloha
    Larry

19. wgm auto

wgm auto Rookie

Jan 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Larry Geski
    #20 wgm auto, Sep 17, 2010
    Since your on the subject of Facels . I'm attaching a couple of links to my picasa link. The first is for the Facel FV4 we restored between 10/2005 and 10/2009. It has the hipo 354 Hemi from the 300B Chryslers. The other link is to a 18000 original mile hk 500 were currently awakening from a 49year nap. There are significant differences between the FV , HK and Facel II and many shared components. All used Chrysler drivetrain as well as many interior controls. Not cheap or easy to restore .

http://picasaweb.google.com/wgmauto/1957FacelVega#

http://picasaweb.google.com/wgmauto/HugoAlpersFacelVegaHK500#
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Very nice car. The interior is incredible.

21. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    wgm auto

Very nice cars and the work you have done is simply outstanding. Thanks very much for providing the links to your pictures.

Aloha
    Larry

22. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Velocetwo

Thanks very much for posting your photos. I did not realize that there was such variety in the Facel Vega line. Makes me think of the snowflake thing: no two are exactly alike.

23. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I was surprised too, and there are a number of rag tops out there too!