factory fitted sunroof | FerrariChat

factory fitted sunroof

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Jan 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    My 1978 400 has a factory fitted steel tilt/slide sunroof. It doesn't have an interior light fitted above the rear view mirror but does have one at the back by the rear screen.

Can anyone else who has a factory sunroof confirm if this was standard layout for cars with this option - I wondered if this was possibly due to the electric motor placement ?

2. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    #2 wil, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The sunroof is a very interesting question I would like to answer.
    To my mind, we can't affirm that it was a factory work or an factory option.
    The only paper I ve seen is the order form of a UK RHD 400i Automatic, with the option "sunroof" check. I don't know if it was a specifical UK Maranello option, or if it was for every car.

Every detailed and proved answer is much appreciated !

4. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Mine is the earlier model so differs from yours in that it has the leather headliner. I can feel the outline of the hole where the front interior lamp goes under the leather but the leather looks original and is intact and not cut.

Does yours tilt and slide and where are the control switches ? Mine are in the centre console behind the handbrake.

I met a guy last year who had a 400i with a non factory sunroof which didn't tilt - the switches were under the dash near the ignition switch.

5. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Do you mean that you are unsure if it was an option ordered from and fitted by the factory or a dealer fitted option ?

6. wil

wil Rookie

Apr 17, 2008
    Barcelona (Spain)
    Full Name:
    Willy Nuez
    #6 wil, Jan 28, 2013
    Mine is in the center console, in front of the hand brake, under the ashtray and between the electric windows switches.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    The centre console switch layout on your car is totally different to mine - also, your roof switch is a double sided rocker switch, again this is totally different to mine.

The position of your switch makes far more sense than mine (which isn't in the most easily accessible position) but my switch layout wouldn't allow this.

I'd like to find someone with a 1978 carbed car with a sunroof as this will be the closest comparison possible.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    #8 Ashman, Jan 28, 2013
    I have always wondered what the dummy rocker switch behind the left window switch on my center console was for. The one on the opposite side behind the right window switch is for the antenna but the dummy switch must be for a sunroof, if that option was selected.

"I see", said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Aidan has a factory sunroof, hopefully he will chime in on this.

10. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Mine doesn't have the lamp at the front, only at the rear. There is a zip in the headliner to allow access to the winder mechanism. It also only slides. I've never used it!

11. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just try to find the truth.
    If you are all able to show the original order form of all your cars, with the option "sunroof" checked, I will trust you and admit that Sunroof was a factory option.

How many times I ve heard : " I ve got an original factory Ferrari 400 convertible " ?!!

So I don't want the same for the sunroof.

I work with proofs.

12. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Fair enough Paul, I know understand what you mean.

I agree with what you say - I believe that the sunroof is factory fitted but without the original build sheet it can't be proved.

I found a link to the auction when the previous owner bought the car in 1999 which refers to the factory sunroof. Agreed, this isn't any real proof but it goes back a few steps further to the original owner. The link is:-

1978 Ferrari 400 GT Auction - Classic Car Auctions & Sale - H&H

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter much I suppose. I was really only interested in how many other of these cars had a "factory" sunroof and if the interior lamp/roof operation buttons were the same as mine.

13. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Kind of funny that the car sold for £15,000 in 1999 and I paid considerably less for it in 2011, still only having covered 35,000 miles.

At this rate it'll have covered 43,000 miles and be worth £3,000 in 2026 !

14. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    A great investment!

15. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I'd like to think so but if not so be it - I enjoy the car so much it really doesn't matter.

16. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Does anyone else's sunroof have the same switch/interior light config as the photos of mine show ? Does anyone know how to find out if this was factory fitted ?

17. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #17 rustytractor, Feb 3, 2013
  18. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #18 rustytractor, Feb 3, 2013
  19. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #19 rustytractor, Feb 3, 2013
  20. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    #20 rustytractor, Feb 3, 2013
  21. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Candy and visited the factory a couple of years ago for a tour. After that tour we were invited for a 3 hour personal guided tour of the classique department(due in part to our previous ownership of factory race car testa rosa tr0768) during that tour I inquired about the possibilityof getting information on the history of our 400i.

We were taken to a large archive building where every car manuafactured by Ferrari has a book file there. This building is filled with shelving and all book files are stored in numerical order. Our 400 file was there and we were able to see all construction notes and orders. These files include the original order, specifications, options, and colors. The difficutly for us was of course all done in Italian. There were printed orders, and hand written notes during construction. Those days the cars were a lot more hands on semi custom built, therefore the hand written construction (as built)notes. The Classique department does Ferrari restoration and they have staff that use these files for authentication and restoration direction.

We also were shown micro fische cards on each car in numberical order. There were also note cards with hand written notes as the factory has had correspondence from owners, and dealers over the years after the cars left the factory.

You can apply to the classique department and for a modest fee they will do research on your specific vehicle, be patient. In fact in the case of our car we saw factory notes about ours being a cabriolet and built for and delivered to the Geneva dealer for the Geneva car show. We now know the early history of our 400i and when it was imported to the Us and the follow up history in the US.This might be well worth the cost to find specifics about your car, it was for us.

Howard and Candy Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i cabriolet
    1994 348 spyder

22. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I knew there'd be an answer out there somewhere.

Do you have any contact details such as a postal (or ideally) an email address ?

Many thanks for the good advice Howard.

23. Attila400

Attila400 Rookie

Feb 7, 2018
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    Attila
    Hi All

Im new proud owner of a 400i automatic 1981 version. Sunroof is factory fitted steel tilt/slide sunroof, ( at least I hope so) because it doesn't work, Yesterday, I just took out the switch but I saw it is a GM switch. Does anyone have the same or what do you think which can be the original switch?
    I realized, this is from an early version of a Opel Monza.
    Thank for the replies in advance.
    Greetings from Hungary.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login