Factory Sport Exhaust (VIDEOS INSIDE) | FerrariChat

Factory Sport Exhaust (VIDEOS INSIDE)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Fireman1291, Apr 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Okay, so I'm tinkering with some new camera gear here and will use this thread to document the fine tuning of the perfect setup for exhaust sound capture. I've spent a considerable amount of time setting up my other cameras and mic's for my YouTube channel to accurately capture suppressed and unsuppressed gunshots, so I'm not new to the idea, but I'm basically starting from scratch here. New hardware, new studio (car), new software.

I want to accept the challenge of finding that perfect, clear, and life like exhaust sound. I usually run a mirrorless Sony A7rii for my review videos but I just bought a Go-Pro Hero7 Black, misc mounts, mic adaptor, etc to try and tackle this challenge. I, like most of us here, love listening to the sweet sound of a tuned Ferrari, and I haven't found many videos on YouTube that accurately translate this via poor recordings let alone post compression quality.

As free time allows I will tinker with every setting, every mounting solution, and every format to squeeze all the "in person perception" I can out of this setup. The first couple uploads will be garbage and that's why I'm uploading them here, so we can keep track of what works and what doesn't. The YouTube links will be unlisted and will not be added to my business library. This is for us car nerds and us only. Lets get to it.

Attempt 1:

NOTES: Need better location for microphone. Mic sits in wind stream which causes buffeting of suction cup mount as well as wind noise. Also, try different video formats to get proper perspective and aspect ratio. Try with roof down as well as side mount passenger window with roof closed, drivers window down.

Federal man likes this.
  2. Joey4420

Joey4420 Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joey Shreve
    Question, with the sport exhaust can it be quite as well with the top up? I ask, because I sadly get headaches a lot, some days I just want to drive and things be quite.

3. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Yes. Sorry, I forgot to mention I have my valves bypassed to always open. If you leave the system normal they only open up when you're...having fun :)

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Adam, thank you for making and posting your video. The sound quality is actually quite good, except for the last 15-20 seconds when it seems to have dropped out. I haven't tried it yet myself but the apparently best way to kill the wind noise is to use an external microphone with a "deadcat" (the furry mic cover).

I think the low-distortion wide camera perspective you achieved is excellent, much better than all the in-car YouTube videos that I have seen.

Regarding noise, sport mufflers will amplify the resonance frequency of the exhaust system. Any object that vibrates has a resonance frequency where it will vibrate at maximum amplitude (loudest). Frequency and amplitude of vibration of an exhaust is determined by engine RPM and the velocity of the exhaust gas. The factory will try to tune the exhaust system to place the resonance at a frequency that is the least objectionable and the easiest to avoid. ALL CARS have it but sports cars will have the loudest resonance because their exhaust systems are the least restricted (least muffled) so vibration amplitudes are much higher, allowing for louder noises, most of it "good".

So if you want a loud sports car, you will have noise. To reduce the noise, you have to reduce the velocity of the exhaust gas; hence the valve control that Adam mentioned. However, it will still be louder than the standard car exhaust for the simple reason that the sport exhaust is designed to be less muffled than the standard muffler. There is no "free lunch" so there is no point in looking for it - it's a sports car. The trick is to drive the car in manual mode and select the correct gear to achieve the engine load you prefer... and enjoy it. At higher load it will sound and feel more poised but quieter, then you have the noisier resonant frequency spot you want to avoid, below that is a very relaxed and quiet engine load which is OK only so long as the road is flat, or downhill, the traffic and road conditions "tame".

5. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    ^This.
    Yeah I'm running a powered Rode Stereo Pro with dead cat into a external mic adaptor, you can see the hairs in frame at the top of the screen before I cropped it. I'm far from happy with the end result. I will be testing this until I find the best combo. I just found out I can simultaneously record the audio file in RAW/HIGH into a separate folder on the camera. This should give me a higher sound quality I can then import into FCPX to fine tune the edit.

And hell to the yes, if you don't learn the load points with this exhaust and choose the right gear for the proper RPM your asking of the car...it'll sound like absolute crap. Say if your cruising at 60MPH in 6th and then mash the accelerator without downshifting lol oh boy does it sound like garbage. Think, civic with a fart can exhaust lugging the RPM's, ugh. Now I wouldn't do this without doing it on purpose, I just did it to hear what the car will do. Trust me when I say this, nobody needs to hear that lol.

This exhaust sounds best from 5-8K under WOT. The lower RPM band is more raspy as the exhaust gasses resonate through the X-pipe and into the open box mufflers in the rear. As the exhaust gasses speed up you have a slight noise cancelling effect as the sound waves cross each other, and the tone goes from low and raspy to high pitched and tuned. That 5K peak area also feels a tad meatier as the open exhaust is evacuating exhaust gasses from the cylinders much faster than stock.

You can actually modulate 50% throttle in certain areas of the RPM band to get that tuned sound. It works best in heavy traffic in a low gear going from light to light. Usually 4th gear has the best speed/sound without lugging for the traffic around here. Anyway, I'll be running other test video this week. Stay tuned!

6. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    And yes, even with the valves open, if the roof is closed it's not loud at all. Surprisingly so...

7. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Ok, well, it failed to upload in HD but the audio is much better. A couple more runs and it should be dialed in.

Federal man likes this.
  8. Jongbeau

Jongbeau Rookie

Nov 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason Wang
  9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks for making the new video. The new audio is a lot more free of wind noise and it would be interesting to hear the results when you finish with all your tweaks.

However to be honest, I've yet to hear any onboard audio that accurately records the sounds I hear as the driver. In fact, the road side audio recordings tend to sound a lot closer to what I hear from the driver's seat. I'm not sure why but onboard recordings always seem to sound boomy and lose a lot of the high frequency wail as well as the idiosyncratic mechanical clatter that is typical of Ferrari engines/transmissions.

If you watch Ferrari videos, the ones with interior audio tend to sound very different from the ones with exterior audio, from the same cars. I always find interior audio disappointingly different from what I hear in real life because the audio always come across boomy with the high frequencies rounded and chopped off, sound nasal and stuffy; whereas in real life the noise is "open" with increasing volume as the frequency increases. You can sorta tell Ferrari does not like to record interior audio... because it simply doesn't capture the sounds accurately.

I made some top engine speed passes in my car before I added the sport cats and the sound was incredible like EEEEEEEEEYEOWWWWW! just as I passed the other vehicle. I think you would only be able to record that outside the car. I think what I heard was partially what was bounced off the other car and the road side and not directly from inside the car, whereas interior car noise is "not bouncing off anything", always recorded at the same distance from the mic.

I think there are limitations to interior audio that is seem insurmountable from a practical standpoint. However, your audios do convey at least more authentic sounding urgency from the engine than most audios I have heard of the Cali. It might be interesting to hear what a directional mic pointed at the side of the road from the driver's position would capture.

10. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    When I lock in all the settings I'll do a master video with recordings from all angles, including drive-bys under load, etc.

Also, I'll start snapping a pic of the camera mounted and add it to the end of the corresponding scene so one knows where and how it was placed. Thanks all!