Factory Tour Rule Change? | FerrariChat

Factory Tour Rule Change?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Monteman, Mar 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I heard that the rules for getting a factory tour are changing. Before you simply had to own a Ferrari. You would send your request through the dealer, FNA would check the VIN to confirm ownership and off to the races you went. Now my understanding is that you will need to be classified as an "Active Customer". Not 100% sure what that means yet but it appears that you must own a current model Ferrari or have one on order. I asked if you had a dozen vintage Ferrari's if you'd be able to get a tour and the guidance I received was it was up to the General Manager's discretion.

Has anyone else heard this or have more information?

2. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Wow I hope that what you say is just a rumor!!

That will piss off ALLOT of us! I busted my a** to buy a 36 year old 308 and am proud to be considered a part of the Ferrari Family. I did a tour just this past September as well.

Is Ferrari turning into a snob brand like Hermes??

THIS will REALLY upset me!

absostone likes this.
  3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Need a definition for, "active customer." If it means one of the high flyers who always lease the latest and greatest, that would cut out many enthusiasts, because leasers aren't even owners, as far as I'm concerned, and a lot of enthusiasts have older cars. If, OTOH it just means being active in FCA and having a relationship with your local dealer, that wouldn't be too bad.

As the number of owners increase, I'm sure Ferrari has more people who want the tour than they can accommodate.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #4 TheMayor, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Active customer means you have bought and own a Ferrari, new or used, from an authorized dealer.

Some guy who bought a used 308 in 1984 and sold it in 1985 isn't going to get a tour.

In the end I believe it comes down to dealer discretion. I honestly don't see the issue.

SAFE4NOW, NürScud and jm2 like this.
  5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I read the dealer actually pays for your free tour. Maybe that is what is up? Might be some dealers don't want to bother with cars they can't make money off?

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We're going again this July 12th. if you have not been, its very interesting and un like other large factories ... not much noise and the robotics are very minimal compared to Porsche or BMW etc... but not quite as hand crafted as Lamborghini. I think we are also going to tour Pagani as well.

100badboy100 and Bundy like this.
  7. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    "The guy who bought a 308 in 84 and sold it in 85 doesn't get the tour." Well...he isn't an owner anymore why should he?

What about the guy (me) who bought a 308 in 2008 because that's all he could afford and STILL has it because he's a loyal, fanatical, and proud Ferrari owner...he doesn't deserve the tour??
    But Kim Kardashian who bought a LaFerrari for kicks but can't even spell Ferrari gets the tour?

I think that its a great way to divide and alienate your customers. Whats next....lets measure penis size? ;)

paulchua, HotShoe, Dave rocks and 3 others like this.
  8. Carper

Carper Karting

Aug 13, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Hopefully you stand a chance against Ms Kardashian in this contest !

Bluebottle, paulchua, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Seriously? This is your big issue for the day?

You want to know how to divide and alienate your customers? Tell your current customers they can't get a tour because some guy with a gold chain in the 8o's who once owned a 308 and sold it after Magnum was cancelled is ahead of you.

This is a NON ISSUE. Its at the dealer's discretion. You are not "entitled" to anything. Its a privilege, plain and simple. There's no contract when you buy a used Ferrari that you are offered a factor tour.

And I don't think Kim Kardashian came come either. She leases hers through an secondary company that supplies cars to stars. SO, are you happy she can't come? She's not "an owner".

jm2 likes this.
  10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Mayor - why do you keep saying anyone is raising your straw man about a non owner? (Nobody is except you)

The issue here - obviously we would have thought - is whether current owners who did not get their car from a dealer are still able to go on the tour...

11. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    #11 Formula Uno, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

Stop it with the "Big issue of the day" remark. You are sounding a bit pretentious now.
    If "the guy with the gold chain" currently owns a Ferrari then why shouldn't he get his tour??
    Is it only for rich, pretentious, WASP's then? An owner is an owner...right? Or do you approve of one "type" of owner over another? Is an Enzo owner who bought the car on a whim more of a owner than a janitor that owns a beat-up 348 but treasures it more than his own kids?

I totally agree with you that the tour is a "privilege" but to tell some poor SOB that can only afford a 308 but lives and breathes Ferrari that he can't have a tour because it is for buying customers only doesn't sit well with me and allot of other owners as well i'm sure.

Maybe here we should only allow owners of 430's and up to start a thread? 430's down to 355's can only reply, and 355 down can only view posts.

Whatdaya think?

PS: I did the factory tour this past September as a lowly 308 owner. I felt so proud and privileged to be there...it was even more touching than as a catholic, when I went to the Vatican and The Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. Maybe the guy ahead of me in line owned a LaFerrari but it didn't make a difference to the staff in Maranello.

It would be a shame if Ferrari changes this wonderful sentiment and opportunity for owners.

HotShoe, paulchua and absostone like this.
  12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Look, you own a 308. That's awesome. But that entitles you to get a cup of coffee at Starbucks if you give them your $6. :)

If you want a factory tour, drive over to your local dealer give him your reasons why you should be allowed the privilege.

ACTIVE customers are people who bought ANY FERRARI of any age from a dealer and still own them, new or used. If you buy a junked out Mondial 8 off of craigslist for $5000 don't expect a "factory tour"

ChuckStyl5 and virendra like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Do you guys even read each other's posts before responding?

Rembrandt, TWK, carguyjohn350 and 8 others like this.
  14. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    LOL you're right!

15. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    So then it looks like we are in agreement!;)

TheMayor likes this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I took the tour for the second time in Sept. 2016. My wife and I were the only ones on the tour, others didn't show. Personal tour. The tour guide, young women, she was Czech and could speak 4 languages. Her husband was a design engineer in the Formula one division.

virendra, kerrari, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  17. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    What about things like "The Italian Guy Tour" ?

18. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    IMHO, 'active' customers are those who DRIVE them! I'd be pretty cheesed if some current leaser who watches his trip meter was given a place and I (as a long term active owner) wasn't! Personally not affected as I've been there before (and paid $100 head to the dealer for the privilege of organising it) but still...

Formula Uno and tifoso2728 like this.
  19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We aren't talking about the most loyal or most passionate. We're talking about people who recently bought and still own a car from a dealer.

I stand by what I said. This is a complete non issue. If you don't like it go to your dealer and make your case. It's a privilege, not a guarantee.

Ferrari has to have a way to say to some people you can't go.

I'll tell you something interesting.

I bought a new Corvette C7 and took the factory delivery option. It think it costed me $1500 for that "privilege" of picking up the car at the factory and getting some other bennies. With that "privilege" I got a private factory tour (it lasted about 2 hours and I rather enjoyed it).

So, should every person who ever bought a Corvette, new or used, from a private dealer or party or Chevy dealer for the last 70 years get a factory tour? Is Chevy somehow discriminating against "real Corvette enthusiasts" in favor of people who pay?

virendra and thorn like this.
  20. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I'd think an "active" customer would be anyone who uses any and all dealer services. Of course if you purchase your car at the dealer that is also going to give you a big leg up. But let's face it the Ferrari dealer isn't always going to have a car in the spec you want on hand especially if it's an older car.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  21. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    It would appear that the wording has changed on their website....

"Factory tours are reserved for Ferrari clients and official sponsors."

No definition for the word "Clients". If I recall correctly it used to say Owners. I would think if you had your Ferrari serviced by a Ferrari dealer.....regardless of who you bought it from.....you are a Ferrari Client since you have a business relationship with Ferrari. When I went a couple of years ago, Ferrari of Washington DC sponsored the paperwork to FNA and the factory verified my identity and VIN. FoW services my car from time to time and I did not purchase it there. I would think trying to get a tour without having a Dealer relationship in place for purchase and/or service would be extremely difficult for an owner.

sbenus likes this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I would just call up an ask. Maybe all it takes is an overpriced oil change to get you to be a 'client' of the said dealership.

LorenzoOO and Formula Uno like this.
  23. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City

Or a $2,000 pollen filter;)

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahahhaa

25. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Call Ferrari NA in NJ, and ask.
    I’ve been three times. It’s definitely worth seeing. My first tour was 1993 and the production line was positively prehistoric compared to my second trip in 2004. By 2012, it was like Star Wars.