Failure rate on 575 Superamerica roofs? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Failure rate on 575 Superamerica roofs?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by maxemus, Apr 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Glenn, can I assume the SA you are considering is at an authorized dealer? I would think that if the glass top were replaced a Ferrari dealer would have a record of it. I doubt FNA/Spa would sell a glass top to a non-authorized dealer or shop to install. Another guess would be that if the dealer says "he does not know" if the top has been replaced it probably has not.

I would not say that having a new glass top is a requirement. I would guess that [maybe] the majority of the SA's have not had them replaced. As I posted before the cause of the delamination was irregular/inconsistent current being conducted to the top when the ignition was turned off. Supposedly the new ECU replacement is the fix for this issue. But if the SA did not "leak" current to the top delamination should not have occurred. That is how it was explained to me at a tech session.

On my car [and couple of others I have seen] the delamination began on the right front corner of the top. Think of the top as having multi-layered glass. Standing outside the car imagine the "look" of a shiny gold liquid leaking between the layers. On my car it started small and grew to a corner triangle that reached 8" across the front and side of the top. From the inside it just looked like a water stain between layers.

2. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    I saw what you did there

3. frogwo

frogwo Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2005
    S Cantera you have a PM

4. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    #29 Cobraownr, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For those that are unfamiliar with the problem, photos below of delamination on a Superamerica roof. On this particular car, the delam extended along virtually the entire front edge of the roof from side to side and was about 4 inches wide. This was an otherwise gorgeous car, and delamination doesn't affect the way the car drives, but the roof was a real turn off for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. RWebber

RWebber Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2013
    Grasslands, USA
    Full Name:
    R Webber
    That looks ugly.
    Is it from a hot geographic location like Florida or can this happen anywhere ?

6. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Prior messages in this thread explain the cause of the SA roof problem. No one yet has suggested a linkage with a hot climate.

7. 2005575superamerica

May 11, 2011
    New York
    As a last resort, apply a carbon fibre vinyl decal over the roof except for the rear bubble so as to not block the rearview mirror

8. Pete75

Pete75 Rookie

Jul 22, 2010
    Im looking for an SA in Sweden. Im no expert but i fear the one for sale's roof may have some delamination issues. The dealer found out a new roof would be usd 46k. I dont know whether he or I was shocked the most. He said he would try the ferrari factory. Over here that would be like covering the car with a new 3 series!

9. carnut360

carnut360 Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    near brighton
    Full Name:
    steve b
    I have had two Superamericas and thus its my favourite car, I did have a problem with the roof on my first one but that was due to control box failure which causes the delamination over time.
    THERE IS A FIX! mine was the prototype, after having the control box fixed via the recall, Ferrari have reverse engineered the roof so that the whole roof assembly does not need to be replaced. Basically your Ferrari approved repair agent will remove the centre section of the roof and replace it which is less than half the price of a new roof and is now as good as new

10. 360612575Superamerica

Jul 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Salvatore Scervini
    Is it possible to replace just the top glass panel? I was told that in case of roof issues, you need to replace the full roof.