Fall drive #1 Arboretum Drive w/Pictures | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fall drive #1 Arboretum Drive w/Pictures

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Oct 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    yeah... like working!
    my schedule just does not seem to be meshing with these events!

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Great pictures Carla!

I love the Club Sandwich shot. Good to see the Twins again and some new faces.

3. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Since Ascari posted some pics here already I merged the two threads.

4. jdl308

jdl308 Rookie

Aug 22, 2005
    Wheaton, IL
    Full Name:
    J. David
    Anyone who would like to email pictures to the Bride and her party can use this address she gave me.

[email protected]

jdl308 (alias twintwo)

5. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    Frank or Rick,

I would assume you two would have known about this place or might have even visited. If anyone else, I would be happy to know about it...

http://www.cantignypark.com/

This was the Wheaton home of one of the key figures behind the growth and power of the Tribune company. It is said that part of the Citizen Kane character was based on McCormmick as well as Hearst. I've always wanted to visit this estate with my wife and would like to know if anyone has had or heard of it being a fun sight to see. There are so few north side outings so I assume or most vocal Fchat personalities might know of this or considered it as a meeting place?

RocketBoy

PS: I think the greatest and most moving car photo op is in the north side, (actually way north,) easilly beating anything the lake side or Route 66 can muster. PM me for details.

6. jdl308

jdl308 Rookie

Aug 22, 2005
    Wheaton, IL
    Full Name:
    J. David
    Cantigny Park is located just south of Roosevelt Rd. on Winfield Rd. in Wheaton. While the formal gardens are phenominal (during the season) there are limited opportunities for photo ops. You really can't get past the parking lots with cars.

Used to be years ago, they had all kinds of tanks and armored vehicles there for kids to climb all over. Don't recall seeing them last time I visited.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah,the Tanks are still there. South part of the Grounds. I go there all of the time. I take Frankie there to climb all over the Tanks and Artillery. I have been going to Cantigny,(Can-TEENY) since I was a Cub Scout! We would hike about the whole Grounds,which are Huge!

The Place is the McCormick Estate. He started the Chicago Tribune,and all sorts of other Stuff. The 1st. Cavalry,lots of History there. There is the McCormick Mansion,where you can get tours. Really Cool. Lots of really neat,Early inventions. If you like Antique Furniture and Architecture,you'll love this place. Lots of period Decor and Art Deco Items. As mentioned,spectacular Gardens,An incredible Rose garden and Ponds. But,what we go there for are all of the Tanks and Artillery that are Parked outside. You can climb on them. (Yes,I must refrain...I have too many Orthopaedic Injuries already...:( ) But Frankie loves it! Then they have the 1st. Divison Museum. Which has all sorts of World War 2 historical Items,including a Life Size Diorama of the Franch Village of Cantigny. Where a significant Battle was fought. Guns,and all sorts of neat stuff.

The whole place is very Cool. In the Summer.they also hold an Art Fair,featuring only Bronze and Metal Sculpture. Some are Huge. Some are small enough to Carry. All are For Sale. It's pretty Cool.

I don't think they'd let you drive past the Parkking Lot to get Photos of your Car next to a Tank...But,you never know....

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Oh yeah. Both the White/Boxer 308,and that Gorgeous 1967 Corvette were really beautiful. I really like that particular Color on older 'Vettes,too. That Car is spotless!

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thats why we try to have as many as we can. Hopefully,someone with a tough Work schedule can be able to make it to one of them,here and there. Theres another one planned for 2 weeks.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    For that you could go to the soon to be closed forever military museum just past the WI border. I took my 308 there and took some pics parked next to an Apache helicopter.

Alternatively I'd say we'll have another Muskegon trip next year where we should get a chance to do just that.

11. Tony

Tony Rookie

Jan 18, 2004
    Northwest Suburbs
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Wish I could have made it. It looked like a beautiful day. Count me in on the next drive.

Tony

12. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #37 TwinOne, Nov 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the kind words Frank. My photography skills are somewhat lacking. I tried to find unique shots, it seems we all took the same pictures!

Enjoy!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #38 FerrariFrank1, Nov 2, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    O.K. I have some Pix here. Trying to post some different than the Others.

The first one is of a Bunch of Red-My Car,My Sons Shirt and the Bush. We are familiar with Sammy Hagars Song,"I can't Drive 55". But,he also has another song called "Red". It goes...."Red....I want Red. Nothing else will do but Red!"...:)

The rest of the Pix are pretty self explanatory. Check out the Old Wooden Bridge in the background in the Yellow Maple Forest Pix.

Lastly,Patriotic Red,White and Blue Ferrari's...:)

14. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sheesh???!!!!??? I want to know Carla's story.........

Hottie (from the pics it looks that way) showing up with her own Ferrari and blowing the doors off the guys???

I hope she is married!!! If not, I want to know HOW she ISN'T with credentials like that????? ;-)

15. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Gee Bill first you insult me now you have the hots for Carla and your a "MARRIED"man. I think it's best if you just stay in that remote part of Wisc. I think I'll redraw my invite to you to come down and join us. Sounds like you will kill off our men folks and rape our women. We don't need that kind of behavior down here in peaceful Chicago. "STAY UP THERE!" and play in the cornfields. Hey Carla what do you think?

16. carlagio

carlagio Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2005
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Carla G.
    Hey, you're talking about me like I'm not here.....Thanks for the compliment anyway.

17. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You know Rick, I have tried to stay calm after reading your post. I am having a real hard time doing that. No kidding I am a married man.......my wife was sitting next to me on HER computer when I was typing that post. I SHOWED her Carla and her car. In fact, I am pretty sure I have posted PICS of my wife and talked about her NUMEROUS TIMES on this very site. I have NO interest in Carla in ANY way, other than wanting to know "her story". You rarely see a female with a car like that on her own. I have known TWO women in my life who have had strong interests in cars like that. One was my old boss, who had a new Corvette when I started and a new Porsche 911 when I left; and a woman out of Dallas who is a regional manager for my company who used to race Porsches in the 70s. They had GREAT strories to tell as to how they got into cars and it was neat to hear.

Not saying that women don't earn enough to BUY a car like that, but most either don't

1. Have a strong enough interest in cars to buy a Ferrari
    2. Drive the SNOT out of them when they do buy them

She does both of these things. And I wanted to hear her story. Simple as THAT. End of STORY!!! That's it!!! Nothing more!!!!

So quit reading into my post as anything other than it was. I am happily married (ask RocketBoy), thank you. By the way, have you SEEN my wife. Not too shabby.

I have tried to let our little "issues" die off and go away. I have seen comments you have made on the site about me, like the one about missing the trip to Wisconsin and how you should have gone since I didn't go. I have gotten calls from others on the board about you talking smack. And I have said NOTHING about it. Not made a single comment since my "peace offering"-type post where I mentioned that "I wouldn't want you coming to Wisconsin because you would blow the doors off my car in a race". You obviously thought it was funny because you made some comment about me "finally showing I have a sense of humor and coming out of my shell." Another poke at me. Yet I didn't even respond to it. I just let it go. I have not even posted ANYTHING that has to do with you in weeks. Nothing.

And now, when I post something about someone ELSE (a compliment, if ANYTHING), you feel you need to come on here and insult me, insult my fidelity, joke about rape, and insult the area where I live.

With that being said Rick, I have tried to re-read your post to see if there was ANY way you could have been joking. It is apparent you were not. I don't know what more I can say. I offered up a "solution" before and you didn't want to settle things that way. Yet you still sit behind your computer and throw insults. Truly pathetic. Again, I am done with you and these "internet issues". I was man enough to offer up a "fight" before. I was then man enough to swallow my pride and let these issues/insults die. You have turned down both of these "offerings" and yet you STILL don't let it go.

I apologize Carla, for Rick's twisting this around, but NOT for what I said. Believe me, when I say that I had NO intention of anything other than to hear your story. Congrats on a great looking car!!

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ouch, this is getting ugly.

I'm sure Rick meant it in good fun, but it wasn't that funny and I can see how Huskerbill can take this the wrong way. The two of you should really get together or call each other on the phone and settle things.

Carla knows a lot about cars having sold them in the past and now makes a good living selling real estate. Aside from that she knows how to drive.

19. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Gee take a chill pill Bill. if you can't see the humor (JOKE) in all of these posts then I won't respond to any of your comments ever again. So Good Bye and have a nice life! I too apologize Carla! This is getting way too weird for me.

20. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    What is your ultimate wisdom and authority based on? The only reason I respond to Bill's posts and sent him a message or two is wishing him well on his search for a Ferrari. Last take he actually owns one, a real one. I don't get it, where is the moderator when the scientist of morphing of the Chicago group is placing authority and attacks of character on an entire state? This is Ferrari chat right? Not show up, Im here and I like you people so like me. Im funny cause I can label an entire state even though they have a convertible Ferrari's like my Verrarri but they have some lower numbers like, ehh, 166. Id rather read about Ferrari related events, people and cars than pride or comments on legitamacy.

The only thing I know about Bill is that he contacted numerous well known Ferrari collectors and sought out their opnion. That's how I got to talking to him: just by wishing him well. He asked, never just appeared, about clubs and events to all the key figures in WI and parts of ILL. He had a few messages to Skip about what to buy and how to get involved. He purchased a Ferrari based on what was right, even though his dream car is in reach and did not make any monetary excuses.

I think in terms of Ferrari association, I would rather hear and have the attendance of people who talked to owners of F40 and TRs and have been published in international publications about car collecting than a guy who goes to Pep Boys when his Vette breaks down. Going on one of Frank's rides with Rick is always fun and there is no one else in the group who is more friendly to random strangers with questions. But excluding a Ferrari owner from a possible FOC event?

Come on Rick, I know you're down on your luck but you really have no authority or expert opinion. If it comes down to basics, you're a guy who doesn't have and Bill is someone who walked on egg shells to belong. So if a Ferrari owner jokes around with another Ferrari owner, what's wrong with that? Is it exclusive, hell yeah and its supposed to be. I don't care that my dealer doesn't send me invites to see new cars anymore. I don't own a Ferrari anymore and Im not making any excuses. If I replace the Maranello with something else and started drives, I think I have the right to because I obiviously went through the right channels to aquire such a car and want to be in the company of people who know things about them. If someone with a Chevy told me I wasn't allowed to go, WTF?

Before Rick decides to insult another state by claiming they're playing with themselves in the cornfields, maybe a moderator can wake up and do something about it? Last time I checked, there is a Swiss car collector who helped Bill about his service questions. I doubt he plays in the cornfields and rapes people. He's probably too busy shooting the breeze in his million dollar racing cars and helping people like Bill rather than defending himself and his freak of a creation.

I think reading about two good people always bickering is getting old fast. Rick is a true car guy and I like him alot. But his pretending is getting old and I really think he has no right to discourage actual owners from getting involved. Bill maybe has too much pride, but the bottom line is he did what it took to get one and in the right channels. If he wanted to invite me out to a event with the WI crew, I would happily show up in my H2. If he said it was a Ferrari only event and I'd have to catch a ride with him, that's cool too. I would not throw a horse on the orange beast and say, its more reliable than the real thing and the truth is I can't afford an F50 right now. Give us all a break or someone actually step in and stop it, try the ingore option, one side stick to going to local cruise ins while the other to FOC/FCA events? I would love to see more Ferrari owners here in Chicago cause there is no way in hell Im going back to the big leagues of 200K sports car. If I wind up with a used car based on something Bill, Vince or Carla said that's awesome cause they know about it. Besides, it would be nice to see some new cars. If I wanted a fun guy to treat the kids who "ohh" and "ahh" when they see the cars at a fall drive, Rick is the man. If I want to see two sides fight with two different backgrounds, CNN is much better. Where's the UN, Swiss can't always be neutral including a role in Fchat.

A very sad...

RocketBoy

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    For Cripessakes!!!!! Criminy!!!! For Cryinoutloud!!!!

22. oneFerrari

oneFerrari Rookie

Nov 14, 2005
    must be fun..