Famous Owners of 400 series | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Famous Owners of 400 series

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by fez1238, Dec 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matthias Urban

Matthias Urban F1 World Champ

Mar 5, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias Urban
    das ist in den USA nicht ungewöhnlich, da verkaufen sich Autos tatsächlich seit Jahrezehnten über eBay (im Moment fast 400 Ferraris)- auch die offiziellen Händler nutzen das. Scheinbar eine wesenlich andere Wirkung als in Europa.

2. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I own 33219, a 1980 400i originally delivered to Johnny Carson at the factory. It is Blue with a tan interior. It was federalized by Mike Sheehan's International Auto in Costa Mesa, CA and originally titled and registered in California and subsequently sold to a physician in Savannah, GA around 1983 who sold it to me after a few months of ownership "because the AC was weak." He was right.

It has had mechanicals significantly reworked by Cauley Ferrari and is now at Prestige Auto of Palm Beach for further work on the suspension, exhaust Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login and a few other things. I drove it around the country for decades without issue. Its interior shows much wear and I will get to it eventually. One of my favorite F models to actually drive. I believe the ODO shows 77k km but it has been a while so I could be wrong.

tfazio and samsaprunoff like this.
  3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Series 1 car; nice, no self leveling system, Nardi wheel, 15" tires, wood console, levers next to the driver's seat, sweet.

Ak Jim likes this.
  4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    TRX's actually and Im biased when I say this but I think the TRX is the nicest looking rim of the 2+2's.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A 1980 car should have 15” wheels on it.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    But his doesn't. I dont know the chassis number cut-off on the wheels.

7. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    The switch from 15" tyres to TRXs on the 400i occurred during quarter 2, 1980. So 33219 most likely has always had TRXs (mid-1980 production). It is claimed that 31727 was the changeover serial number.

Newman likes this.
  8. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    It has always had TRXs on it as far as I can tell. I have replaced them 3x due to dry rot always with the same spec: 240/55VR415 Michelin TRX. I have a copy of the original Bill of Sale but as I am traveling at present it is not readily available. I believe the car was delivered in the summer of 1980.

9. nota400

nota400 Karting

Nov 21, 2015
    Correct, black bumpers and bi-color driving lights are signature 400i.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Um, sorry, but no. The color of the driving lights depended on if it was a Series 1 or Series 2 car in addition to what country it was delivered to when new.

11. nota400

nota400 Karting

Nov 21, 2015
    Thank you, I did not know that. I owned my 1986 412 for 16 years and thought the clear driving lights were specific to my model.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    And just to make it even more confusing, lots of Series 1 cars had the lights BEHIND the grill.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Incorrect. The light colour depended on market not what series the car was, same applied to Boxers. One of my injected boxers was a French market car and had yellow head lights and yellow fog lights. My other injected boxer had clear and was a swiss car. My 400i is a series 1 with yellow headlights and yellow fog lights because its a French / Belgium market car. The long grill went away with the series 2 cars moving the lights forward and no longer carellos and you could have yellow or clear just like the boxers at the same time. Fog lights regardless of colour were exposed and moved forward on series 2 400's and injected boxers at the same time. Off topic but some markets didn't allow the boxers to have full length grills as far back as 74 so 2 grills were available and 2 different welded on brackets were used for the fog lights depending on grill selection and the colour was market dependant as always.

14. jbp

jbp Rookie

Sep 22, 2013
    France South
    Uderzo also had F412i #68163 (in my garage now)
    I have read that he bought 3 successive f400, first one brown, second golden in 1980,
    last one f400i on this page http://erwin400.blogspot.com/2014/01/albert-uderzo-asterix-obelix-ferrari.html

Thank you for all this informations,
    Jean-Baptiste

15. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I have 31243 and it has 15” tyres.

16. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary

Jean Beyl who created the modern ski bindings which he later distributed under the brand "Look", was the first owner of 400 Auto 24541

17. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Any one. mention Daft Punk ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010