FAQ: How to Upgrade a 360 F1 TCU to a 360 CS TCU | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FAQ: How to Upgrade a 360 F1 TCU to a 360 CS TCU

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Apr 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Philcat

Philcat Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    MD
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Need to know the part #s of the 360CS TCU and your original TCU... There were many variants of the non CS TCUs and not all are compatible with the CS TCU. Since you've had both open, there is a version number on the TCU that tells the story. It should be something like 201 or 231. Those numbers MUST be the same on both TCUs for your swap to work.

Of course if you "bought" a new 360CS TCU, why wouldn't you just install it? Don't forget that you should have your favorite F-car wrench with an SD2/3 do it to set up the F1 parameters properly.

2. Bugsbunny

Bugsbunny Rookie

Jan 16, 2009
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    SSB
    Thank you Philcat... The old TCU is #211023 (which is CFC201) and the new CS TCU is #196986 (which is CFC231)... According to your indications, the cloning procedure between these to TCU's is impossible, right? By the way, I have never seen a CS TCU with CFC201 structure before, sounds strange to me.

Another question: What happens if I transfer CS software to a old F430 TCU with CFC231 structure and install it on a 360? Does it work?

I am trying to do the cloning of the CS TCU just for my curiosity. I have lots of TCU's and ECU's for 355, 360, 430, 599 etc and I always do some research with them.

Thank you for your concern.

Regards,

3. hakankuy

hakankuy Karting

Jun 15, 2010
    Earth
    You cannot transfer program from CS tcu to normal Modena F1 TCU. Most probably now you ve 2 TCUs whic are useles due to mainboard failure.
    In two TCUs bus speeds are different. It is a technical issue indeed. If you need more detailed explanation pm me and give me a call.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This has been done and it does work.

5. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    Apparently there is an early CS TCU with CFC201 hardware (see photo in the below post):
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141233558-post76.html

I have a 430 TCU (CFC231) which has been flashed to CS firmware in my 360. eric355 on this board flashed it for me. See this thread:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/313830-challenge-stradale-tcu-upgrade-4.html

6. Bugsbunny

Bugsbunny Rookie

Jan 16, 2009
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    SSB
    Dears, thank you for the clues.. Now it is very clear.. Tomorrow I am going to program a TCU removed from MY06 F430 and let you know about the results...

Best regards,

7. Bugsbunny

Bugsbunny Rookie

Jan 16, 2009
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    SSB
    #32 Bugsbunny, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dears,

I have done many many trials and programmings with the following ECU's (as can be seen in the attached photos):

- 183770 - CFC201F - Challenge TCU (the real one, not Stradale)
    - 197533 - CFC201F - MY03 Modena TCU (Stock)
    - 196986 - CFC231F - Challenge Stradale TCU
    - 215247 - CFC231F - F430 MY06 TCU

The results:

- The original flash program in CFC201 units are 256KB and written to 29AF200 CMOS.
    - The original flash program in CFC231 units are 512KB and written to 29AF400 CMOS.

If you copy CS program to an empty 29AF400 CMOS and solder it to a CFC201 unit, the TCU works, can be diagnosed, can perform self learning but shift paddles do not work and gear indicator on instrument cluster shows nothing. Then I also copied the EEPROM to the dummy TCU but result did not change. So, useless.

Stock 215247 seems like working on Modena, can be diagnosed, gear indicator works but when you pull paddles, the actuator cannot engage the gears. Self learning of the actuator cannot be done. So, useless either.

Reprogramming 215247 with the 196986 original CS program works incredibly well, but as said before, programming and soldering is not the complete job. One need to perform self learning of actuator and adjustment of clutch parameters.

Reprogram 197533 with the program of 183770 not tried yet. I will let you know about the result of this programming also..

Regards,
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rynoshark likes this.
  8. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    The CS tcu won't work properly and leave you with blank display/improper operation unless you carry out the following with an SD2:

1. Plug in an SD2, and on the parameter page, read the "new closed clutch position" and note it down (FROM YOUR ORIGINAL TCU)
    2. switch off the battery
    3. Swap it out for the new t.c.u
    4. switch on the battery, switch on the ignition and leave for thirty seconds.
    5. plug in the SD2. On the diagnosis page, write the original closed clutch position figure into it.
    6. Set P.I.S. to around 4.7 to begin with.( this can be played with later to suit)
    7. Now on the diagnosis section of SD2, a FULL cycle test has to be carried out.
    8. Next, under diagnosis section, carry out a self-learn. At this stage, you will probably still see a blank screen.
    9. Switch off the Sd2 and then the ignition. Leave it for thirty seconds, then switch the ignition back on and manually run up and down the gears.
    By this time you should see your display working and gears should all be selecting as they should. If it's all o.k you just need to fiddle about getting the P.I.S setting right until the change is quick.

I've been fitting CS tcu's to standard cars since they came out, and this method works every time...

9. SnowmanUK

SnowmanUK Karting

Dec 11, 2010
    London, UK
    Thanks for the update, please let us know how you get on with further tests. It would be interesting to know if it's possible to flash 197533 onto 176552 (CFC201F.01 - early 360 TCU without manually adjustable PIS), as if a CS programme isn't possible on them the later 360 programme could be a next best option.

10. Bugsbunny

Bugsbunny Rookie

Jan 16, 2009
    Heaven
    Full Name:
    SSB
    I think flashing 176552 with the program of 197533 is 99% possible and very easy... I will try it and let you know...

By the way, I am working on a CFC201 program with better shifting strategy, better clutch management for pick up period and modifyable PIS. That would be great also resetting of clutch wear degree (which is equal to 4000 in the brand new TCU but changes with clutch characteristics when you drive the car) but I could not find the related program row in the original software yet.

If I reach some good results, I will also write down the results here.

11. dexterlab

dexterlab Rookie

Feb 22, 2014
    Hi

I am engineer for BIZTeam Automotive Company.

We received Maserati TCU. Soft N 203278 CFC231F.50

29f400 is inside and we are sure something is wrong with Flash file.

Gear doesnt engage and sometimes we receive error P1772

Customer says that problem accured when they put wrong oil in gearbox.

We doesnt to much experience with maserati, if problem is with hardware we are sure we can repair it. BUt for software we need one example of 29f400 from same TCU unit.

Regards

12. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    to 360Trev

Has anyone disassembled the code in the TCU. ?

13. chavita

chavita Rookie

Oct 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sals Tisc
    #38 chavita, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Till now and my test along the time, for me it is just possible if HWD is the same. There are 3 different HW on the F131 F1 gearbox in F360, you can interchange Flash and eep just if HW is the same .01, .03 or.05 other way checksum wont be accepted by the MCU and TCU would be died. in this case for the CS i have found the soft 211023 in HW.05, i have not seen 211023 soft in some other TCU HW (.01 or .03). also is important to mention for manual PIS adjust i have seen it started since SOFTWARE 189542 and there was when HW05 released. then came all soft 19xxxx and ending 211023. hope this could help!!, i have all this tested my self. hope we can share more experiences between us. regards!!!