FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

FAQ: Shopping for a used 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Camdon53, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RKZ841

RKZ841 Karting

Apr 22, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Jonas E
    You will find some excellent answers at the top of the thread.

Good Luck!

2. Longitudinal

Longitudinal Rookie

Jul 14, 2015
    thanks for helping me with some information. Similar situation

3. PeterNY

PeterNY Rookie

Apr 7, 2015
    Thank you for this . Big help

4. Brian L

Brian L Formula 3

Jun 17, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Specifically what am I looking for with the TCU and software on a 2001 360 spider?

Can they be solid ... or is 2002 and up the way to go?

Very helpful info thank you.

5. bazbill2809

bazbill2809 Rookie

Sep 17, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Brandon William
    Thank you for the time, very helpful for a hopeful 360 buyer.

6. DylinPrestly

DylinPrestly Rookie

Sep 27, 2015
    New York
    Full Name:
    Dylin Prestly
    very good info, thanks b/c I had similar questions.

7. finehomes

finehomes Rookie

Aug 6, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mark Schuster
    Question for y'all... I am in the process of swapping out my F360 Modena because of physical issues. I believe that my story of being a Ferrari owner for 8 years might be of interest, especially for those hoping to acquire one. Before I post anything, I'd like to be sure this is the proper place. Thoughts???

8. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Sounds good to me, and I'd additionally say to park the experience on a blog, sharing the blog link here.

As a 360 shopper, I'd love to hear your story!

Cheers,

Scott

9. finehomes

finehomes Rookie

Aug 6, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    Mark Schuster
    Scott, here is the blog link - 360 Modena

I'd like to think that there is an Fchatter somewhere who might covet the experience of a non-gated 360!!!

Owning a Ferrari has been one of the best experiences of my life!!

10. Jeffs360spider

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jeff S
    Hi Finehomes,
    Good story, sorry you have to give up the toy. I just started my 360 ownership experience a year and a half ago. I was surprised that you were able to purchase a 360 in 2007 for such a relatively low price.

11. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Terrific, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Scott

12. LeftCoaster

LeftCoaster Rookie

Oct 31, 2015
    SoCal
    Bought a 360M F1 a few months ago. Have driven both manual and tiptronic 911s. Like many others I like the lines and simplicity of the 360 over the 430 and 458. The F1 transmission is very quirky from an engineering perspective. I give the Italians credit for what they designed given what was readily available at the time from Mercedes, and others, in transmissions. PDK it's not (or any other recent dual-clutch set up) but you have to appreciate it for its era.

13. koreanzombie

koreanzombie Karting

Apr 22, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey Bfox,

Odometer should of not been changed when it was a US spec brought up from US to Canada. There should be a engine plate that says US emissions, if not you have to contact Ferrari North America and get a compliance letter. Secondly you'll be paying 2.85% duty tax

14. jjk2

jjk2 Rookie

Oct 22, 2007
    is there a guide for 430?

15. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    There was one published in 2012 if I remember right. I don't have the link handy but a quick search should turn it up.

16. fcarbillpaducah

Aug 25, 2007
    Paducah, Ky.
    Full Name:
    William L Harris, Jr
    Thank you for your sharing your resource/history/knowledge with the Ferrari community. I have owned a euro 308 GTS and a US 328 GTS. The 328 I drove for 17 years and she had 110k wonderful miles on her when I sold her...Now I'm in the market for a 360...Your shared information is greatly appreciated. And Yes...Ferrari's are to be driven...and driven and driven some more...A lot of your advise goes for any F car...Mille grazie. Bill from Paducah, Ky.

17. 0phantom0

0phantom0 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016
    Early 99-00 coupes have a defect in the frame. 01+ were fixed.

Maintenance is more expensive than a 430+ because the 360 has cam belts and the 430+ have chains.

However, unlike the 355 and prior where the entire engine had to be dropped to replace the belts, the 360 can be accessed from behind the seats. Indy shops will do a belt service and water pump for about $2500-3000. Ferrari dealer will charge $3500-5000.

Break it up over the service interval of 5 years or 15k miles, it comes to $600/yr which should not be a deal breaker 360 vs 430.

For 355 or older, belt service can run $7-10k with Testarossas as much as $15k for the major service.

Lastly, prices have actually gone UP for 360's over the past few years. According to Hagerty's valuation tool, 360 F1 spiders bottomed out in 2014 and has risen since. Of course 6 speeds have shot up by about $30k.

If you look at 355 spider - over the last year values have shot up as much as 50%. For average 355 spiders - not special editions. Now they're as or more expensive than 360's if you compare miles to miles (30k on a 355 is not much but on a 360 is high mileage). Same goes for all older models - 328's, TRs (major boost - over double). The 360 has seen bottom and the LEAST bump in price.

As prices are rising on older models, and newer models are costing more and more, and car prices in general are rising, I expect 360 spiders to be well north of 100k in a couple years. I doubt 430 spiders will ever drop to the 75-80k level of current 360's. They will probably bottom out at the $100k-110k range for average, mid mileage cars.

18. wgb747

wgb747 Rookie

Jun 9, 2014
    Hi

I'd appreciate some words of wisdom from a guru, please?
    Took the car out today (first time since April) and have a gear-change problem. It was perfect last time I drove it, but today, I couldn't change down from 3rd to 2nd without double de-clutching. No problem changing from 1st to 2nd or any other gear change, up and down. Same issue whether car cold or hot.

The car has 19,000 miles and a full main-dealer service history ( I believe it's the original clutch).

Any immediate thoughts?

Cheers and thanks!

19. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    assuming it is a 3 pedal yes? Try bleeding the clutch at the block back at the transaxle. Mine started leaking at the slave cylinder inside the transaxle. Also see if you have shiny fluid coming from the bottom of t-axle at screening...telltale sign of a leaking slave cylinder.
    Shame on you...not driving it since April? The Ferrari Gods are frowning.......

20. dahecht

dahecht Rookie

Jun 18, 2008
    I have a 550 and looking to add a 360, thanks for the great write up,very helpful and a should be a good source material.

21. charlieco

charlieco Rookie

Sep 28, 2015
    california
    I don't know if you have already received your answer but after doing the exact same thing I found out there are no fees. Duty fees were already paid when the car entered the U.S. the 1st time. Currently, those fees only need to be paid once no matter how many times the car leaves and comes back. Enjoy

22. Gwilliams1961

Gwilliams1961 Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Gary Williams
    This is a great and very useful article as a buyer I see some of the key things I missed when I was buying my 360 😀

23. viperbobby

viperbobby Rookie

Sep 1, 2016
    Just had a dealer tell me a compression/leakdown was a waste of money as this was a problem on 355s and earlier.Says it had major service,clutch and shields.Sent a 15 minute video.Im in coastal NC and car is at Luxury Auto Collection in California.....anybody know these guys?

24. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    Never heard of them, upon looking on google the only Luxury Auto Collection I could find was is Scottsdale AZ. Do you have an address or a link to the car? Seems odd they would advise against a compression & leakdown test. If I were buying I'd have one done. Plenty of cars available right now, no reason not to go after one that makes you feel comfortable.

25. Jolt

Jolt Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2016
    Bend, OREGON
    Full Name:
    Jeronimo Meyers
    Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the write up, This was the information that came in handy when finding and purchasing my 03 360. Thank you again!

JRE likes this.