FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 | Page 15 | FerrariChat

FAQ: Shopping for a used 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Camdon53, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    And still no evidence to support your claim. I rest my case.

2. RacerWannabe

RacerWannabe Rookie

Jun 8, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jerry l Railsback
    I had mostly Porsches as well until the the IMS debacle.

Buying a 360

I have an 02 spider with 35k

Important: follow the instructions in the owners manual to the letter! The 360 is an example of an early computerized car. So there isn't much fault tolerance built into the firmware. For example-
    if it says to 'press the brake pedal' then PRESS IT HARD. It didn't say 'lightly rest one foot on the brake pedal". If the ECU sees an erratic brake switch input, a number of bad things can occur. Maybe today the immobilizer will disable the ignition, or maybe it won't.
    or it might say "turn the key to position 1 and wait for the 'CHECK OK' light to come on". if you don't wait you can expect all kinds of weird things (F1 fail light, conv top fail, etc.

Correct key fobs and factory keys are very important and very expensive.
    Tool kits and leather pouches for manuals are not very important but are very expensive.

Triple check the operation of the top and look closely at the condition of the soft top. If the soft top needs to be replaced and the mechanism is not working right, repair cost can easily get north of $20k.

Other than the electronic quirks this car has been very reliable

8208, cavlino and Skidkid like this.
  3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  4. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    Now available asking 65k.

Speaking of ACV, I’m sure we will see this one on BaT soon! 14k miles gated car.

VIN ZFFYT53AX10123013

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19633500GT likes this.
  5. OmbryAmbry

OmbryAmbry Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    KG
    Great OP

-> The 360 is overbuilt for street driving

430 being an evolution of the 360, do they possess a similar quality?

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I would say yes because 430 is much improved from 360

OmbryAmbry likes this.
  7. Reddesire348

Reddesire348 Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    #357 Reddesire348, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    I its a matter of perspective. Having driven both I find they are of very similar build qualify which overall is exceptional compared to the earlier 348/355 series. (owned a 348 previously).

One noticeable difference is the 360 is more 'revi' it has a better 'ferrari note' IMHO compared to the deeper more throaty F430 which is effectively a stroked 360 with lots of new electronics added.

Improved, yes in a number of area's no doubt as you would expect from any evolution model of a Ferrari, however as I am a 'gated fan' the 360 actually makes a much better manual than the 430.

Looks wise it is also a matter of perspective. I am a fan of the simple curves and elegant lines of the 360 which at its release was a clear throw back to the 60's classics. The F430 is certainly more aggressive however its looks were controversial and in true Ferrari form its looks then copped a hammering once the 458 was released.
    And so it goes with ferrari every model seems to make its predecessor seem obsolete although nowadays with FIATs direct input I see cars churning out like the ROMA and no longer think this way.

For anyone who has an Enzo or Montezemolo period Ferrari, hang onto them. The prices will only go up IMHO ;)

cavlino, G8TD and OmbryAmbry like this.
  8. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Anybody have an advice for a person shopping 360's? Any reason to avoid the first year cars? 1999

9. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Yes, the 1999 360 had issues. If all the factory upgrades have been met, fine. But why purchase a 1999 360 when the 2003 had all these issues addressed? With all the 360's out there be patient and stay away from 1999 360's. Get the color, Daytona seats and all the upgrades you can find on the window sticker. This is a years worth of research before I purchased my 360. Get a gated 6 speed Modena or spider. This is my 2 cents worth.

Big Swole likes this.
  10. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

Good info and that's what I needed to know!! Thank you!

11. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Get a gated 360 Modena or Spider. Stay away from F1's. Many F1's have problems, especially around town.

Big Swole likes this.
  12. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    Have a Ferrari mechanic do a pre purchase inspection. Yes, really. If the seller will not agree to this, walk away.

Big Swole likes this.
  13. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
  14. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    No, not alt all. See the car with an appointment and to have the car get a pre purchased inspection. BaT is great and user friendly.

15. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes, I love BAT. I sold my 308 there and the luggage set as well.

Only one day left on that 360...No Time.

I'm still no the fence vs. a 328. I'll keep looking and be patient.

16. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    agree with everything said here. Took me over a year to finally buy my gated 2004 Spider. Stick to your guns, be patient and do not compromise on what you want. To get the word out I was in the market I even made a spread sheet itemising every option I wanted and circulated it amongst dealers etc. I’ve posted it here on FC previously.
    There is a gated red spider on Carsales now in Melbourne for $AUD 239k. First one I have seen advertised for months and the only one on Carsales atm

17. mb5

mb5 Karting

Nov 11, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Matt
    FWIW, I bought an F1 (which is what I wanted) and it has been great. No issues in the 18 months I’ve owned it so far. I suppose the collectibility, and therefore value, of gateds is preferable right now.

I chose a 2003 so I wouldn’t have to pay the time cost of researching whether it had the needed upgrade campaigns. And I probably paid more for my car than it was “worth” but I have zero regrets. It was a spec I really liked and it’s been awesome!

8208, Ben 360, cavlino and 4 others like this.
  18. Reddesire348

Oct 10, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    That’s the key. Wait and buy the car that really meets your requirements. Don’t be impatient and compromise. For me it was a long term purchase and will likely never sell it so I paid good money for the car I wanted at the time. I bought it based on pics alone before flying interstate the following week to pay the balance. When the right car does come along, jump on it don’t haggle on price it may be months or years before another comes along. Having said that 4 years later it’s now worth allot more than I paid

19. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    So much talk about getting a gated Ferrari… I had a gated Gen 1 R8 and hated the gated shifter. I just wanted to relax in my sports car. Yes, it is engaging but people hype them up so much. The F1 is fine and people should enjoy the discount they represent compared to the gated and don’t get caught up in the hype. I have driven a gated 360 and to me it was nothing special. I enjoyed my supercharged C6 Z06 a million times more which was a ten times more capable car.

87testa likes this.
  20. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Relax in your sports car? Correct, gated isn't for you...

/

ItalGerBrit and armedferret like this.
  21. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Yea, a gated 360/430 is so amazing, right…. Lots of other manual cars are ten times more engaging is the point and the manual hype is way over done on these boards.

patina likes this.
  22. 360RonUK

360RonUK Rookie

Jun 16, 2022
    Solihull, UK
    Full Name:
    Ron Daniels
    Do it. I've had 993s, 997s, a 987 and an Aston DBS. The 360 puts a smile on my face like none of those ever could (993 was close at times!)

cavlino likes this.
  23. Bebs

Bebs Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2010
    London, UK
    I have run a 1999 - 360 for the past 20 years and done 115,000 miles. To this day, it is the only car I have owned that has never let me down or stranded. Choose your words carefully based on experience.. not hearsay.