FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FAQ: Shopping for a used 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Camdon53, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawdog6153

lawdog6153 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008
    md
    Full Name:
    jack lee
    im thinking about buying a 360 f1 but have no experience with ferrari's can someone give me some feedback with this vehicle highs and lows, maintainance costs, etc....

2. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    #27 zippyslug31, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    are you looking for coupe or a spyder?..what year are you looking for or more importantly what is your budget?

4. Camdon53

Camdon53 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2006
    Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Jim
  5. OKA

OKA Karting

May 7, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sam
  6. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Again, a BIG thanks to Jim for putting this information down in a well presented manor! I had remembered reading the thread some time ago and did some digging today and made it a sticky for all new comers and old timers.

Robert

7. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    There have been quite a few late model 360s, (2000 and up) that have had issues with the material in the pre-cats breaking down and getting into the engines. 99s might not be a bad bet after all, assuming all of the campaigns have been performed.

8. Matt Andrews

Matt Andrews Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA

where did you get this info?

Precats are still down stream of the exhaust valves, so in order for the material to make its way into the engine, it would have to travel against the flow of the exhaust. I kind of doubt that this happens...

As for the original post, its great info. If this is going to remain a sticky, I would suggest that only info relating to purchasing or issues be kept in here. All the thank yous and random comments get in the way of finding the helpful posts...

Best,
    matt

Samiare likes this.
  9. 1SIKCAB

1SIKCAB Rookie

Aug 3, 2008
    S. Calif.
    Full Name:
    Ken
    how about a write up on how to convince the wifey that an f-car is a necessity rather than a luxury? ....i think that warrants an entirely new thread.

10. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #35 jjsaustin, Sep 14, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2008

I rationalized it to myself as I have a 7 yr old 5 series (in great condition) and I could go buy a new one for 60K and in 4 yrs it would probably be worth about 25K (loss of 35K). Or I could keep my BMW as a daily driver and buy a used 360 (paid 130K for a nice 03 spider). In 4 yrs maybe the Fcar goes down to 95K and it would cost about the same, worse case it costs some more if it drops to 75K. However, Getting to drive/own the car of your dreams.... Priceless! Seriously, this is the car that I would want bar none. You can not put a price on that.

Now granted their are a few details not accounted for like additional depreciation on the BMW (current value ~20K goes down -> 15K), mantainence on the Fcar, etc., but I'm not looking to punch holes in my own rationalization! As people always say, cars are not an investment in most cases.

I would also compare this to a boat or pool. We recently spent 120K on a pool. I will not see that money again and their are constant maintainence costs and chemical/elictrical costs as well, but it is worth it to have a pool in TX. Some purchases can not be justified on costs alone.

Samiare, JRE and Keith Darby like this.
  11. lawdog6153

lawdog6153 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008
    md
    Full Name:
    jack lee
    i agree with everything you have said, I actually spoke with the largest ferrari lease dealer in america for a long long time, and asked these exact questions, He took the time and effort to give me the correct answers. The main reason for the low mileage over 10,000 high mileag eis that service doubles after 10,000 miles 60 percent increase in service

12. trialman1

trialman1 Karting

Oct 18, 2008
    new york
    Full Name:
    steven
    Great write up Camdon. I just purchased my 1st Ferrari, a 2000 w/ 12k and factory power train warranty. While it rides a little harder and is louder than my Porsche, ITS A BLAST

13. RogerLee

RogerLee Rookie

Dec 3, 2008
    Jax Beach, Florida
    Yes very good information in this sticky. Glad I read the part about the 01 model problems. Can't wait to grill the dealer tomorrow about these questions. :)

14. mike0804

mike0804 Rookie

Dec 12, 2008
    Thanks for posting. Very useful information.

15. ELP_JC

ELP_JC Formula 3

Dec 13, 2008
    #40 ELP_JC, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    Very informative post, but wish it had mentioned the belt issue. Ferrari recommends 3yr-15K miles, when other manufacturers call for 7/10yr and 105K miles. A seller said it's perfectly safe to go 5yr-30K miles, and don't doubt that, but with an interference design, rather hear an independent view on this. Main problem is no dealer anywhere close. Anyway, seems like a dealer cash cow to me more than a real need. But the better question is why the heck belts rather than chains on a $150K+ car?? This is a BIG detraction from the car, especially with no dealer around. I don't think anybody enjoys a major service on a practically new car, not to mention the expense. Decisions, decisions. Take care.

16. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    I don't agree that the F1 clutch wears the same as the manual. I have 33,000 miles on my manual clutch. Anyone else close with an F1?

17. lucky6600

lucky6600 Rookie

Nov 8, 2007
    Cromwell CT
    Full Name:
    Ching
    thank you for the information !!

18. checklist_34

checklist_34 Karting

Nov 26, 2008
    This is extremely helpful.

Is there a similar thread about the F430? Anything to fear in '05 or '06 models?

19. ThreeSixty

ThreeSixty Karting

May 4, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    George G
    #44 ThreeSixty, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    as I've done exactly what was written. Now, I feel so much better about my 360 Spider... just picked it up last Friday from the guy who did the PPI. We went ahead and had the fluids and belts replaced. And yes, I did put a couple of hundred miles on it over the weekend.

Here's a pic:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Solobagpiper

Solobagpiper Karting

May 6, 2009
    Piedmont, California
    Full Name:
    Mark Frost
    Is the 360 (all years) emissions legal in California?

21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Have to be even for a Scotsman!

22. Solobagpiper

Solobagpiper Karting

May 6, 2009
    Piedmont, California
    Full Name:
    Mark Frost
    :)

23. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Piedmont is close enough to Dublin to join our bi-weekly gatherings.

So find a car and advise if you need help doing so.

Then you can drive out to meet up with us.

24. FQ340

FQ340 Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    istanbul
    Full Name:
    ahmet
    Is there a gorgeous thread like this for F430?

25. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    A stradale version of this or a "key things to look for in a stradale"?

I am just reading up on stradales and scuderias right now, probably purchase later this year and am building my own list of "things to look for" which is a superset of this original posting, with some obvious considerations about the use of the car (e.g. track, LCs) but dont think I am far enough along to put together a comprehensive posting.

I am sure others have gone through this as well, so any pointers are appreciated.