FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FAQ: Shopping for a used 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Camdon53, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Unleashed183

Unleashed183 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    in the uk how much does it cost to maintain a ferrari 360 now? I found a few models with around 30 thousand miles for 40 thousand and even though I dream of the 458 italia I cant afford it lol so I got a quote for 1,500 a year for insurance and I dont know the rest of the charges like services and I tried to google but the prices are from 2003 that I find and nothing with 2011 for uk prices.

Sled Driver likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Unleashed183

Unleashed183 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    google found prices of maintaining a ferrari but in 2003 and many years ago.. I could not find anything for 2011 and recently.. thanks for the link, I am in the Cambridge area so I think kent is the closest ferrari dealership.. afaik..

but from the site you gave me it looks like around 12/13k a year would do nicely

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There is no official Ferrari dealership in Kent but there are many good independents all over - I'd expect total annual cost to be nearer £ 5000 than £ 12000 - take a look at some of the other threads and for every dollar mentioned think pound

5. Unleashed183

Unleashed183 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    I would of thought in the usa or countries where they use the dollar (or out of the uk not just in america) the pricing would be much different to the uk so where I see the $ sign i ignore it..

but closer to 5k is even better.. more affordable. plus for me insurance would be 1,500 a year..

oh wait its a showroom in kent

.. hope its ok to post the link http://www.theferraricentre.com/

6. coldwd

coldwd Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    Halifax, NS Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Camdon53...Thanks for consolidating all of this information into one post. I read this prior to & used the info/advice during my recent purchase of my first Ferrari, and 04-360. Much appreciated.

7. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    Re-Posting here from another thread at the request of several fchatters:

1. Check rear lights, lightly lift up on them, then release. If they move more than a few mm and drop with a clunk, one post is likely broken. Common failure. I had two broken at purchase but was not in-the-know enough to get them replaced pre-purchase. [F430 Issue, not sure this is an issue on 360s]

2. Run the top completely up and down 5-10 times (wait in between to not overheat hydraulic system) but make sure there is no sticking, uneven movement, etc. [If it is a coupe do not try and lower the convertible top, the car might flip over!]

3. On a dead cold start, first of the day, watch for a puff of smoke.

4. Get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) if they let you (not likely at many dealers, but try)

5. Create a numbered list with any issues you find pre-purchase, adjust the pricing to get the show stoppers fixed, or have them fixed before purchase.

6. If it has the carbon brake option, get the wear reading. Only a SD3/2 can do this, so the dealer, or a good independent shop.

7. Have them print the complete SD3 report. Just save it, will come in handy later in ownership). If its a F1 car the clutch wear will be indicated on it.

8. Have them print the original options list (its not the same as the window sticker)

9. Have them re-print the original window sticker, if this dealer was the original dealer.

10. Have them print the service history. Great reading.

11. Check to make sure the rear glass is secure, lift up on either side. It should not budge. If loose you will get squeaks (annoying and a bit tricky to re-secure by yourself) [Assuming its a Spider, this is the little rear window/wind-diffuser between the roll bars]

12. Make sure you have everything (flashlight in glove box, books, tool kit, jack, etc)

13. Get the RADIO codes!!!!!

14. Take a long drive 20min+ and shift a lot. Make sure the F1 (assuming F1) does not jump into N or act strange. If you think its acting strange film it with your iphone. Dont crash doing so.

15. Make sure you have at least 2x key fobs that actually work.

16. Utilize FChat for any questions or concerns, it is quite literally a bottomless pit of knowledge. Make sure you give us all of the information, year, model, trans, etc and a detailed question. You will rarely get pinged for too MUCH info.

17. You must post pics of your car within 37 seconds of you first post announcing you purchased a Ferrari, if not you will feel the wrath of Fchatters yearning to see the new baby.

18. Subscribe and support the community. This sight will save you time, money, and help you make an educated purchase. The post purchase support you will get here is invaluable as well.

JRE likes this.
  8. A6Gator

A6Gator Rookie

Apr 8, 2012
    Hello! This is my first post as a FC member and had a few questions. It seems to me that the 360, for me anyway, is the sweet spot for Ferrari ownership. I was wondering: just how often does the belt replacement need to be done and roughly what will set me back? Brakes and clutch service? How often and how much? I really picked up a lot reading this forum and my passion has been tempered a bit, but a later 360 still seems to be the right answer. Does a FerrariApproved car obviate all the questions one would have in buying a first Ferrari or not? Appreciate the vector!

9. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Also my first post. I bought a 360 F1 spider new in 2001 and still own it. It has about 22k miles on it, most of which have been put on since 2005 when I returned from living overseas. I drive it two or three times a week as a daily driver (i.e., groceries, golf, etc.) and have probably experienced most of the common problems with that model. I have had the car serviced regularly, so far at authorized Ferrari dealers only (mostly at Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale, which was previously Shelton Ferrari). I have mixed feelings about that dealership and have been thinking about moving to a local reputable independent (I'm in Naples, where there is no Ferrari dealership).

In the 11 years I've owned the car, this is what I've had to do as far as repairs and maintenance:

- Annual service at $1100-$1200 each (I have missed a year here and there)
    - Belt services at $4500-$5000 each (Ferrari says every three years)
    - Painted front bumper at $1700 (road rash). I've since put a clear bra on the bumper.
    - Sticky switchgear cleaned up at $900 (regret not doing that myself)
    - Convertible top repair at $4500 (one hydraulic ram had to be replaced, which required removal of the roof, which required a special lift the dealer said he had to bring in (like I said, mixed feelings))
    - Replacement of the top dash pad at $4500 (Florida sun). I've since learned that dealers tend to subcontract jobs to local upholsterers to recover the original dash for about half that. I've also since installed a nearly clear ceramic film on all the glass, and I put the top up if I plan to leave the car in the sun for an hour or more.
    - Upgrade to CS transmission ECU at $1500
    - Turn signal relay replaced at $400
    - Tires at $1800
    - I have also repaired several smaller problems myself (battery replacement, alarm siren, etc.), often by reference to this forum.

I have yet to pay for a new clutch, although I was told that I'm getting close. Ditto for the brakes. Also, my air conditioning compressor has a small leak. I haven't replaced it yet, but I was quoted $1500 plus labor.

Buying from a reputable dealer may alleviate some concerns, since a reputable dealer would be unlikely to accept a questionable vehicle on trade. "Reputable" is the key. I'd suggest that ownership and service history are more important. Service history reveals not only whether the car has been serviced properly but also suggests how conscientious the owner was.

I would recommend you search for a low owner car where the ownership trail looks correct (some dealers/brokers work hard to avoid adding owners of record by renting cars and providing dealer plates). A car that has been driven regularly year round (even once a week) is probably going to be more reliable that one that hasn't. I would not get caught up in the various options, e.g., electric daytona style seats, scuderia shields, etc., but I would suggest that you buy red, yellow, black or silver since those colors will probably sell faster if you decide later that the 360 was a mistake.

Good luck.

JRE likes this.
  10. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    Does anyone know if the owner of a Ferrari that had previous owners can obtain the service records from new for their car?

Al

11. TexasSteve

TexasSteve Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Here here, I am going to be here for a while, looking. I am new by the way. Hey everybody.

JRE likes this.
  12. sldinsandiego

sldinsandiego Rookie

Aug 25, 2012
    Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    Full Name:
    Stacey Davenport
    Thank you, your writeup was exactly was I was looking for and needing when I joined Ferrarichat.com yesterday, excellent job and information.

13. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    I have just purchased an 04 360 Spider - delivery and pics next week.

The guide was very helpful. There is one available on the "other Ferrari blog" as well, it's more of polished but reminds me of a magazine article.

Get the CarFax and a CarProof, and if the state/province has a used car info package available which give vehicle history get it too. Put the information from them all together and see if they match. On one car I was looking at, I was able to find out who had wholesaled the car from an auction, the name of the leasing company who had owned before them and other aspects of it's history.

And get an independent pre-purchase inspection from a reputable source - a Ferrari expert who has the computer for hookup. It does not have be a dealer and in fact it may be preferable they not be, as they could have an axe to grind - one way or the other on the vehicle.

14. superwoman

superwoman Rookie

Apr 9, 2012

Hi Dog,

I completely agree with your point. I also own a small business and lurking for a 360. I have enough cash to buy it off but rather finance it and save my cash for liquidity in case things go wrong.

I guess we all have different perspectives because If I was working for someone and making a big salary, I probably will buy it cash because I don't have to worry about any CF problem versus when I'm running my own business.

JRE likes this.
  15. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I "could" but one but with <5% interest I could easily (and am) out investing that rate. With compound interest I can pay for a new car over that time ;)

Ferrari finance for me!

JRE likes this.
  16. Opie

Opie Karting

Sep 23, 2006
    North NJ
    Any similar guide for prospective 430 buyers?

17. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Hey guys, I'm trying to identify that bag with the two leather straps securing it in the boot/trunk. Is it a cover? Or a jack?

Really, a Ferrari flashlight comes with? Say, now that's classy! :D

18. ferrari360s

ferrari360s Rookie

Oct 20, 2012

consider the 2004/2005's

JRE likes this.
  19. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have a 2005 360 that is still eligible for the factory power train warranty. I believe I have 2 years left. Great peace of mind if your concerned about any major repairs.

20. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Anyone? I'd like to be able to do an inventory before purchase (remote) and I don't know what to call this item. Is the fix-a-flat in there? Must be other stuff too, though. Thanks.

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Fix a flat kit is in there.

22. TBigs

TBigs Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Thanks Need.