FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

FAQ: Shopping for a used 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Camdon53, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    When shopping, my advice is to look nation wide- I quickly realized I'd have to expand the search because I was not going to compromise on condition, color or transmission. If you find something that interests you outside your region, go to the region section of f-chat and post questions to local people for dealer reputation, PPI recommendations, or even if anyone knows the specific car. Send private messages where appropriate. Don't compromise on what you want.

Finally, ferraris are not toyotas- if you find what you want and have to move up in price (within reason) do it if you can/need. For a really clean no stories car I would not let a few thousand break a deal. If you go for a car that seems much cheaper there could be a reason- to pay less upfront often means to then try to correct things either mechanical or cosmetic will likely cost more than you think or more than the purchase price difference vs a perfect or very near perfect car.

Good luck with the search- part of the fun and excitement. You may get lucky, but it took me 6 months and I got the car from a dealer in MO and had it shipped to NJ. My purchase process worked out very well-I was so excited when I got the car after years of waiting, then a half year of searching. I'm still excited and I have had the car for over 3 years!

Andrew

JRE likes this.
  2. Vino Bello

Vino Bello Karting

Jan 21, 2004
    Cali
    Thank You for the write up. Very helpful.

3. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Maybe this has been said, but after looking for and purchasing a 360... I think I would recommend a large filter inbetween your decision and (i) indirect knowledge of any car and (ii) online opinions of value, conditions, and history, both which you fill find (here) in ready supply. Everyone likes to chime in, tell you what they would pay or what it is 'worth', that in their opinion the history is tarnished, doesn't have the right options, or even give you opinions that differ with respect to maintenance... I watched the market, came up with my own quantitative valuation method to evaluate cars, and I wouldn't presume it would work for anyone else.

You are the one that really needs to get comfortable, fall in love with the purchase, and open your wallet...

-n

JRE likes this.
  4. Iced Coffee

Iced Coffee Karting

Dec 27, 2012
    Willow Park, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike N.
    Wow...lots of great info in this thread, especially for a n00b like myself. Lots to absorb but thank you!

5. rcoppolino

rcoppolino Rookie

Dec 14, 2012
    #130 rcoppolino, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2013
    Great summary for everyone thanks!

Great information thanks for taking the time to put it together!

6. GOB

GOB Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Panama
    Full Name:
    Gus
    besides the items mentioned on the OP, is there a list of common issues and fixes available so prospective buyers could look for these?

7. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    Search here for "360 header problem"
    This is a big one as the 360 exhaust was so subtle that many owners felt compelled to change it out with an aftermarket exhaust. Ferrari FNA then claimed those aftermarket exhausts were the cause of header cracks. Can be thousands of dollars in the repair, yet starnge that the 355 had the same problem...

8. t.bohner@att.net

Mar 24, 2013
    Looking to buy a 2000 / 360 Coupe - 17k mi / stick / 3 owners / new belts / no accidents / generally good shape . How does a price of 72k sound?

9. Dr. No

Dr. No Rookie

Apr 26, 2013
    El Carib
    Full Name:
    Dr. No
    Like your Cheap! I would think around 80k as you described, but you never know, keep looking and good luck!

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    JRE likes this.
  11. viperboy

viperboy Rookie

May 27, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for posting this. It is a great help on my journey for a 360.

12. EdwardRatia

EdwardRatia Rookie

May 30, 2013
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I'm a new 360 owner Thank great info ! Thanks for sharing !

JRE likes this.
  13. northsyd

northsyd Karting

Jun 11, 2013
    white north
    Full Name:
    chopper
    Just bought a04 360 spider... had a couple of Porsches, but looking forward to delivery of my first Ferarri. Can't wait!

14. mbutter

mbutter Rookie

Apr 10, 2011
    Please let me know your thoughts on a 2001 360 with 40,000 miles spider great shape good records red / tan F1 no stories 2 owners. What do you all think would be a good offer? I need to act and you input is greatly appreciated!!

15. cm2

cm2 Formula 3

Sep 26, 2012
    SF Bay
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    You'll get a huge range with that question, even if you did have a lot more information for people to go by. Look at the 360 pricing thread, and offer what its worth to you.

16. mbutter

mbutter Rookie

Apr 10, 2011
    I looked at the pricing guide post and it is awesome work! It looks like high mile 360's above 30k are off the chart but I do not think it reduces the value significantly at that point. So the 360 2001 has the F 1,s no Daytona seats, challenger shield, standard wheel, new tires, new F1 pump, major service done. Worried about the header issue however. I am out in the sticks with no ferrari support to do a PPI so I am on my on here. I own a Maserati so have a good understanding of some of the issues with buying the right car. I am thinking in the 70ish range would be fair. All books, tools, keys, bags are there and no mods which I like. By the way this group on this site is the best!

17. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    Even if you're "in the sticks" and cant find a Ferrari dealership to do a PPI, any competent shop can do even a basic PPI to look for issues. They should be able to do a compression check, look for cracking rubber bits, worn suspension parts, etc.. stuff you might not be able to see without access to a lift.

Header issues can be solved with an aftermarket set from a company like Fabspeed or Agency Power, and for much cheaper than stock. It also adds some power and makes the sound better :)

JRE likes this.
  18. mbutter

mbutter Rookie

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks. I think your suggestion to get a good mechanic to get it on a lift and do an inspection even if they are not a Ferrari can be a good stop gap. I do have a guy in town that has worked on my Maserati and is mostly a Porsche / BMW dude but I think your suggestion is right on! Thanks for thinking of that and the suggestion. Much appreciated.

19. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I am seriously contemplating a 1999 360 F1 as I have owned my 97 Jaguar XK8 Coupe for going on 14 years now. As I'm retired I only put about 3k on my car each year so it's time for a Ferrari.
    There is a local private sale of a 360 F1 (through a dealer on consignment) in Fiorano Red with 25k miles. It has the Scuderia badges, run flat tire, and electric seats. What should come with it besides the handbooks? I only saw two keys -- the one that was used for the test drive and a red one. Should there be three (I guess one is a spare and the red one a master -- whatever that means)?
    I looked through the service receipts and saw that several campaigns had been done but don't remember which ones. I will have a PPI done at the local Ferrari dealership so I assume they will know. Is there anywhere I can look to see what campaigns were required?
    It has had the following done in February.
    Clutch replacement (due to slipping into neutral when warm).
    Cam belts (not sure about the variators)
    All other belts.
    Ferrari gearbox service (whatever that means).
    Brake fluid change
    Coolant and power steering service (not sure if that was replace or top off).
    Cabin filter replacement.
    4 wheel alignment.

The Autocheck report came back at 99%
    Seems like it's been well maintained even though it's had four owners.
    Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Alan

JRE likes this.
  20. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Just found out the the variators where changed in Campaign 97. Will that fix the problem for good?
    Thanks
    Alan

21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    See post 1 of this thread.............

22. rob4092xx

rob4092xx Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is a great Thread! I used it for reference when I picked up my silver Ferrari 360 Modena. Just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone!

Walter D. Robinson
    Walter Duane Robinson

23. dirtlawyer

dirtlawyer Rookie

Sep 28, 2013
    Orlando, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I went to my first Cars and Coffee this weekend, set up by the central Florida guys on FChat, and now I'm hooked on the idea of a 360. Mr. Bock (FChat name) was a great resource and someone who really drives his car. Quite an inspiration to get a 360. Thanks for a great post, I will be going back to this over the coming year or so.

24. 360ruffy5

360ruffy5 Rookie

Oct 1, 2013
    NJ/NY
    Full Name:
    Angelo
    i,m a Ferrari wanabe owner
    in the market for a 360 coupe preferable manual 2003-2005
    red&cuoio is first choice but i will take other colors
    can any one help me please?

25. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Check this one out as IMHO it's a steal at $79k although it is an F1 so not sure how fixed you are on a 6 speed. I love mine and the clutch was recently replaced so that should not be an issue.
    Alan
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/426373-sale-2003-ferrari-360-coupe-f1-yellow-black-recent-major-service-new-clutch.html