FAQ: Shopping for a used 360 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

FAQ: Shopping for a used 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Camdon53, Mar 31, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    +1. I agree.

Dan

JRE likes this.
  2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree.

Dan

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Its definitely not the car for everyone, and its definitely not the most reliable car nor the cheapest car to repair. They probably figure "you want to play you gotta pay..."

But the smile my 360 puts on my face every time I drive it is priceless.

The car looks great and the driving experience is like no other.

Also, every person I know dreams of owning a Ferrari one day. I am glad I was able to have my dream car come true before I kick the bucket.

Life is too short and we sure cant take our money with us when we croak.

So even with all the Ferrari shortcomings I have no regrets in buying one.

Dan

JRE likes this.
  4. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Just picked up a VW Tourareg at the auction and here goes....102,000 miles and needs:Water pump, timing belt, and thermostat = $1400. Needs heater core changed due to leaking = $1350. Needs TPMS stems on all wheels at $400. Still has engine codes showing temperature cooling issues...too cool running temps..hoping that is thermostat related. Brake booster codes showing vacumn issues...hopefully not new booster...haven't looked into that cost yet. Navigation/radio dead...needs after market unit. Fan's run too long after shutting down engine...drains battery...switch issue's etc. Bought this tank for my 16 yr old son to be safe in but decideing whether to put the work into it now or roll it back to auction. I think many newer cars cost PLENTY of money to maintain and keep on the road these days. If I want bullet proof I go Toyota or Nissan!

5. yellowducatista11

Aug 16, 2014
    Meadow Lake, SK, CDN
    Full Name:
    Lee Douglas
    Here is a funny, and perhaps twisted, thought.

I own a Honda s2000 (summer car) and a Subaru WRX STi (winter car). Both are my daily drivers, they are paid for, and bullet proof. Which is precisely why I'll hold onto them. They burn gas, not oil. I put the gas in, turn the key, and go to and from work effortlessly each day, without fail and without surprises, which I appreciate.

But, I have to say, their reliability is a bit "boring". I'm a problem solver. I enjoy being faced with problems and finding the very best solution for them. While I love both of my cars, they don't "speak to me". They provide safe reliable service, and ask for nothing in return. Maybe, just maybe, we all want a car that is a little "needy". A car that says, "Hey, pay attention to me (pun intended $$$). Fix me." Isn't it that "needy" aspect that we regard as "personality" in a vehicle to some extent?

I'm not saying that I relish the prospect of a $10,000.00 repair bill, but at the same time, when we have to do more than just put gasoline in a car, we develop a relationship with it. Moreover, when the problems are solved, and the car is running flawlessly, doesn't it feel that much better?

I don't know, maybe I'm a glutton for punishment. Or maybe, it's nice to feel needed, even when that feeling comes from fixing a car.

6. anthony serra

anthony serra Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    geelong
    thank you for articale

7. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Kind of relevant, I have a '77GTB in good condition with records for my 12 years of ownership (lots of little stuff, 2-majors, new AC system, carbs rebuilt, fuel lines, hoses, clutch, WP, and new leather) and a dealer offered my $80k on a trade for a F355...and he'd only seen the two photos of my car that I'd emailed. Understand his asking price on the 355 is up there, but I thinking I will make a trade this year at some point. Love the 355 and 360.....maybe if things keep going crazy in the 308 market I can swap for a F430 next winter! :)

8. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    I've been slowly poking around for a 360 for over a year now, and just haven't found the car and deal that sticks. I'm teetering on just holding out a bit longer and going for the F430, which isn't helping me locate a 360.

What do you guys reckon the annual depreciation on 360's is at this point? Any good reason to wait them out, or are there good reliable, affordable, drivers cars out there to be had? Perhaps the 360 platform has about leveled out on devaluing.

The TCO factor is one major issue (like comparing timing-belts, cam belts, etc. to more modern innards) that has me undecided between 360 and F430, but man I love the style of the 360 over the F430!

Cheers,

--Scott

JRE likes this.
  9. igor

igor Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Seems to me like they either stopped dropping or maybe even on the rise... Especially the 3 pedal cars. I'm currently hunting for one. The 360 truly does have a timeless body, I saw today a 360 next to a 2014 911 and the 360 looked like the newer car lol

10. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I also will be in the market for a 360 this summer. I have read a lot, I think my head is spinning now, and a lot of good info here.
    Is there somewhere a list of models/options/years to stay away from? It appears with all
    F-cars the later the model year the better, however the 360 seams 2002 and newer are all good, is this correct?

Thanks

11. Jeffs360spider

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jeff S
    I don't know whether prices of 360s have risen at all but it seems they haven't gone lower in the last year or so.

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Post 1 para 1. What’s the best 360 to get? Some 360 model years better than others??

13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    99 models don't have precats...so a little more get up n go...otherwise I like to go for a few years old in that model as the kinks have been worked out by then...otherwise than that I am not sure there are much differences...

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

I think '02 and later are preferred. There were running changes to make the cars more reliable. The main change was redesigned variators that I think started coming online in '02.

15. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    The redundant question that I cannot seem to find a definitive answer, most likely because it does not exist,

In a 2003/2004 360 is the F1 reliable, or is it not a question of " if it will but when it will" fail.
    And fail with astronomical and ridiculous repair cost that seam to be "normal" ?

16. DanielG

DanielG Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2005
    Veradale
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Oh, and is that why 3 pedals demand more. Just because of cost? I don't by the driving experience theory one bit. I have had the chance to talk to many people and 3 pedals are cool, all my cars are, but the all say the same.....nothing like F1.

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I see some banter in here about price of cars and potential for depreciation regarding 360's. When I was busy filling my sack o' money to buy my first sportscar it was between Porsche (911 premium variants) and Ferrari (308/328/TR/360/430). I always liked both marquees so it made sense to focus on these two. Plus there were a lot of choices between them which made for an interesting mind puzzle as my resources approached the ready state for purchase.

I am not sure I would enjoy doing the virtual shopping as much these days since I couldn't afford a bunch of the choices that were an option for me just two years ago. Back then I was cross shopping lightly used GT3's & GT2's with well used 3-pedal 430's. I was also being prudent and carefully looking at pristine three pedal 360's against well used GT Porches and pristine turbo models.

I am not sure what you guys on the fence are cross shopping with these days. But your choices are severely limited compared to a couple of years ago. If you were like me and always wanted a Porsche or a Ferrari you can now have a lightly used 360 or a lightly used almost new bare bones 911 that has arguably much less "exotic-ness".

I could justify cross shopping the two marquees when it was a Ferrari against a very special Porsche but IDK if I could enjoy it as much if it was for the common P-Car.

aficionado likes this.
  18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

3 pedal for me was a tie to the Ferrari's of the past and perhaps sort of an admission that I had less faith in the longevity of evolving tech to transfer engine power to pavement. I like tech but I dislike complexity in my mission critical toys. The things I have owned in my lifetime that were overly complex "mechanically" always seemed to break before I was ready for them to and the more complex it is the harder it is for me to participate in the trouble shooting and resolution of the issues.

The 3 pedal car is more demanding of ME and adds complexity to the equation but in a more simple mechanical package. I like to challenge myself and obtain mastery of skills along my life's journey so it was a good fit.

If I had an F-1 transmission in my car I would probably shift closer to redline more often since it is just a squeeze and a few milliseconds away. I would probably drive faster and choose more aggressive lines since the tech allows me to concentrate on the road more. I might not enjoy driving at slower speeds as much as I do. The feedback is there in the participation of the mechanical actions and I am piloting a Ferrari! Whoops, let me back up and say that a bit differently...I am piloting my Ferrari! Nothing quite like it!

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey

yes more reliable. Depends what fails. Usually it the pump and I believe its a couple thousand.

20. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    If you put the "nostalgia" factor apart and resale value
    and you just compare both cars maintenance costs I believe the 3 pedal cars premium nowadays is too high, I don't think a F1 gearbox usually breaks in a way that the 3 pedal premium is justified.
    You can get a spider F1 for around the same price (or even less), some people prefer Modenas over Spiders but the Spider is just SEXY

21. Gangsta

Gangsta Karting

Oct 20, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    Same here...
    I am still wondering what are the improvements between a 2000 and a 2004 gated 360 Modena coupe...

22. bfox2718

bfox2718 Rookie

Mar 22, 2015
    Guys.... I am bringing a 360 from Canada back into the US. It was originally made/sold in the US as new, but at some point the car was sent to Canada (Odomoter/Speedometer in Miles and Carfax shows US records for first couple owners). What Import/Export Charges should I expect? Thank you.

23. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    When I went looking for my 360 a few years ago I ended up with a 2004 Coupe F1.
    I am not sure what year 2003 or 2004 but Ferrari changed the Relay in the F1 system from a 30 Amp to a 50 Amp and it has been a huge difference in the failure rate.
    I was told the 30 amp relays would get hot and stick and cause the Pump to stay on and burn out. Also the F1 pump Ferrari uses is the same for lots of other models, the Maserati being one. I saw a price of around 450.00 for the pump.
    You cannot replace the 30 amp F1 relay with a 50 amp as the socket is a different pin configuration
    I seem to always buy the last model year. I had an 85 308 QV and then 95 348 Spider and now the 360. Was very happy with all 3 models. You cant go wrong with the last model year

24. rmlovett1

rmlovett1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 27, 2011
    GA
    Full Name:
    RL
    Back after a 3 year hiatus. Owned a 355 spider 5 years ago, traded up to a 360 Spider 4 yrs ago. Had it, loved it and traded it.....THINKING I'd like a Gallardo better. Didn't like the Lamborghini experience as much as I thought I would. The Ferrari experience, history, elegance, etc.... Is just a better fit for me. After the Lambo I veered back into American muscle with a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca edition(it's a pretty cool car) But, after 2 years, that 'Ferrari itch' never went away. The 360 is the only car I ever sold, and still kept all my t-shirts, hats, flags, etc... So I pulled the trigger this week on a 99 360, F1, Grigio Titanium. Currently sitting at Ferrari Long Island. Can't wait to be back behind the Ferrari wheel again! Just wanted to check back in to Fchat!

cavlino likes this.
  25. Mark Merkel

Mark Merkel Rookie

May 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Merkel
    Please see my thread. selling my 2002 260 Coupe