farewell | FerrariChat

farewell

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Stefano1, Jan 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stefano1

Stefano1 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Stefano Bini
    After a valiant attempt at getting a licence plate on my car, it left for Indiana this week for a new owner. The primary problem with the car had to do with its gray market status and the new buyer was fully aware of pretty much everything.

The last time I lost so much money in 2 years was in the stock market crash! Good thing my wife still talks to me... although it keeps coming up...

I made a little video of the 400i and registered a soundtrack for the engine that serves as background. Sounds like a caged tiger who'se none too pleased....

http://youtu.be/JRC63vVdGOk

I enjoyed getting to "know" many of you on this site and thank many of you for you advice during the process. I wish you all a great 2013 with (y)our beloved Ferrari 400i's.

Best Regards,

Stefano

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Stefano

My heart breaks with the stories of your difficulties in refreshing your car and getting it imported back into the U.S. and certified in California.

I remember when you bought it and the excitement that you had when you commissioned the work to be done to make the car everything that you wanted it to be. I am so sorry that your first Ferrari plans didn't work out and hope that someday soon you have another Ferrari experience that will be as uplifting and fun as this one was disappointing.

3. Stefano1

Stefano1 Karting

Dec 28, 2008
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Stefano Bini
    Yes, thanks for the thoughts! Best regards,
    Stefano

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Sorry that it didn't work out, Stefano. Perhaps you can get another one that is already in CA some time...

Nice video - your car was a beauty.

Aidan

5. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I'm sorry California's absurd emissions regulations caused you so much trouble and expense. Imagine, a car which can in fact pass the sniffer test, which will be driven not as much as 5,000 miles per year, to be denied registration because it could not pass that sealed room hocus pocus. The difference in actual regional air quality between a passing car and a failing car has got to be unmeasurably infinitesimal, basically on the molecular level. The jack-booted thugs at CARB are no different than the medieval inquisitors with their test for witches, that they'd dunk them underwater and if they drowned then they were exonerated. When I first got my '83 400i last February, and its 90-day temporary use permit expired before I could get a passing sniffer test, I always had the worry when I drove it that any given cop could notice the expired plate and call for a tow and impound. I anticipated that such an impound would then make it impossible for me to do anything more about passing the test and that at that point my only option to be to sell the car out of state, before the total of the daily impound fees had exceeded the car's eBay re-sale value. I did manage to pass and get the car registered, but it took three months of tinkering. Yet at no time did my car's test results exceed any parameter by 50%. That is, my car was emitting no more than 1.5 cars of the same model year. And I am sure that I will never drive the car even one-half of the average annual mileage of other '83s that are still on the road. Does this even enter into the calculation? No, of course not. Not when you're dealing with CARB, and statist-greenists in general.

6. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    that car is beautiful...what a shame it's leaving an owner with so much passion.

sorry Stef,

brett

7. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    Stef finally let it go

Posted from Ferrarichat.com App for Android

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Heartliy agree.
    Seems an alternate registration venue would be an easier alternative.