Fat Tire Bikes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fat Tire Bikes

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Scotty, Jun 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

MFR APEX...show samples so they were cheap $100 ea, some of the best quality carbon I saw at the show ill post pics when I have them built up..i bought up some 29er carbon rims from another MFR and they are not as good...

2. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    That's great. What the weights and can they be set up tubeless?

3. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

650g not that light but strong..yes can be set up tubeless...my build will be tubeless..

4. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

#29 norcal2, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally got this wheel built out 6.8lbs with 16 oz of Stans running tubeless and a Schwalbe jumbo jim snakeskin 4.8 tire with a dt swiss 350 150mm hub with my Surly Ice Cream Truck (ICT) fork and wheel come in at 11.bs gonna have to ride it!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    What's the weight on the f/s Carver?
    I widened the the rear triangle of a Diamondback Catch2 (27.5 plus) frame to accomadate 80mm rims with Surly 4.8 tires. I'm now building a set of 60mm wide wheels for 3" wide tires for summmer use. The bike is around 36 lbs with the fat tires, (before I added a emotor). The I used a Renegade RST fat bike fork. Manitou Mastodon is another fat bike fork.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I'm seriously considering picking up a Trident Terrain 26, a folding, recumbent, fat tire trike as a tool to aid my recovery. Still working out the cripple specific devices that I will need but I'm excited to give it a go!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b0HVi-ID4d0

It's the same seat heigh as the wheelchair.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated before I take the plunge.

Regards,

Art S.

7. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Art, watched the video but I have no experience, but maybe a couple of observations. Seat looks like something that you love or you hate. I suspect the rig is very heavy (relatively)--fine if you are riding on level ground, maybe not so fine if you have hills. The dude riding looks to be in very good shape, therefore I wouldn't take how the trike performed with him riding it as how it will work for you. Having said all that, if I had a relatively level road and needed something like this I would buy one in a second.

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Scotty,

Thank you for the feedback, it is really appreciated! Considering your feedback and that of some local friends, I think one of these is in my future.

Its the cheapest fat tire trike on the market with a base price of $1500. I think the weight is around 50 pounds. To save 15 pounds (and probably have a slightly better ride) it would double or triple the base price and have too low of a seating position for me.

Of my immediate concerns, speed and performance aren't high on the priority list. For perspective, my alternate is a granny trike. My hope is that a recumbent fat tire will be fun and user friendly enough that I will want to use it regularly.

My thought is that its stable so I don't need to worry about balance and with the 26" wheels and fat tires (there's a 20" wheel version) the seat is of similar height as my wheelchair. I sat in a thin tired trike with the same basic frame geometry and it seems OK comfort wise. However, relative to a wheelchair, most things are! The initial target use is a canal 'tow path', which is a well maintained, very level, dirt path. Hopefully, I'll build enough strength to eventually do some hillier terrain. Or maybe on the beach! I still need to figure out a combo of adaptive equipment that will compensate for minimally functioning muscle groups, such as fingers (brake actuation, gear shifting), derailleur vs. geared hub, etc.

Regards,

Art S.

9. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Art, a couple of additional thoughts. I wouldn't take a second mortgage on your house to do so, but I have NEVER regretted having a lighter bike. A couple pounds seems insignificant (you could also just go the bathroom before you ride) but on any hill the difference (and advantage) is striking. Also, I have NEVER regretted having too low a low gear. Since I don't bike race (I do an occasional organized ride, but I ride for fun) I really don't care about spinning out a high gear (meaning traveling faster, usually downhill, than I can pedal) but I love me a good granny gear.

For example, on my 29er mountain bike I have a low gear that I don't use every ride. But when I am riding in 100 degree heat, and my stomach is upset, and I'm tired from a previous day's ride, and the hill is both step and technical, etc. I really really appreciate having it.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Question: Does anybody make a fat tire bike that is a cruiser? You know, it has fenders and a rack for carrying stuff? They just built a new grocery store about a mile or two from where I'm moving to. I'd love to pedal over, buy groceries and take them home. But I don't like the skinny tire bikes because they go flat too easily. Does anyone make something like this?

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Yes. Here's one example--http://salsacycles.com/bikes/mukluk, but likely more hard core than you need. This company has racks available and the cost is significantly less: Cruiser | Electra Bikes

You also might consider an e-bike--tons of those now available with big tires, assist motors, and racks.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    saw my first one today, on a sidewalk trail.

14. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Ha! Just seeing this thread now - had no idea these were getting so popular - this is really the only way to ride on the beach :)

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I saw a fat tire unicycle the other day.

16. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Not a fat tire unicycle, but worthy of a post. I've actually seen this guy several times in downtown PDX. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVjkE87FDY

17. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have 2 electric fat tire bikes I ride on the beach boardwalk from Santa Monica to Hermosa beach and back, 30 miles round trip, it's blast!

18. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    The plus bikes are really catching on too, for good reason. A 27.5+ is about 29" tall with the tire. 2.8"-3" wide. It's the best of both worlds. With a wheel change you can run a 2.4x29 too.

Fat bikes are cool

19. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    hope to try one this winter neighbhor was selling one this summer but we had just moved into our new home so could not afford to buy it

20. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    I picked up a Salsa Bucksaw frame a few months back and decided to built it as a 26+/fat. I used a Manitou Magnum 27+ 110 boost suspension fork instead of the Rockshox Bluto. The Bucksaw max tire width is a Surly Nate 3.8 or 45nrth VanHelga 4.0. I'm using Surly Rabbit Hole 26 x 50mm rims for both WTB 26 x 2.8/3.0 -26+ tires and 3.8 Nates. The Nates clear the fork on the 50mm rims. The wheels are mounted with Vee Rubber 4.25 H-Billie tires in the photo.
    Shimano M980 10 speed shifter & derailleur, Sunrace 11-40 cassette, Shimano M975 brakes, Sram gx1000 30t crankset.
    Bike weight is 33.2lbs with the H-Billies and 30.2 with the WTB 3.0's. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    gumbajv--how does it ride?

22. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    I did a short 10 mile road/trail ride on Saturday with the H-billie tires, it felt pretty nimble. My other fat bike with the RST Renegade suspension fork and these tires feels pretty ponderous. I was wondering if it was the fat bike fork. I swapped out the H-billies for the wtb 2.8 but won't have a chance to ride until later this week. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my old Intense Uzzi with wtb 2.3 tires on 50mm rims. The Uzzi weighs 29 lbs.
    That fact that I can run 2.8 - 4.0 tires makes this a pretty versatile frame.

23. gumbajv

gumbajv Karting

Dec 2, 2010
    Just an up date. I replaced the Shimano m980 thumb shifter to a Sram XO 10 speed twist shift and X9 rear long cage derailleur. The advantage being you can shift through entire gear range with a big twist being instead of being limited to the 2 gear max Shimano.
    The fairly new Rockshox Debonair R failed and was replaced with 2018 Fox Performance Float DPS EVOl.
    The HORRIBLE Vee Tire H-Billies 4.25" were replaced with Jumbo Jim 26 x 4.00, which also clear the Manitou Magnum 27.5 boost fork.
    I will switch to Surly Nates 3.8 if we ever get any snow.
    The bike feels very light and responsive even when running 8psi front and 10 psi rear on the trails and on the road home.