Fatal CS accident in Southern Cal. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fatal CS accident in Southern Cal.

Discussion in '360/430' started by jet, Jan 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I wrote a few comments in the Socal section, but I want to expand on them here.

First, RIP to the driver and condolences to his family.

Second, the quotation from the California Highway Patrol in the Ventura County Star is the sole source of information that leads some people to assume that the driver was operating the vehicle above his limits or the car's limits.

Since 2008, I have driven this exact road home every night from work. That's 264 days per year for 5 straight years. Driving home the last 2 evenings, I've looked closely on the road for evidence that the driver lost control of the vehicle. Skid marks? None. Road markers missing from the side of the road? None. Chunks of the earthen berm or soft dirt shoulder grossly disturbed? None. I cannot see any evidence of the accident on either the right hand sweeping turn that the accident was reported to have occurred on, or the follow up left hand sweeping turn that is positioned after a very short bridge that spans an irrigation channel.

My opinion -- and this is just my opinion -- is that some sort of lapse in attention or recognition of the boundaries of the paved road area versus the narrow dirt shoulder was the true cause of this accident. Those curves are so benign that my econobox commuter car can take them at 80mph without a sweat. The evening traffic on that road moves at 65mph minimum, and the official speed limit is 55mph. So when the CHP said the car was traveling at a high rate of speed, it is all relative to what the posted speed limit is.

2. LamboRider

LamboRider Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2011
    Condolences to the family, quite sad.
    Post with more links/photos:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/california-nevada-southern/394385-fatal-ferrari-crash-last-night-camarillo.html