Favorite Racing Movie of All Time | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Favorite Racing Movie of All Time

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Shorn355, Jan 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Favorite Racing Movie of All Time

1. Grand Prix

24 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. Le Mans

27 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Rush

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  4. Other

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I voted for Grand Prix as it was directed by John Frankenheimer and is the only classic racing film with any kind of passable story.

In non-fiction, Weekend of a Champion which is directed by Roman Polanski about Jackie Stewart's experience during a Monaco race weekend is a good watch.

"Champions Forever" which was made during Francois Cevert's last season is also worth looking for. Actually I did the looking, here it is in full:

So is "When Playboys Ruled The World" which focuses on Barry Sheene and James Hunt.

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I didn’t like Ford vs Ferrari. It was well done, however 99% of the movie was focused on Ford. I was hoping to see more from the Ferrari perspective, more insights into Enzo, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I thought that it was a cartoon. A contrived plot line, fake cars, CGI foolery. I especially liked Miles's wife and son listening to le Mans live in broad daylight--forget about the 8 hour time difference.
    The producers had an opportunity to use the genuine cars certainly for the static shots. It would have been a nice touch.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ford V. Ferrari was so innacurate in the details it was hard to watch for me. Matt Damon as Carol Shelby? ... I give the other guy kudos he looked like Ken Miles.. and from what my dad said he was a PITA.

What I did not like at all was the portrayal of Enzo Ferrari.. it was just so wrong, against any real history... Enzo was not at Le Mans - and the rivalry between him and Shelby was not personal ... also Leo Bebe - was the guy who did more for the program than anyone else to get Ford to win at lemans... it was a shame how they showed his character. ... and the racing was pat... and in authentic. Like all you have to do is shift gears and put your foot to the floor to pass someone... very 1950's racing.... from a non racing person.

375+ likes this.
  5. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    A few more (some obscure)with some racing at least…
    Viva Las Vegas
    The Devils Hairpin
    On the Beach
    Red Line 7000
    Thunder in Carolina
    To Please a Lady

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    My favorite in the racing category, and among my favorites regardless of category.

Hard to believe it's been around for fifty years.

7. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Days of Thunder and it isn't even close. Best racing cinematography on film. They got you on the track in a way no other film has.

I also really liked Ford v. Ferrari, but more for the story than the racing. The "fight" outside the house is the best scene in the flick.

8. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    I forgot about the “Boys of Bonneville”

9. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    I like all the movies in the selection. But I chose “Others” as a counterpoint since I didn’t see this mentioned: Pixar’s Cars (the first one). There were so many race-related one-liners and innuendos that racers and race enthusiasts in racing’s deep end can appreciate. Also, unlike other race movies in which comparisons to real racing situations and authentic versions of race cars are made, Cars (being animated) doesn’t have to necessarily contend with such scrutiny. Lastly, it’s a movie that may have helped usher in a new generation of race enthusiasts.

10. EFerrari34

EFerrari34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    It’s not a racing movie, but I’m still gonna say the “new” gone in 60 seconds. When they break into the Ferrari dealer & shine the light on the new 355’s & later go the the dealer & an F-40 is sitting there; leading to the question…”what else is in the warehouse?”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app