Favorite Testarossa Variant | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Favorite Testarossa Variant

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What’s your favorite Testarossa variant?

1. Testarossa - Single Arm Mirror

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. Testarossa - Dual Mirrors

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. 512 TR

22 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. F512 M

4 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Me.....I did just a few tears ago on a busy freeway 400 miles from home. I actually drive cars and not just a few miles from home

Like I said, its a bar hopper.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    AAA will be helpless with a single lug car. They will be towing you to a Ferrari dealer where your car will sit until Monday morning.

3. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    88.5 > Testarossa for me (which happily is what I own). I could do without the mouse belts but I've learned to live with them--I do like the knee bolster for storage, all the leather, and even the modular looking seats--classic Testarossa styling (though I bet the later seats are much more comfortable). As mentioned above the black sills and shorter buttress keeps the car thin and well-proportioned, I like the 5-lug wheels and the balance (and visibility) of dual mirrors. I also prefer the "ugly rear bumper" insert which (to me) breaks up the expanse of the rear bumper and makes the car appear a bit less wide.

I definitely appreciate a lot of the mechanical (not cosmetic) redesign of the 512 TR--it's clear the engineers were given the task to re-think/re-design their components/systems after seeing how they had performed for ~8 years and they made many improvements. I'd definitely take the improved 512TR brakes (especially the late ABS brakes) but I'm not actually that interested in more power (sounds lame I know, and granted I haven't driven a 512 TR), but the Testarossa's power is more than sufficient for a GT car (especially in the USA). None of these are eye-popping 0-60 sheer acceleration cars, nor nimble track cars--at highway speed it has plenty of grunt to easily pass or cruise at any speed I choose. Personally, if I wanted more power it would be for the track, not the street and I would be looking at something not just with more power but more agile and balanced, perhaps an F430 or 458. I have tracked my car a few times and I don't think a lower CG, more power and better brakes would make me want to press the car significantly more than the Testarossa. As for aggressive road use we have some pretty sporty mountain roads here in Northern CA and generally good weather but there is an overabundance of stupid/distracted/non-attentive/non-sober drivers to make it worth pressing much harder than I occasionally do--a real shame for such a fun car--just not worth the risk for me. God I sound old--(I am).

My car is Rosso Corsa but given the choice I'd pick Blue Sera, Blue Chiaro or maybe Verde Chiaro--only change I'd make to my car.

I'm sure the F512M is a beast but I really prefer the earlier hideaway headlights, rectangular rear lamps and rear grill treatment. I'd definitely pass on the "cyclone" wheels and instead go with the optional (standard 512TR) wheels.

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    After reinstalling the single lug wheels with the proper torque I was able to remove them with the tool kit. But it was done in the garage, not on the side of the hi way. I believe I would just call AAA and get it towed somewhere. I have and 87, I like the dual mirrors, good rear visibility.

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  6. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I agree. I think the F12 M is pretty amazing.

Dave rocks and blkdiablo33 like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Just about everything. It’s pretty much as if Monica Bellucci went under the knife for a lift and turned out a mess. To me; ugliest Ferrari ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Well, to each there own, I guess. I think it’s a great evolution. Don’t get me wrong, I also love the 512 TR but the M is amazing in its own right.

Jakuzzi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

U are correct; to each their own;) I do like less plastic surgery and 355 bits.... that being said it is without a doubt the best mechanically and most expensive!

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Try it again after a couple of years of aggressive driving. They tighten themselves. I have removed a great many I installed so am very familiar with the real world process. I never want to do it on the side of the road and I have no desire to have a trip interrupted that way. It's why cars have spare tires. Flat on a Friday afternoon means you will not resume your trip until sometime Monday. No room in my garage for a car with those limitations.

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ummm...

The miata grill with mixed lines.... are we swoopi doopi happy face or chisled?

The broken lines of the otherwise svelt front hood by tack-on headlights and a pair of naca duct wannabies.

Fog lights that refuse to flow with the body lines and punctuate like a teenager’s pimple.

Turn signals that hang there like they don’t know what to do.

Hmmmm....
    Don’t even get me started with a side or rear view!

Sorry.... but you did ask....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I like them all, but I still think the M is awesome.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    What were the dash color options back then?

Was black an option on every color of interior?

Color matched to the seats.... on all colors?

14. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    For me the original model, the 512tr is obviously a better and revised model, but the front of the original looks better, the wheels and the front are very similar to 355 and 348 respectively.
    I think the original TR is the best of all.
    Although I would love to have a 512tr too ;)
    The M is still a beautiful car but it will be at the bottom of my list as well.

Jakuzzi and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

I agree;) I always agree with u!

ferralc likes this.
  16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    Ahhh tooo cute lol

ferralc likes this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Dash options? Any color under the sun. With a dark interior it typically came with a matching color. Ours is dark blue like the seats. Beige was not only unsuitable for a dash it was dangerous so with beige it came brown unless a special request. I have driven TRs and BBs with a beige dash and they should be outlawed. Far too easy to be in total blindness from glare or reflection of the dash on the windshield. The dark brown was found to cause the least reflection.

Trunk carpeting was the odd one. Unless a special request it came with whatever they had laying around. Often matched to the interior but there was no guarantee unless special ordered.

vincenzo likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

I also always agree with u except on prices;)

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No one who put pen to paper ever designed a car to be looked at from that angle. Pininfarina more than any design studio I know designs cars to look their best when viewed from an angle a human would most likely see it. Its why photographers who want a dramatic angle make me crazy. They make beautiful cars look horrible and distorted trying to be cool.

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    512 TR. Still looks modern :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  21. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004