FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Thanks. My plan, BTW, is to get a bike rider's water vest so I don't have to stop to drink.

My current water breaks MUST take a minute or more, all told.

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Ok, I wouldn't normally put myself "out there" like this but I could use some encouragement and accountability and it's nice hearing other's success stories.

So my weight was a lot like Darth's, up and down over the years generally hovering around 200-230. Until about 4-5 years ago that is. Actually I'm not sure when it really happened but it did. I got up to 335 at my heaviest. I lost close to 80lbs in about 8 months in 2013 then gave up again and gained a lot of it back.

Started back last year and lost a bit but ended up back at my high again. Last September I started again at 335 and by Thanksgiving was down to around 295. Held within about 5 lbs of there until the end of the year and am back at it now.

I am using Fat Free With Me - by Belldon Colme which is basically just clean eating. Lean protein, veggies, and some fruit. Along with LOTS of water. Except it goes in cycles with 3-5 weeks being VERY strict and then readjusting to a more normal routine for 3 weeks. No bread, pasta, refined sugar, processed foods, etc.

In one week back at it I've just about gotten rid of the "holiday" weight and am back on path. My goal for this 3 week round is to be down to 285 or less. My ultimate goal is to get to 165.

The bad part is I was more than halfway there. The good part is, I know I'm going to make it this time.

I've had other health issues going on and have recently started using acupuncture as a way of helping with all of it... health issues, weight loss.....everything. I'm only a couple weeks into it but it is helping.

I need to start exercising too and plan to start hitting the gym, well actually no time like now so will head there in a couple hours after work. :)

3. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Glad to hear others sharing the story as well. A few tips that helped me, especially when at my heaviest.

I started ALL cardio. This may not be the "right" way but I wanted to start by losing fat. I scheduled my gym time according with my investment shows (which I wanted to watch). Example: Show starts at 8pm and goes to 9pm. I would show up at the gym for 7:45. Get changed, set up, and warmed up for 8pm. At this point I start my solid one hour of cardio. 9pm I do my cool down. Integrate what you like into your workouts if you have a tv. Football fans can show up at the start of the game and finish at half. Gives you plenty of time to get home and shower for the second half.

Food prep. Eating healthy is not easy, especailly if you are on a bad route. One thing that helped me was preparing the food before. I like Pomegranates so I would take two days a week where I would sit down and peel about 3-5 of them. Place them in ziplock bags so that when I want my healthier option it's just as easy as opening a chocolate bar/bag of chips (etc).

Really want to cut try NOTHING but water for a week. You would be surprised at how touch some people may find this. No pop, juice, beer, etc...just sip on nothing but plenty of water every day for a week. If you can do one week try another etc...making water a habit.

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #29 PureEuroM3, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    36:36 with the new hydration vest that is going back to Sport Chalet for a different one. It actually cost me time.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what did you buy? I have a camelback that works reasonably well.

7. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I got an Outdoor Products. Does the Camelbak give good waterflow without gnashing the **** outta your teeth?

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #33 PureEuroM3, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. F-Nut

F-Nut Karting

Nov 30, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'll play...

I used to work 10 hours a day on my feet, but I started a new job about 18 months ago and sit at a desk all day now. About a month ago I finally joined a gym and I have completely cut out pop (soda for those not in the mid-west...). So far I feel a lot better and more focused when I need to be.

Anyway, my goal is to lose the weight I have gained (10-15 lbs) and just overall be more active.

Good luck to everyone on this thread!

Bill

10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    That's pretty much what I'm doing. During my losing weeks I drink nothing but water and coffee. When I'm in between I still only drink water and coffee but have a few drinks or beers now and then. I couldn't tell you the last time I had juice or soda. Don't miss it a bit.

The one thing that I am really trying to do is eat all real food. No packaged, no processed, no artificial ingredients or anything like that. It's amazing when you start reading ingredients on packages instead of the "nutrition" label. During the summer I try to shop at local farmer's markets and joined a CSA last year. Found a tiny "farm" about 3-4 miles from my house and have gotten to know the farmer. Good dude and good food.

11. chickdmd

chickdmd Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    John Chick
    Just found this thread.. OK. I'm in-need to get and give to achieve my goals. Very similar to previous stories. 50 yr old dentist ( sit on my ass to work), 5'10"- big athlete earlier in life, now just a dentist, husband and dad. 1 hour commute each way. Have been seesawing 40-50 lbs from 170-220 multiple times in last 10 years. Seems harder each time with less results. I think with each cycle I just train my body to store fat more readily! Have just started once again in the new year. I do this alone , have never had connection in doing so. Maybe accountabilty to others and a community may be what I need this time. This site has been fabulous for so many other things, why not my health, too? Lets do this!!

12. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'm going to try and break through the 36 min barrier again today but will row to 8K.

13. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    BINGO!!! :D :D

I dialed up the resistance and lowered my 7.5K time to 35:45, then pulled 8K in 38:00 and on to 8.5K in 40:19. Averaging 2:20/500M, I'm looking at < 47:00 for the 10K. I felt like I could have done it today but don't want to burn out. Everything in moderation. :)

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #39 joker57676, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    Well done!

My gym does testing every fifth week so we can track our progress. I did day one of testing yesterday and will do day two tomorrow. So far, I set new personal bests in 4 out of 5 categories and plan to set serveral other personal bests tomorrow!

Mark

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Rock on!!! :)

16. chickdmd

chickdmd Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    John Chick
    Go Darth!
    Just did my first 7500m on rowing machine tonight at 35:29 - kicked my ass. I dont think I could have done any more just yet. I need to build to 45 min first, then worry about time. Need to keep going... Protein-1 scoop+water on way home from gym. Dinner- small pork chop and pan cooked brussel sprouts/onions/mushrooms. More water and small glass red wine for dessert/motivation, etc. I KNOW-that last part is the rationalization crap that got me into this mess! Try again tomorrow....What are you guys doing with food?-they say diet drives this whole thing and exercise comes next.

17. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I've been on a heath kick for a few months now. Eating better, eating less, going to the gym.

I use the myfitnesspal app to religiously track my food. Its not for everyone, but it has really helped me.

18. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Tell us more!

19. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Eating cleaner and cutting carbs way down. Minimal boozing and no pizza/burgers/potatoes.

MY general rule of thumb is if I have to ask whether or not I should be eating something I probably shouldn't. LOL

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Do you have a Concept 2?

21. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I joined a gym in August. I started with cardio 4-5 days a week, but had to back off a little because I started developing some hip soreness. Now I do cardio every other day and have lowered my speed and raised my incline to maintain the same heart rate with fewer steps. I also added in some weights training a little over a month ago. Seems to be working.

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I have Concept 2...great full body cardio workout .

23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm starting with 3 days/week elliptical/curve trainer for cardio. Ran into a retired friend from work who has been in natural body building for years and now does personal training. I told him once I get more wind and down a few more lbs I would get in touch with him and start doing some weights.

I used to lift years ago and believe it or not was in decent shape once. I want to get back there again.

24. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Somewhat disappointed, somewhat happy. Second day of strength testing did not go as well as the first. My legs were still tired from Tuesday so I did reset my deadlift record as I had hoped. We do three-rep maxes on our lifts. I did my previous record (365) three times fairly easily, but then tried to jump up to 405 and didn't get it. I wasted too much energy

I did, however, set a new record I push-ups until failure...126. Beat my previous record by 25.

I may go in saturday and retry my deadlifts, we'll see how the legs feel.

Mark

25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

DAYUM !! Nicely done!

I bruised a rib or something playing hockey on Tuesday night, and completely trashed my gym schedule for the remainder of the week. Trainer called off all squats, lat pull downs, etc. I was able to do some (very painful) treadmill work, but that was all. Back on the ice this morning at 0530 and felt reasonably decent. So, I hope to be back on schedule next week.

My # are nowhere near yours, but my objectives are quite different (I'm trying to get upper body strength for the sole purpose of baseball batting, and core strength for rotation and speed in the field).

Weight has dropped, and trainer isn't happy. I was 149.7 this morning before going to play hockey. I started the whole process at 175# in mid September or thereabouts.