FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread. | Page 34 | FerrariChat

FC weight loss/life change/fitness challenge thread.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by darth550, Jan 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Jason,

Very rarely will I have sleep problems. In theory with all the east to west coast and long hours I should. But all feels well. I'm getting ready for sleep here and will get my 7 hours.

No workout today though sadly. Worked late a bit so late dinner followed by packing up. Tomorrow is the last day with this client. Saskatoon Saskatchewan back to Toronto.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's good to hear.

Reason I asked is I know it's common for people to not have good sleep even though they're completely exhausted. I know it is for me at times, but if I'm that exhausted and I workout I sleep better.

3. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I am starting off at 0 resistance because I am a newbie (and very out of shape, 5"11 and about 225 lbs and should be around 175). What do you recommend for the resistance increases over time? Pretty gradual? Also is there a significant difference as you go from 1-10?

-Action

4. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Do whatever you can handle.

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I suggest starting on 10 work on your form start slow and your times will increase As your cardiovascular and strength increases.
    My 6y daughter is up to half tabata on 10

6. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Some of my colleagues have something similar but its more sleep patterns that seem off. One of them, older gentlemen, says he will fall asleep after dinner 8 pm or so and than wake up in the middle of the night. Say 1-2 am...work until 5 than go back to bed for a couple of hours.

For me I've had no problems. I get tired through the day so that may help.

7. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    What I did when I started working out (no a rowing machine) was to start slow. For example force yourself to start at 0. Even if it feels good do atleast a couple of workouts at 0. When you feel ready start at 0 and turn it up to 1 or 2 for a couple of minutes see how you feel. Back to 0. Back to 1-2 etc...

That is how I upped levels on my cardio machines using intervals like that.

8. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks guys! I am going to experiment with these resistance levels starting tomorrow!

-Action

9. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Landed early in Pittsburgh so I managed to get a 3.5mile/6km run in. With warm up and excessive cool down 45 minutes. Happy with that!

Should be able to get one in tomorrow.

10. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
  11. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I had a bad weekend of eating bad and being lazy and not exercising. Starting it up again Monday. Wish me luck guys :(

-Action

12. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Start tomorrow.

13. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    + 1

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had a 90 minute massage on Friday and I feel a lot better. I'm really hoping I can finally find a stable job and do them at least once a month. They are so beneficial.

On another note, while I haven't been that on point on my overall diet, I've been fasting in the morning a couple days this past week, I feel like my pants are fitting looser but there's not a difference on the scale. Kinda interesting.

15. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm ashamed to say I've failed and am now "starting over" on my workout / life change goals. Tomorrow day 1. Going to try to do rowing and some weight lifting. :)

-Action

16. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My wife and I are going for a 90 minute massage this Saturday, they are amazing! I recommend them to anyone!

-Action

17. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Andrew,

How did the workout today go?

18. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It didn't :(

I am starting tomorrow - for real. Ugh I feel like such a failure. But I do need to make this a lifestyle change.

-Action

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Set modest goals to begin -- you might have more success. Maybe something as simple as using a Fitbit (or similar) and resolving to take stairs instead of the elevator, or ensure you take 10k steps a day. Whatever it is, give yourself a real and achievable goal to start.

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This.

But I don't think in terms of equipment.

What I used to do is mandate that these (insert days) 3 days (which was how often I worked out when I first started) I HAD to go to the gym for at least 20 minutes. It didn't matter what I did in those 20 minutes, but I had to go no matter how I felt.

What would end up happening would be that the 20 minutes would turn into 45-60 minutes. Set very simple goals of 2 to 3 days per week.

21. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks! I think this is a good start me for! :)

22. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    #847 Statler, May 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Congrats to my friend Jason for his first place in Master's class at NPC natural capital classic. His story is pretty inspirational. Kind of guy you'd like to dislike if he weren't so nice and hard working. 42 years old.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #848 NeuroBeaker, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm ~5'9", so not a tall guy. In December 2015, my weight was 228 Ibs and was looking chubby.

I've been dieting with mixed success Jan-May 2016, although only really gotten a handle on it June-now. The last 6-7 weeks have been pretty good.

I tried exercising with hand weights January-February, but started off too quickly and injured some tendons in my left hand. My doctor ordered me to discontinue resistance training for a few months, but I took it back up again in late May 2016 and have kept it up a few times a week since. Attached is a picture of my home setup of thrown-together hand weights and a modest adjustable bench.

I joined a gym a few days ago to get access to leg exercise equipment and cardio machines, such as the crosstrainer and bikes. Just got back from the first session there and am pretty sore. The cardio will be tough getting back into.

Weight this morning was 204.5 Ibs, so I'm making a little progress. My goals are to lose weight from around my middle and generally increase muscle mass. I think a target weight of just under 200 Ibs is reasonable, with a lower fat composition. When I was 18, I was around 180 Ibs and looked pretty skinny.

All the best,
    Andrew.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Nice work Andrew!! Based on your goals, prioritize as follows:

1. Diet
    2. Lifting weights
    3. Cardio

25. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks Lukas! :D

My less than successful dieting January-May was based on portion control, but I hated being hungry all the time and lacked the discipline to stick to it. The diet that seems to work for me is to restrict what I eat, but to eat add much of it as is satisfying. I'm using a calorie and nutrition tracking app to stay on top of that. I'm eating approximately 1800 calories a day and 20-30% is protein. I'm also taking a few vitamins to plug gaps in dietary intake. Rather helpfully, I can track all this stuff the app I'm using (MyFitnessPal).

I'm really enjoying the weights, lifting is physically tough (I'm pushing hard) but mentally therapeutic and it's satisfying to add more weight onto the bars as I get fitter. I'm lifting heavy (for me) weights until failure at around 9-12 reps. When I start being able to lift more than 12, I add more weight for my next session. I'm currently working out with weights at home at least 3 times a week.

I'm thinking of the cardio as a way to accelerate fat loss, but it seems that the combination of dieting and weight training has been pretty good for that already. I have heard that too much cardio can be detrimental for building muscle, although I've not yet found a reliable resource for defining how much cardio is too much. Any suggestions, advice, or links to good resources would be gratefully received. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.