FCA 09 Nationals - PICTURES | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FCA 09 Nationals - PICTURES

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Mar 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 67alloy

67alloy Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    #51 67alloy, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
    Did you know that Sal's is under new ownership? The bartender from Lake Street Cafe has it now...

Are you referring to Jim F? I don't think it is by accident that BBLM's are the featured model. There is ANOTHER that is locally owned as well.

I should point out also that besides the obvious Ferrari content, the local Alfa Romeo Clubs and Fiat/Lancia Unlimited have this event on their calendars, so the town is going to be overrun by Italian sports cars.

If you haven't been to an event at Elkhart Lake, please look at the photos on this link to give you an idea of the ambiance.

http://homepage.mac.com/danielely/PhotoAlbum7.html

2. 67alloy

67alloy Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, that's me, I own Burdie's Nest (www.burdiesnest.com) -which is two doors down from Siebkens-but we are booked for that week! However, we will have a very cool event to announce for that week that should fit in well with the atmosphere. Will keep you posted.

3. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Andreas count me in for coming, in a Red car, but can't say it will be a Ferrari, LOL

4. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu

My sister in law Christine who will also be up in Elkhart that weekend told me about Sal's. I didn't believe her, as she can get her story mixed up sometime but this confirms it. In my prior post I was referring to Jim G, who is not a midwesterner.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

I'd love to see Glick at this, but I kinda doubt he'll come. Jim?

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #56 tifosi12, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #57 tifosi12, Mar 12, 2009
    And here a series of aerial shots. I took them from a helicopter. While they give you an idea of how fantastic and varied the track is, they don't show the elevation changes, which are definitely there.

In sequence:
    - start/finish line and pits
    - first turn
    - infield
    - caroussel
    - kink and Canada corner
    - bridge and final straight
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 67alloy

67alloy Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    Nice photos!

9. TwinOne

TwinOne Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 17, 2005
    Mizar V
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nope, just trying to decide what events to participate in. 308 will be there!

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well of course I expected you to be there. Just like Norbert and Mike Z. But looking at the list of entries so far I get the feeling the 328 has taken the place of the 308. 308s have probably reached the threshold where owners aren't as easily willing to maintain them properly anymore and so they don't make it to shows like these. Kinda like what happend to the GT4. I hope I'm wrong though and dozens of them will show up. :)

11. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    As usual, great pix Andreas!

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #63 tifosi12, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks Skip and I'm very happy you can see them so clearly. :)

On a different note:
    The week of the FCA Nationals is also the week of Oshkosh's airplane show. I just learned that Rutan's White Knight 2 will be there the entire week. So I have to plan for a little field trip during those days.

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/090313-whiteknighttwo-flight-tests.html

Thanks a bunch! Exactly what I was looking for.

13. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Thats the tiki bar and beach at Victorian Village

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True dat. Apologies for my leaky memory.

15. birddog

birddog Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #66 birddog, Mar 18, 2009
    Andreas: Don't tell anyone that the #42 racer that looks sort of like like a Ferrari Dino 206SP is actually a "Causey P6" powered by a *cough* Porsche engine! The author 67Alloy and I had mentioned earlier in this thread - Burt Levy - was driving it during last Fall's Vintage Festival when an oil line broke loose and he spewed oil from turn 5 all the way back to the pits! The thing looks and sounds awesome though. Always one of my favorite cars up there. Also, if you look closely - the Ferrari logos on it are actually the logos from Burt's book "Montezuma's Ferrari", and the cavallino is actually made up of little chili peppers.

Didn't mean to derail the thread - this is just another example of the cool sort of stuff you see and learn about during a weekend up at Road America & Elkhart Lake!

16. 67alloy

67alloy Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    #67 67alloy, Mar 18, 2009
  17. 67alloy

67alloy Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    #68 67alloy, Mar 19, 2009
  18. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #69 Dave Bendl, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    I just received word that Robert Phillips has registered his Pebble Beach award winning 1955 500 Mondial for FCA2009. His 500 Mondial raced at Road America 50 years ago along with many other historic races. His son Bryan posted an f-chat thread on not only the incredible history of the car, but beautifully detailed restoration photos. The painstaking restoration was performed by Robert and Bryan (a father & son project). It is truely a remarkable story so if you have some time, take a look at their thread http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195295&highlight=500+mondial

When Robert purchased the car in 1960, it was in the back of a body shop where painters were using it to clean out their paint guns! It will be a pleasure to see Robert and this very rare and special 4 cylinder Ferrari at this event.

Dave

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    OMG! Seeing just that scene alone is reason enough to come to Road America.

20. 67alloy

67alloy Karting

Jun 11, 2007
    #71 67alloy, Mar 20, 2009
    Just a little orientation for some of our guests who have never been to Elkhart Lake before. It should give a sense of scale as to how everything is within walking distance and where the events will be held.

This photo (taken during the Brian Redman Kohler Vintage Races) is looking south on Lake St. at the location known as "The Hard Left" of the original road course from 1951-1952. See that cottage on the right of the photo? That is the same one shown in the black and white below. It is virtually unchanged. The road course once continued along the lake past the white building in the center. That is now closed and is a public walkway; it's the only alteration to the famous road course.

Immediately to the left of the photo (not shown) is the world famous Siebkens Resort. Another 50 yards to the left is the Stop-Inn tavern, one of the most famous watering holes in motorsport. The place is loaded with racing ephemera; however my favorite artifact is a small newspaper clipping from the Miami Herald recounting a Dario Franchitti victory and his subsequent celebration at the Stop-Inn. Look for it lower right of the dart board in the main tavern.

The white building in the center of the photo is part of the Osthoff resort, the FCA host hotel. The greenspace in front will host the concours. It is right on the water. The crystal clear lake is just behind the trees on the right of the photo.

Victorian Village and the Tiki Bar are behind the photographer by about 75 yards.

Hope this helps some to get their bearings...

21. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    50 yards to the Stop-Inn and 75 to the Tiki bar. Got it. :)

It is important to know these places. I bumped into Chuck Yeager once and he asked me for the shortest way to the bar. I was proud to lead him there. :)

22. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Whisky is a good thing =)

23. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    #74 Imola82, Mar 20, 2009
  24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for the shots. Since you're subscribed we can hope to see many more in the future. :)