[FCA] 2nd Annual Fiesta Ferrari in San Antonio April 16-18th, 2004... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

[FCA] 2nd Annual Fiesta Ferrari in San Antonio April 16-18th, 2004...

Discussion in 'Texas' started by rob lay, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Note from Al about the rooms...

Hi Everyone,

as I had cautioned, the Westin La Cantera is now 'fully booked'. However, if you have members who want to attend and have not yet secured their room, there is/are some solutions to the problem.

1. Have them call the Westin and get themselves put on the waiting list for rooms. It is Westin policy to release all unused rooms reserved in a block, one month before an event. This means that on March 16th they will make available, all 'reserved' rooms that have not been actually paid for. It is very likely that rooms will come available at that time that our members can then get access to.

2. As a safety back-up, have them also make a reservation at one of the alternative hotels that are described on the exel attachment. this will ensure that they do have a room if they fail to clear the waiting list at the Westin. The Omni is the classiest of the bunch; the Drury and Comfort Inn are the best of the rest.

3. Obviously, when they clear the Westin wait list, they then need to cancel the reservation that they made at the alternative back-up.

Al

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Rob, do you have a copy of the Excel spreadsheet w/ the alternative hotels? I'm on the cancellation list at the Westin (#6), but I think I better have a plan B.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm going to email out to the DFW list this week. Hopefully tonight, but no promises.

4. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    As of today, the Westin is still sold out and 'No openings have become available'. I'm booked at the luxurious Rodeway Inn.

5. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Gosh - I live right down the road but will be out of town that weekend. It would have been nice to meet everyone.

6. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    is there a place i can come out and see the cars? i saw on last years rally you all went through Luckenbach(sp?) great roads up there...

where does it start and what not...

it says must be a FCOAmer member to go (which i am not...) but id still like to see the cars and what not... '

does the rally start at Barret Jag/Ferrari??

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It will be hard to predict where the rally goes and what time. However, Sunday mid morning you can be guaranteed to see a few Ferraris at the show.

8. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    rob328gts It will be hard to predict where the rally goes and what time. However, Sunday mid morning you can be guaranteed to see a few Ferraris at the show.

where is this show?

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Pics and stories will be posted shortly. What a great weekend, even without Piero. ;)

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Great weekend! Started with Colin (vlamgat) and I leaving Las Colinas about noon Friday. Pretty easy drive, except some traffic on 35E before the merge and then in Austin. Colin brought 2 way radios, so that was fun planning our moves through traffic. We stopped for gas about 15 miles the other side of Austin and then finished the trip to the Westin La Cantera. This place is beautiful, up on a hill overlooking San Antonio and Fiesta Texas/Sea World.

Jennie arrived soon after me as she flew down and then we started gathering outside for the cocktails, dinner, and silent auction. I think we called it the night a little before 11.

There were 40 "groups" of people attending, many brought multiple Ferraris, so I think the car count was a little higher than that. Total number of people was 80 or more. Some of the FC users in attendance (several more, but I didn't get to meet everyone)...

Maranelloman
    348spy
    Jimpo1
    vlamgat
    Joe Foster (username?)
    Dr. Tax
    Mark McKenzie (username?, red something...)
    Dana Gribi

any others I didn't get?

First thing Saturday morning we all met over at Ferrari & Maserati of San Antonio for the Rally. There were two tech session, one on participating in track days and the next was about concours preparation. We were all waved off at one minute intervals starting at 9:30. The rally lasted almost 3 hours. Awesome awesome awesome driving back through the hill country around San Antonio. For those that don't know, you are given directions to the tenth of a mile, but you have to answer questions between the segments. Most can be answered by looking at road side signs. Quite fun, but pretty intense if you take it seriously.

The rally ended up at a winery out in the hills somewhere far from San Antonio. We enjoyed a great meal and then started heading back to the hotel. I slept a couple hours in the afternoon while others drove around more or enjoyed the amusement parks.

6:30pm we gathered at the busses and were taken down to the Little Rhein Steak House on the Riverwalk. Great food and many drinks later we had a tour by boat of the river. About 10:30 we headed back to the hotel and some of us enjoyed the hotel bar until midnight or so.

First thing Sunday morning we arranged the cars for the concours. Judging finished about 11am and then we had lunch and the awards starting at noon. To the surprise of Jennie and I we got 2nd place on the rally with a little under 40 teams competing. Maranelloman and Dawn took 1st place and I think Jim took 5th!

Stuart Robinson and Mr. Barrett honored us with their appearance. I also don't want to forget the silent auction Friday and the show Sunday was all for Make A Wish Foundation. At last count there was over $4,000 raised with more coming in.

A great weekend! Next year the 3rd annual South Central FCA meet will be held in Houston. Plan ahead as this year filled up by the end and next year will fill up faster. Jennie and I will be back, this is one of our favorite events.

On the way back we took 281, which had very little traffic and great roads. The actual distance was within 10-15 miles of what it was from Las Colinas to San Antonio on 35.

Enjoy the pics, everyone else post your pics and stories too.

11. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Rob is right---it was an EPIC weekend!! Great to see everyone, and great to meet new folks like fellow track junkie Colin!!

Great pictures, Rob...but where's the one with the FC Race Team???

;-)

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Dang, I knew I forgot to post one.

Saturday for the rally it was really funny, without even planning ahead, Jano, Dave, and I all had the FC Race Team shirts on. :)

13. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#38 maranelloman, Apr 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmmm.... I smell a fix.

15. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Hmmm, I smell 4 flat tires on Dr. Tax's Maranello...

;-)

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Or, we could just take the Little Horsey valve caps!!! LOL!

17. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Oooh, that's a 1 point Concorso deduction!!!

;-)

18. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Damn Rob, where do you find the time? It was nearly 9pm when I got home last night and I went straight to bed. I'll try to post my pics tonight.

I might have only got 5th place, but I got the 'Exotic Don at Stud' question right! Did ANYONE get the pastry question?

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Pastry place went out of business, so that one didn't count along with one more I think.

I still can't figure out how Jennie and I got 2nd, we thought we missed 6 total, but with 2 thrown out and educated guesses on the others maybe we did OK.

How many did you guess on the wagon wheels? It was hard to see, but there were 2 along the bottom behind some bushes, so 4 total. Maybe everyone got it, I just thought it was tricky.

20. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

We got that question right, too, Stud Boy..

Nope, missed the pastry question entirely.

21. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    4 Wheels was right, that's what we got too. I'm also curious as to what answer they were looking for on the 'at the foot of the ... estates' question. The only thing I saw there was a rock gate. And what were those antelope things on one of the last signs? Impalas? Springboks?

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We just called them antelopes and listed the three or four things we saw at the foot.

23. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

4 wagon wheels.

Elk/antelopes/jackalopes/whatever.... ;-)

Bottom of entry was was creek bed also...

24. vlamgat

vlamgat Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Nah - we are letting Tubi's in now why not horsey caps if you can persuade the dealer to give you at least a cent credit for them when they deliver the car ... but no RICE.

On the way back - and I did not follow Rob on 281 to my eternal loss, so got caught for another 30 minutes in Austin. However I got behind a Tahoe who had it floored. He was hitting 110 in places. So the big 12 behind me was bellowing at 3800 rpm ...

25. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Sweet.. Yeah, 281 is THE way to go, Colin. That's the way we came & went from Austin...

Good to meet you! Hope to see you at MSR!!

-Dave