FCA Nationals - Pictures | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FCA Nationals - Pictures

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by tifosi12, Apr 9, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Great pics, but I'm still waiting for some great shots of Dave's, John's and your car. Great as in calendar material.

2. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #28 norbert, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The three judges for Boxers (365BB, 512BB, and 512BBI) were Dick Fritz, Mike Dunn and Jim Walters. DIck Fritz worked for Luigi Chinetti at one time. He was one of the people responsible for bringing the "all gray market" Boxers to the US. (None of these cars were officially imported by Ferrari in Italy to the US. They were all brought in individually and had emmission upgrades to meet federal standards.) Dick Fritz is thee authority here in the US for the Ferrari Boxer line.

The three judges made a very fast walk around of the 4 Boxers that were to be judged. They began with the yellow 365BB and than came to Dave's car. First Dave made mention of a few details concerning his Boxer to the judges that he knew were factory correct and had supporting documentation if that was wanted by the judges. The judges had their individual inspection duties with each of them doing a general inspection of the car also. The photos when viewed, may make it appear that the judges were just milling around, but it was far from that.

The photos shown after the Concours judging in the back of the hotel are those of the Copa Bella Machina judging.
    The following is the text from the FCA web site explaining this award and its judging standards"

"The Coppa Bella Machina is a competion unique to the Ferrari Club of America based on the complete 100% operation of a vehicle. This is phase II in the step towards the top award in the FCA, the Coppa GT, and can only be attempted upon successful attainment of a Platinum Level award in the FCA concours. Only current Annual Meet Platinum award winning cars are eligible. This is an hour-long session testing every operational function of a vehicle from the driving operation, down to the cigar lighter (if so equipped). This unique contest is based on a 100% pass/fail worksheet, and if one item fails the contest is over. This is yet another notch in the belt of an award winning car and highlights the "Ferraris were meant to be driven" attitude of the club. You can be assured that a Coppa Bella Machina award winner is a fully operational machine."

Norbert
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #29 norbert, Sep 5, 2007
    When the Boxer was being detailed on the day before the Concours, I noticed how great the shine was on the car when I took the first photo shown here - the rear bonnet. Than I moved to the front of the car and took the second photo of myself using the front bonnet as a mirror. On the day of the Concours, I was positioning Dave for a photo of himself using the front bonnet again as a mirror. Just than the Pirelli models came by and we asked them to pose for a reflective shot. When positioning them we noticed how we had 5 models in the reflection when there were only three models. Here is a photo of the "five" and than the actual three of them.

Norbert

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    THANK GOD NORBY; at first I thought Davey had an image of you airbrushed on his bonnet!

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Next year's Nationals will be in Toronto. Sounds close enough to drive there. :)

6. LP400S

LP400S Formula 3

May 18, 2002
    West Coast
    I was just looking for some pix of the event and found these. Great write up and photos!!!

Dave ,
    Way to go with the awards!!! Nice to see you drove the car there and still had no problem taking home Platinum. Yes Dick Fritz is THE Boxer expert. I met him when he judged my car in Monterey last year. Very nice guy and of course knows these cars inside out.

7. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Dave, nice jack bag!!

8. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    It sure is Gene!

Dave, can we have more pics of it? ;)

9. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Nice pics !

That yellow Boxer is my dads. The car didnt pass the first round :D

10. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    We still have more photos to post for the subject events, but it will be a few days because of business needs. (Dave I know you called us this afternoon and we were eating chicken wings at a local bar, but we have to take a break too!!!) (Andreas, may be next year, and you can take the photos.)

Please check back.

Norbert

11. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Andrew,
    I saw your Dad's car, and it appeared to be a nice 365BB example, but I'm not that knowledgeable on 365BB's. What was incorrect that it didn't score?
    Dave

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Hi Dave,

I dont know yet , he called me on saturday from the track to tell me it didnt pass the first round but then he had to hang up as his group was being called on the track. I will ask him why the car wasnt good enough.

Its an unrestored car with 5000 kms that he bought last summer. I havent had the chance to see it in person yet .

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Thanks for the pics. It was the first National Meet I missed since 1998. Football season opened that same weekend and I couldn't get a flight out of there in time. Had to make the tough decision.

When and where is it next year?

14. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel

Toronto, Canada July 9-13

Norbert

15. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    It's a really nice, looking car. Apparently the judges found something incorrect otherwise it would have done well. There was another yellow 365BB next to your Dad's car that was on display. I heard that it was the first 365BB imported by Amerispec.
    Dave

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Seriously, Canada? I thought the FCA was just a USA thing. At least those are dates that I can make.

17. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    You missed a good one!
    Next year is Toronto, Canada in July.
    Dave

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Is that the weekend of the Canadian GP too?

19. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Canadian GP is shown as provisional for the 8th of June on the list I have. It has been a June race for the past few years.

Norbert

20. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    There is no GP race scheduled at the moment for that weekend.

Norbert

21. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    #47 JohnnyS, Sep 17, 2007
  22. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #48 norbert, Sep 18, 2007
    Well, with the weather really co-operating, everyone was up for the Rally. Breakfast, the drive, lunch for us at the track as the winery ran out of grub because of a late head count - who cares. The first few questions for the Rally contest must have been three feet out of the lot as Dave and I missed everything landmark for the first four questions on the Rally. When we drove the "The Glen's" Old Track as a part of the Rally, we understood what a great event this must have been in the old days. It is just the road around the area. Some of the corners were like when we were kids on a blind road in the country. Crowned road - down hill, sharp curve - many racers must have ended up in the trees and brush. A lot of cars at the track (new track). I was very impressed with Dennis Lu's driving (old FerrariList member.) Keep it up Dennis - and can he ever eat posta!!

23. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #49 norbert, Sep 18, 2007
    The Awards banquet on Saturaday night was at the Air Museum at the Elmira, NY Airport. (It was exactly 40 years to the month that I was last in Elmira, NY at the old Westinghouse, Electric Co. Electronic Tube Division plant on an assignment- memories and the GP at Watkins Glen was run while I was there that month too.) We were the first car there, but couldn't get a shot of the 308 alone as another car arrived within a second or two. Dave saw the B-26 Marauder immediately sitting in the grass off the tarmak. He said he had a feeling he should have driven his Boxer as he wished that he could have taken a picture of his Ferrari with the Marauder as his Dad was in the Army Airforce during WWII with one of these planes. I offered to let him drive the 308 back to bring back the Boxer, but he knew the light was leaving us for any photos. So I took the two photos with him and the plane pictured. It was a quiet moment for both of us.

Guys, try to make the nationals if at all possible. They are all great memories, and an opportunity to meet new and lasting friends. What is more important in live that that??