FChat Completed Models and WIP Thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

FChat Completed Models and WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by zoRob, May 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    #126 zoRob, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Come on guys, play nicely. Both your opinions are valued! Now somebody hurry up and finish something and post some pics to get this back on track :D

Latsyrc this is Ferrarichat so when you have finished those you are contractually obliged to build a Ferrari :)

Ps Here are some pics of an FXX i have started, its a long term one and ive done a lot more this weekend since the pictures were taken. I didnt bother filling the holes in the back of the seats as they will not be visible in case anybody has noticed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dino Scuderia

Dino Scuderia Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Excellent finishes, zoRob!

3. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Thanks :) If the rest of it turns out like that i will be very happy, but i have a feeling it wont. I am using the Crazy Modeler set which means a bit of cutting and chopping of the kit parts which i am not used to and i am learning how to use the Carbon Fiber for the first time, i am dreading doing the rear diffuser :eek: Microsol/Microset is a godsend though.

4. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    LOL! Point taken. :) I'll finish these in a couple weeks and try to find a Ferrari racer to do, probably an F1 car. Your FXX looks great! Nice work on the carbon fiber. I can't believe what a difference the Microset/sol makes, too.

5. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Thanks, post some pics when you start.

6. nniemi

nniemi Karting

Sep 28, 2004
    Turku, Finland
    Full Name:
    Niko Niemi
    #131 nniemi, Jun 23, 2009
  7. Dino Scuderia

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Great job on the Elephant!

8. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Nice :cool:

9. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #134 Latsyrc, Jun 25, 2009
    I took a few days off but finished the R10. It turned out ok but I had a few mistakes with paint...and the lack of dryness therein. :p I had to patch up some of the gray decal area with paint, but when it dried it was much darker. I did my best to fix it but it wasn't enough on some parts. Oh well, live and learn and build another model. Here's some pics of the finish. I am waiting, as per the advice on the board, to polish it for a couple weeks. My 959 body is primed, sanded, and almost ready for paint. Pics of that to follow. :)

EDIT: This really is a bad kit, but it's one of my all time favorite cars. I wish I could have gotten the fitting better but I just go sick of trying. :)

10. Dino Scuderia

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    The poor fitting rear cowling is common with these kits....you basically have to heat the cowl and reform it before building.

Overall you did a very good job!

11. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Looks good, I had real trouble with the cover on the F1 car I built.

12. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Thanks for the compliments. :) Overall I'm happy with it. The darker paint on the front was caused when some of black/gray dripped through when I was doing the undercarriage. In the future, I'll paint that before doing the other work.

I heated the cover up with a blow dryer, then bent it over a dowel for a while with books on the sides to bend it, but it still wouldnt go far enough. Amazingly, it's a lot better than it was...and I mean A LOT better. :)

The 959 paint started out nice but i found a couple of cat hairs ont he body when I started the 3rd coat. :( By then I was tired anyway, so I'll sand that down and repaint tonight. It amazes me the places I find that cat's hair these days.

13. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #138 Latsyrc, Jun 30, 2009
  14. Dino Scuderia

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Soon you'll realize you can buy them waaaaaaay faster than you can build them.

15. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    +1! I have bought tons of kits, and can't build them at anywhere near the rate I buy them!

16. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Lol, luckily the shop I go to is about 40 min away. This deters me from going too often. :) I try not to have more than two to work on. If I only have 1, I tend to put it off. If I have a 2nd one, I get excited to start so I finish the one I'm on. :)

17. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    #142 zoRob, Jul 1, 2009
    Thats a cool kit, i have it in the 'stash' :)

Speaking of F40s i have just finished this F40. I started it about 6 months ago so it was painted before i got my airbrush, hence the crap paint job. Funnily enough it was also the first car i used PE and seatbelts on.

18. Dino Scuderia

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    Looks great!

IMO that's the best plastic F40 kit.

19. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Thanks, i did miss a few of the little PE parts off as i knew i would only make a mess trying to add them. It went together very will though but i did manage to make a right mess of the rear wing :)

20. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Really? I always thought that the Tamiya kit would be superior to the Fujimi?

21. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    That's very cool! I'm excited to start mine after the 959. I'm trying to get more experience in adding details, but there just aren't very many good pictures of the engine bay, etc of the 959. I know there are tons for the F40 so that will be cool. :)

22. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
  23. Dino Scuderia

Sep 7, 2005
    Southeast US
    #148 Dino Scuderia, Jul 1, 2009
  24. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Nice.

25. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I am so jealous of you building ability! You have to be one of my favorite builders!