FChat NE polo shirts. Interested? | FerrariChat

FChat NE polo shirts. Interested?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Birdman, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey Everyone,
    I was thinking about Doody's idea for shirts so we Fchatters can find each other at events. I have a friend that runs a small embroidery shop and she can get us a good price on small quantities of embroidered shirts. I was thinking about polo shirts (a bit classier than t-shirts) although technically, we could each pick any shirt we wanted from an on-line catalog and then I could orchestrate having the whole batch of different shirts embroidered with the logo. So all we need is a logo. I'm no graphic designer but I worked on a logo idea. Anyone have comments/suggestions? Anyone interested?

Birdman

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    About the F40 on the logo...rather than use a 308 and play favorites, I chose a car none of us has (to my knowledge) but all of us wants!!

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    SUPER idea. count me in. great first pass on a design - though hopefully someone here could help finesse it along.

i'd vote for a modern car - an enzo. maybe an F50 even. the F40 is FINE but it's rather dated, relatively speaking.

doody.

4. 288_GTO

288_GTO Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dudes, Doody's right. F40 on T-shirt is dated. F40 in real life is "timeless" but on a Fruit of the Loom...... I'm thinking, carnival prize gone wrong. I'd put a

FerrariChat.com
    New England
    (on front)

STAFF
    (on back)

Just a thought......keep em comin'

M.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The shirts gotta have a pocket (I need it for my glasses).

Of course I'd prefer a 308(heheh).

6. drewwtms

drewwtms Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    North Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    D. Drew Ingram
    I'd buy one.

Instead of a car how about a logo? Like the 360CS stripes? Or if it had to be a car I would say, 360CS or 575GTC.

Drew

7. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Sounds good to me.

How about having two types of F-cars on the shirt?? Something from the vintage "Enzo era" and something new and recent.

Papa G

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    OK, an Enzo is cool. I would prefer to stay away from models that people here actually own (308, Testarossa, 360, 355, etc.) that way we don't play favorites! Anyone who wants an Enzo on the shirt has to find me a nice line-art graphic of an Enzo. Get on it!! I found the F40 and it was a lot of work to find one that was big enough to use (Geez, I really though you guys would dig an F40). I welcome assistance with this. We could skip the car altogether and just use a Scuderia Ferrari "sheild" logo. Anyone got one of those in a line art graphic? (I could probably create a line art from one of those in photoshop if someone had a good clean scan of one). Hopefully we won't make enough that they will sue us! The thing is, to do these as classy embroidered shirts, you need to keep the colors to a minimum or they can get pretty darned expensive. If you have artwork, PM me and I'll give you my e-mail address. We can keep hashing out the design here until every is reasonably happy then go for it.

Birdman

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i believe that'd be problematic in that that's a trademark and we don't have permission to use it. an outline of an enzo though, while perhaps design-patented, is less of an issue. and there's a reason rob's FerrariChat.com logo-graphic up there at the top of the page isn't in the factory typeface - need to avoid that.

lovely.

doody.

10. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm in regardless of design

and although Doody is correct about the shield infringement, I doubt a small batch of shirts will bring the wrath of Ferrari Spa down on us :)

-Michael

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    also don't forget to make sure rob is kosher with it ;)

never mind the wrath of FNA - you don't want a good ole texas boy like rob on your case!

:)

doody.

12. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    do a Ferrari on ebay and look at the tons of crap with logos. No way Jose all that stuff is licensed. The last thing you'd need to worry about with a run of a small bunch of shirts is shield infringement etc. If ya can make it for the masses(to great profit) without being chased for infringement, what's the concern ?

Kenny

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Everyone,
    I gave a lot of thought to the issue of copyright and I decided that (like Kenny said) for a dozen shirts for a couple guys, I doubt Ferrari would care. However, I did make up a neat logo for Rob that looks like the one on the shirt and he said he couldn't use it for fear of getting in trouble with Ferrari for the type font. But that is the whole site, not a dozen t-shirts. Anyway, if you guys think the Ferrari copyright infringement is an issue, we can make it generic. However, I would expect that they would get just as PO'd about an Enzo outline (or a 360 or a 308 or any Ferrari) as the font!

Don't want to get in trouble with Rob. Hey Rob, ya out there? You mind if we make some FChat NE shirts for our loyal bunch here in the northeast??? How about if we bribe you with one?

Anyone found me an Enzo graphic yet?

Birdman

14. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    #14 dan360, May 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well I'll buy two. Lisa was most disappointed not to have any F-branded stuff at the NH weekend!

I had a quick search and couldn't find an stick image of an Enzo :-(

How about a stylized version of :->
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. drewwtms

drewwtms Rookie

Apr 26, 2004
    North Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    D. Drew Ingram
    #15 drewwtms, May 21, 2004
  16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Ok all,
    I give up on an Enzo. Can't find a simple drawing. But I kinda like this design. Whatcha think?

Birdman

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I want a shirt, but none of the presented ideas click.

If you're going to embroider, the best idea is to find or make an image in Illustrator; essentially it has to be 'line art.'

I'll take a shot at some designs, if people can wait a few days.

18. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#18 dm_n_stuff, May 22, 2004
    Hey guys.

I spent some time last month designing a logo for the ROE in NY.

I can assure you that Ferrari cares about its logo, typeface and prancing horse.

I contacted Ferrari NA and was told in no uncertain terms to leave the logo alone, and not to use the typeface, or the word "Ferrari" on any item of clothing. And this was for a charity event.

FILA has unlimted rights to it, and they, along with Ferrari, will make life unpleasant if they want to protecting that right.

Probably a very small risk involved, but still, why risk it.

How about something like this?

Dave

19. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Birdman, the Cavallino on the outline of the New England States is actually pretty close to the logo of the FCA/New England Region. The club has a bunch of regalia with that logo available for sale. If you still want to use it for the FChat logo, I can hook you up with the shop that does the club's embroidery, and you'll save on the set-up cost. (Though I suspect that you might have to prove to them that you're an authorized user of the logo; lots of shops now require proof of a license for use of trademarks, to avoid an infringement suit themselves.)

vty,

--Dennis

20. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Here's a first proposal. I tried to cut down the number of colors in order to make it embroidery-like. Obviously some of the 'shine' effect is just to show a glossy thread. No cavallino or Ferrari logotype breaching copyright; no map to distinguish from the FCA logos.

If anyone would like to see a different car or lighthouse on the shirt, post a link to the pic (or put it here). My first choice is the Enzo; the only other I'd really go for would be the 360CS... but the Enzo is nice and bold.

This is the 'quick 'n dirty' version. If approved for a "commission" to do the shirt I'd be happy to spend some time to produce a professional product.

21. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ryan - that's really impressive!

how many colors of thread does that work out to?

birdman - trademark law is nasty stuff. if someone is aware of an infringement they MUST react. they have NO choice if they want to protect their mark. and undoubtedly, part of the authorized dealer agreement with FNA is the notification of FNA of any known trademark or copyright violation of FNA or its parent's IP (this is standard language in licensing agreements, so i assume FNA has it in the licensing agreements between it and their authorized dealers). so if the guys at FoNE or Miller or FoLI or WWOC or wherever see infringement, they're legally bound to report it to FNA. and once reported FNA has no choice but to stomp with two feet.

FNA and FSpA don't behave aggressively against license infringors (sp) arbitrarily - the laws require a response - otherwise they risk losing their protection entirely - and since Ferrari is one of the most recognized brands on planet earth, that's obviously not something they're going to want to mess with.

do as you please - i'll buy one either way - but realize that there are potential risks involved. a solution like ryan's is far safer (and frankly, prettier!).

doody.

22. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Domo Doody-san. I don't know - there's probably about 10-12 colors in that as it is; but I didn't try and color it with exceptional effort and just used a few filters to cut down the color.

I think I could cut that graphic down to 6-8 thread colors if necessary. But I didn't want to put *too* much effort into it until we had a consensual direction for the design.

Birdman: can you contact your friend and find out the specs on her embroidery equipment - ie. how many colors can be done, what resolution, how big of an area, what image file type to use, etc. and any other technical considerations.

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I was trying to keep it really simple because I didn't think something that complicated could be done at a reasonable cost or at all. If it can, that's fine with me. I'm perfectly happy to leave the Ferrari logo out of the design if everyone wants. It just lacks a true "Ferrari" look without the font or a cavalino or something. I'm quite certain that if they would get upset about the font use, they would also get upset about the use of the likeness of an Enzo. That being said, I like the logo ryalex has done, but I would prefer a pic of an Enzo with the doors closed so it looks cleaner. If we can use a photo as he has done in the logo, there are 10 zillion shots of Enzos to choose from.

I'll check on the colors and get back to you.

See you guys tomorrow hopefully!

Birdman

24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    The NY Tri-state boys are also trying to come up with a polo, thinking that they can beat the look of our NE Polo!

We shall see...

BTW, if anyone can help me find a hi-res Enzo pic, doors closed and facing forward at a *slight* angle (like the one I used in the sample), I'll get to work on that. I'm stuck with just dial-up for the next couple of weeks and searching around the board for big graphics is rather tiresome.

When we get a good pic and the specs on thread colors, I'll redo the Enzo by hand.

25. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    What about a yellow one?

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=a.lemeunier.free.fr/images/ferrari%2520enzo%2520jaune%2520avant.jpg&imgrefurl=http://a.lemeunier.free.fr/prefere.html&h=1200&w=1600&sz=255&tbnid=IusalXj1tZ4J:&tbnh=112&tbnw=149&start=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3DFerrari%2BEnzo%26start%3D80%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN

Man that's a long URL. Not sure if that will work as a link but try it.

Too bad I didn't this of this earlier. There was an Enzo at the show today and I could've shot any angle! Damn! Here's what I do have (can send as a larger file.