FChat NE polo shirts. Interested? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

FChat NE polo shirts. Interested?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Birdman, May 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I just went and checked out their thread. They are trying to outdo us! No way, ours is going to be better. I'm still waiting to hear back on the possibility of using Ryan's super-complicated design. Ryan, if that is too complicated, can we cut down the number of colors even more? (And lose the "shine" on the letters to make them simpler too).

I like the lighthouse. It says "New England" without resorting to a map. Nice touch.

Birdman

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thanks for the lead on the pics. I'll download them later tonight and take a look.

I can get it down to as few colors as we want... I was thinking I could do a nice Enzo with just gloss black, two red tones and silver for the lights/windshield.

Silver for the band, gloss black for the letters. The shine on the letters and the silver was just to show it's glossy thread.

For a lighthouse part we'd use the gloss black, white (or just the silver), 2 blues, and 2 brown shades.

So theoretically:
    Black
    Silver
    2 reds
    2 blues
    2 browns
    White?

So 8 to 9 shades and it would be great. I could cut the Enzo down to one red and the rocks to one brown and still be ok, but not ideal. When you're wearing it stepping out of a Ferrari, I don't think we should "cheap out" ... I'd pay more for a great-looking shirt than save $10 for simplicity. Especially when we have those Yankees fans to show up.

The final graphic sent to the embroiderer would be all regular colors. If it's a newer system, a computer will take the graphic and automatically turn it into a thread pattern and the computer goes to work on the shirts. This is what we had back in college, it was a Swiss machine and software that I think retailed for like $4k for the setup.

I had an idea - and I'll say that I don't know if even I'd go for it - but was wondering if you could ask how much it would be per character to get our screen names custom embroidered (in black or silver) on the left arm above the cuff.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'll check that out.

Meanwhile, thanks for the work on it. Hopefully we can make it work! Gotta show up those New Yorkers. Yankees suck!

Birdman

7. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Here's a relatively quick sample I what I was describing in reducing the Enzo by hand - this is only silver, black, 3 reds and the yellow used in the lighthouse portion. Thanks Birdman, I think I'll use that yellow one and just change it to red for the badge.

EDIT: I was just looking at the website for a wholesaler/embroiderer and they had no limit to the colors listed and the price was by stitch count only, although we'll have to see what's 'do-able.'

8. Capt

Capt Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    North of Boston
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think that version is pretty damn good!

-Michael

9. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ryalex - that looks sweet! nice work! i have two comments for you: (1) are you sure about the highlights on the hood? (2) the way the gray circle intersects with the gray window of the car looks a bit off - but you probably would have to be an anal-retentive wacko like myself to notice, never mind care ;).

doody

10. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Oh, don't worry, when it comes to design I AM an anal-retentive whacko, but this is just a mock-up.

I didn't bother removing the reflections, but from the pic I used that's where they were. If it turns out we can use many colors, I'll probably do 3-4 shades of red on the car to show more depth.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That looks kick a$$!

Still waiting to hear what they say about the colors. I sent the previous design over to the embroidery place to get some feedback. If I don't hear back shortly, I'll call.

If that's the mockup, I can hardly wait to see the real thing. Even with only 1 shade of red it looks good. A couple shades for more depth will be really cool.

Birdman

12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi All,
    My embroidery person says this design is too complicated. She is going to work on it to see what she can come up with. If what she comes up with doesn't work, we can investigate other embroidery places.

Birdman

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fwiw, i've had the folks at ll bean corporate sales do some great, non-trivial embroidery work. this is all about computer software, these days. the ll bean folks work by "number of stitches" more so than number of thread colors. though i can believe the machine has a limited number of spools of thread that can go on it. long-story-long, you might contact ll bean corporate sales - they're good people.

doody.

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    This is too funny. I swear I had no input into this. I sent the graphic with the Enzo and here is the response I got back:

Hi Jonathan,
    Here is my rework of the graphic you sent earlier. As I mentioned the
    stylized graphic would not really work with embroidery.

I also used a classic version of a Ferrari. When creating logos you want
    people to be able to easily recognize the different aspects of your
    group.

Let me know what you think of the rework.
    Deb

And she attached this:

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    So here's what I'm thinking....Ryan, can you take the general "simplicity" of her design (because we know she can embroider that) and make yours (which is far better) "simpler" like hers?

Not sure how large of a graphic we will need, but certainly larger than we are posting here. Looks like we're just about there.

Birdman

P.S. I swear I didn't tell her to use an F40!

16. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ryan - and switch it back to an enzo, please!

she's the embroiderer, not the designer :)

i would imagine that ll bean has some of the most advanced equipment out there. i like ryan's initial design MUCH better than this suggested one. the composition is much more interesting, and isn't all about the car, but rather the marriage of "ferrari" and "new england" which is the whole point - not just the car.

doody.

17. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    agreed, the Enzo :)

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That's what I said. To simplify Ryan's design. With the Enzo. I thought that was clear.

I would like to ask you all (i.e. Doody!) to remember that we are talking about an embroidered logo here. Even if they could reproduce it with every color of the RGB gammut, it will not look like the jpeg file. It is stitched, not silkscreened, and lacks fine details and shading. The "reflections" for example on Ryan's lettering are probably not going to look good in embroidery, even though they look great on the computer monitor. Deb, who is a friend of mine, is using her considerable experience as a person that does embroidery for a living to tell us how to make it look good in STITCH not on a computer screen. Plain block letters might look boring on the monitor but they will look clear and crisp in an embroidered pattern. This is a case where too much detail can clutter up the image.

Don't get me wrong, I want it flashy like everyone else (gotta kick some NY butt) but I want the end result to be nice, not just the design on paper. I think we might want to heed the advice of an expert here and work towards something that will "pop" in stitch.

Birdman

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    errr... uh... I don't know what to say about that other one...

Well, I'll go in to full gear and tomorrow I'll call around and email out a version of my latest to LL Bean and some other co's.

I have mentioned three times already -even before my first iteration- that the reflections on the lettering and on the silver band are ONLY SHOWN TO YOU TO ILLUSTRATE A GLOSSY THREAD AND WILL NOT BE IN THE FILE SENT TO THE EMBROIDERER. In my master photoshop file they are flat shades for color-coding. I'm sorry to get a little frustrated with this but I have *some* concept of what they need to process from.

20. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Sorry, I guess I misunderstood that all three times. If it's not going to be in the file then it would probably be better to remove it from the image so we can see more realistically what it will look like without it. Shiny thread is probably not going to look that cool. However, I'm just using that as an EXAMPLE. If you look at the (admittedly crappy) logo done by the designer, I'm just pointing out that she has made non-essential things not as sharp so that the essential things (the car, the letters) stand out. Fine details (such as the rocks behind the car) can be less distinct so the important stuff stands out.

I'm at the point that if someone else wants to take over and hand this off to another embroidery place, I'll happily relinquish responsibility. This started out as a simple logo on shirts so we can recognize each other at car shows. Design-by-committee (via chat no less!) is a guarantee that there is no way everyone will agree on the design.

Birdman

21. nzo4re

nzo4re Karting

Mar 13, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Lassen
    Has anyone taken a look at what the NY Tri State guys are doing?
    Wouldn't want to copy them, but I like the track they're on. Simple, clean, easy to produce.

22. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Maybe we sould come up with a design that all the regoins who want one could use, with of course sublte regoinal differences, so that we could wear them at various Ferrari functions and be able to spot each other.

I'm the guy working on the Tri-state logo. I did offer to work with you guys if you wanted.

Offer still stands, in as much as I'm not in either region, maybe we'll use something similar in the Mid-Atlantic region, too.

23. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    dm-
    Thanks for the offer. At this point we have a design that everyone mostly likes (I think), so it's just a matter of getting it to a state that can be embroidered.

All-
    FYI, the cost of the embroidery is independent of the number of colors and she can do up to 15 colors. The different costs of the shirts are what affects the price. I honestly believe that my contact will give us a much more competitive price than elsewhere, but I'll go with whatever the group wants to do in terms of where we have it done.

Ryan, got anything yet? Can you do your design justice in 15 colors?

Birdman

24. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ryan's last design fits within 15 colors. in fact you might have a few left over - more reds for the car!

doody.

25. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I wasn't sure if the "final" design would also be the same number of colors as the "rough" design, but I guess there is no reason why not. I agree that another shade or two of red if we have them would help the look of the Enzo. Ryan, whenever you have a chance to do the "final" design, send it to me and I'll get a final quote on the price. Also, if someone else wants to take the design for another quote elsewhere, doesn't hurt to shop around.

Birdman