Fear not the seat pot (potentiometer) How to rebuild one without removing it. | FerrariChat

Fear not the seat pot (potentiometer) How to rebuild one without removing it.

Discussion in '348/355' started by roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yesterday, it happened. Went to put the top down and only the driver's seat moved forward. Passenger seat just sat there. The odd thing was that the top actually started to come down, but would have run into the passenger seat, had I kept going. In my case, I could still move the passenger seat with the seat switch.

Dollar signs swirled in my head.

FerrariChat to the rescue. It turns out that you can diagnose and repair a seat potentiometer failure for about $3.50 and get it all done in less than 2 hours. No trip to the dealer needed for re-calibration (in my case and many others).

What was going on in my case: I had a bad seat potentiometer. (breaking it down for those who are new to the subject). They're very small black boxes located one under each seat, which tell the car the position of the seat. They let the car know when the seat is far enough forward to clear the convertible top as it comes down, and also stop the seat motor when the seat reaches the forward limit of its travel, before the seat mechanically binds at the end of the rails.

To test mine, I motored it to the forward position. My seat switches were still functioning, but for those who don't have working switches, the seat can be powered by applying voltage directly to the motor. Once in the forward position, I turned off the key, un-plugged the connector for the seat potentiometer (just under the front of the seat) measured the resistance between each of the three wires pink to yellow, pink to brown and yellow to brown. Then plugged everything back in, turned the key on and motored the seat to the full back position, turned the key off, unplugged the seat pot connector and measured again. Same reading. This is the classic failure mode for a seat pot. The seat moves but the resistance from the potentiometer doesn't change.

Once I had sorted out that I had a failed seat pot, I set about rebuilding it. Using the technique described above for testing the pot, I racked the seat back, removed the front bolts. Then ran it forward and removed the rear bolts. Then I disconnected the wires to the seat pot and the motor and pulled the seat.

The number below for setting the resistance only works if the seat is left in the forward position.

2. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #2 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #3 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
  4. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #4 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
    Then rotate the assembly 90 degrees to the right and pry the upper half of the cover from the lower half. (by the time I took this, I had rotated it back to it's original position)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #5 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
    Lift the variable resistor (this is the potentiometer) from the assembly. There is a little black plastic clip at the right hand side of the part that releases it.
    Set the variable resistor aside for now.

6. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #6 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
  7. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #7 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
    The arrow shows where the plastic has broken. The metal ring provides tension and keeps the white socket clamped to the black ball. Once the plastic breaks at the tips, there isn't enough friction for the gear to drive the white part and the potentiometer no longer turns when the seats move.

8. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I didn't take photos of the next couple steps. Separate the white and black parts by pulling on them gently. De-grease the parts with alcohol and q-tips (will need to strip down the q-tips to fit into the socket). Apply a light coating of contact cement to the ball and the socket, set them aside for a couple minutes while you do the next steps.

With an Ohm meter, measure the resistance between the pink wire and the yellow wire. Now turn the potentiometer until this reads 4.4k Ohms.

9. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #9 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
    Set the black gear/ball back into the assembly and bolt the assembly down with the torx screw. Slide the shaft part of the white socket into the variable resistor. Check the resistance again, and make sure it's 4.4k Ohms. Carefully slide the variable resistor and the white socket down into place without rotating them. The white socket will snap onto the black ball and the contact cement will bond them together.

10. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #10 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Snap the cover back in place and check to see that you're still at 4.4k Ohms (mine ended up at 4.42 and it was still ok. Don't know what the limits are here).

Install the seat, being careful to plug everything back in before turning the key on.

Motor the seat around to see that it works. Then test the top.

Note: if you do happen to turn the key on while the pot is unplugged, it seems to disable the seat, even once it's all plugged back in. If this happens, turn off the battery. Wait 20 seconds. Make sure everything is plugged in, and turn the battery back on. Sorted me right out when I made this mistake half way through.

I tested the top 5 times after I finished and it works great. Both seats do all the right moves.

Others have used epoxy for this repair, but I liked the idea of using something like contact cement, since it's rubbery and has some flex to it, in case the ball and socket don't go together perfectlty straight. If it starts to slip in the future. I'll go to something stronger. Also, I was in the mood for some instant gratification today, and contact cement only takes about 10 minutes.

Thanks to those who came before me on this one. None of this information is new. I approached a couple things differently (like not removing the pot completely from the seat), but the important parts all came from various searches of FerrariChat. This is just an attempt to put everything I learned today into one post.

I'm really grateful that FerrariChat saved my a$$ and my wallet on this one!

Total cost $3.50 + tax.

Qavion likes this.
  11. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
  12. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Great write up !!
    As you have said, many of these details have been posted before but its great to see it brought together in such a detailed post, with an even easier repair method with not removing the POT.

Well done.

Neil

13. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    Absolutely fantastic work!! Both the repair and the documentation, thank you for improving the F-chat data base.

14. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Great job. I have the exact same problem now so I'm going to follow your instructions. What tool do you use to remove the bolts, I tried hex wrench but I think the bolts are over tight any suggestions?

15. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #15 roadracer311, Jun 21, 2010
    The seat bolts? Mine weren't that tight. To get at the front ones, I used a standard allen wrench. I put the long end into the bolt, then used the handle-end of a crescent wrench. Here's an example (torx wrench shown, but I used an allen)

16. yronZFF

yronZFF Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2009
    FIVE-O
    Full Name:
    Ron
    GREAT writeup!
    I too turned my key on before plugging everything back in and my seat didn't work even after all was plugged back in. I thought I blew a fuse or something and couldn't figure it out.
    GOOD reminder!

17. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I'll be curious to see if everyone is able to avoid re-calibration with an SD. Every pot should work without recalibration if set to roughly the same resistance that it was calibrated to before. So far 4.4kΩ seems to be the consensus for the forward position. I probably should have measured my (working) driver's seat to see what the resistance was in the forward position, but I was reluctant to mess with the one seat I had that was working properly.

18. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Fantastic thread and write-up :)!!!! This is one that will be printed for the archives :D!!!

19. tashier

tashier Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Nice Job man. Thanks for the info. Mine needs this work as well.

20. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I just finished repairing the pot on the passenger side, put every thing back together the problem I have now is the seat will not move forward all the way like it should, did I miss something? Also when using the power seat button it will not move all the way forward like the driver seat does.

21. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    It sounds like you have the pot at least one turn out of sync as it is informing the Seat Control Unit that it's fully forward before it actually is.

22. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The potentiometer needs to be physically re-set to a lower resistance value to allow the seat to go further forward.

I would measure the resistance on the driver's side seat pot when it's all the way forward and try to match the passenger side to the same resistance when it's all the way forward.

In the non DIY version, this step would be done by taking it to the Ferrari dealer and using the SD2 to set the seat position.

One of the advantages of using contact cement instead of epoxy is that it's easier to take apart and re-set the resistance to an exact number. You can also re-set it without taking the ball and socket apart, but can only adjust it in discrete steps, and they might be too large.

23. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    I appreciate your advice, this thread was very helpful and it saved me lots of money by following these instructions and doing it myself. I think I'm just going to forget about fixing it any further, the seat is only about an inch away from the maximum forward position anyway, I think I can live with that easily, I'm just very happy I got the seat to move finally and it works great.

24. roadracer311

roadracer311 Formula 3

May 6, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Cool! Yeah, I think within an inch +/- of what the other seat does is about as close as you're going to get to perfectly matching the other seat. Glad it worked for you, in general, though.

25. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice thread!