Fender shields option on a 95 456gt | FerrariChat

Fender shields option on a 95 456gt

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by renn20, Sep 27, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    I've been reading all Ferrari shields on the pre-m 456 fenders are stickers afterthoughts. Perhaps the first owner of my car did a special request? The shields on my fenders are screwed on type with a proper recess on the fenders.

Could someone with knowledge of the era shed some light on these odd options? My car also comes with a carbon fiber steering wheel.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Davidspop and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  2. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Wow, cool ! Let’s see the wheel. More pics !

I was told that there was an outfit here in California years back that charged a few thousand to do the job “properly & recessed” for 456 cars without shields. I looked into it when I first got my M car but dismissed it as it was prohibitively expensive.

Very cool, very interesting.

Ferrari55whoa and renn20 like this.
  3. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    These shields are on the fiberglass clamshell hood.(I couldn't edit the original post) based on my research, the outfitter was doing the work on metal fenders. My car is indeed a socal car. could still be a possibility.

Mirek likes this.
  4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Has to be insanely rare and equally cool.

Mirek likes this.
  5. JAS12

JAS12 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    JAS
    I have a 2001 456m GTA with a carbon fiber hood and the metal shields were a $1,447.00 factory option. They are not recessed in but bolted onto the hood. Not sure if they were factory or dealer applied but the factory sticker shows then as an added option.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

renn20 likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The parts catalog shows the Cavallino shield as an option on the 456M with different part numbers for hoods/bonnets with and without shields.

7. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    I wish I have the receipt to show how the shields were added to the car. I guess it will remain a mystery. thanks for sharing the photos.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  8. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    I am going to try adding the self-adhesive curved metal shields to my Swatters Blue 456. Has anyone had problems with damage to the fender when removing these?

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Many reports of easy removal using heat and fishing line to separate from the fender.

10. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Thank you Terry. I’m excited to see how they look.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I do not think the shields were available as an option on anything until 97. We certainly did have body shops recess the fenders and install just like Ferrari did later.

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am very suspicious about a factory generated window sticker that shows those from the factory. We ordered many 355s, 456's, 550's etc from the factory with shields and in every single car they were recessed in the fender.