News

Ferrari 0855 Ellena

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 23, 2014.

1. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior
    Owner

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Ed, just stunning. Total respect for you man.

2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Just saw this thread and spent the past hour and a half reading every post. Hats off to you, and love the color :)

3. John B

John B Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Oh man... This is the fun part!
    It looks stunning

4. enio45

enio45 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    With the rear and front suspension in, we got the brakes installed and ran the fuel and brake lines thru-out the car. This was
    thought to make up new lines. I have the brake line fittings already installed to facilitate getting the flairs done correctly, however, come to find out the fittings did not fit thru the rear axle housing, so we had to cut the ends and slip them thru first. It is my belief that the brake lines were put on the car as straight pieces, bent as they felt necessary to hit the mounting tabs and they flared accordingly. Additionally, the brake backing plates and shoes/springs, cams and emergency levers were all assembled off the car originally. I tried to do them the car and with the close tolerances on the back sides to the axles etc, it was impossible to do it this way. Thus assemble all the backing plates on the bench, attach all the parts and then mount the whole assembly. The challenge was now getting to the backing plate bolts in a very tight situation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid likes this.
  5. enio45

enio45 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
  6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful:)

7. enio45

enio45 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    meadracing, turbo-joe and crinoid like this.
  8. enio45

enio45 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    crinoid likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Anodized aluminum would likely be better. To paint the steel, epoxy primer is best for adhesion. But, molded plastic is a bit glossy so I would try to locate a paint that matches. Forgot 3D printing for a component like that. Would require a lot of post processing. Machining was the way to go.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. enio45

enio45 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Another item related to the brakes....so originally when i preassembled the car to see what was missing, one of the emergency brake arm - return springs , that mount on the backing plate was broken. My thinking, wow, where in the heck to i find one of these....well to my surprise one of the big suppliers had them on the shelf! so i order 2, because they are left and right orientation.

So 2 yrs later i go to install them and i find that they are clocked differently than my original ones. This issue would not allow the arm to mounted with tension on it. Upon questioning what we had here, i contacted the supplier and they never heard of this issue....see pic and you can see the mounting tab is 180 degree out of sync with the original one i have. The solution would be to redrill the hole in the backing plate (which could work fine and is what i think their assembly shop does) or try to find the correct ones.

Another large supplier did a search for me, and has found the correct ones somewhere....wish i knew where, as I'm pretty good at sniffing out these parts and who makes what. Anyhow i have a correct set coming.....

My error for not taking closer inspection when the parts arrived 2 yrs earlier.....just a subtle difference, but one that held up the assembly for a week sorting this out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. enio45

enio45 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thank you for the advise - i made several sets so i may experiment a little with the anodized approach.

Oh, i stand corrected -we did make them out of alum...just forgot what we did!!

So the anodized process can easily be done.

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Everything looks great. Keep it up, Ed.

john

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Any serious spring manufacturer will make you new ones in no time for peanuts, let's say $100 for a pair - or a few hundreds for 100 pairs.

Dave rocks likes this.
  14. enio45

enio45 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks John,

kare, i got a pair coming from GTO....never had springs made before - that is intriguing ...

15. enio45

enio45 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    mockingbird812 and Dave rocks like this.