Ferrari 0855 Ellena | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 0855 Ellena

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Sep 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Ed, just stunning. Total respect for you man.

2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Just saw this thread and spent the past hour and a half reading every post. Hats off to you, and love the color :)

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Oh man... This is the fun part!
    It looks stunning

4. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    With the rear and front suspension in, we got the brakes installed and ran the fuel and brake lines thru-out the car. This was
    thought to make up new lines. I have the brake line fittings already installed to facilitate getting the flairs done correctly, however, come to find out the fittings did not fit thru the rear axle housing, so we had to cut the ends and slip them thru first. It is my belief that the brake lines were put on the car as straight pieces, bent as they felt necessary to hit the mounting tabs and they flared accordingly. Additionally, the brake backing plates and shoes/springs, cams and emergency levers were all assembled off the car originally. I tried to do them the car and with the close tolerances on the back sides to the axles etc, it was impossible to do it this way. Thus assemble all the backing plates on the bench, attach all the parts and then mount the whole assembly. The challenge was now getting to the backing plate bolts in a very tight situation.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

crinoid likes this.
  5. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Oengus, 4re308, stevenwk and 6 others like this.
  6. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful:)

7. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    meadracing, turbo-joe and crinoid like this.
  8. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    crinoid likes this.
  9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Anodized aluminum would likely be better. To paint the steel, epoxy primer is best for adhesion. But, molded plastic is a bit glossy so I would try to locate a paint that matches. Forgot 3D printing for a component like that. Would require a lot of post processing. Machining was the way to go.

turbo-joe likes this.
  10. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Another item related to the brakes....so originally when i preassembled the car to see what was missing, one of the emergency brake arm - return springs , that mount on the backing plate was broken. My thinking, wow, where in the heck to i find one of these....well to my surprise one of the big suppliers had them on the shelf! so i order 2, because they are left and right orientation.

So 2 yrs later i go to install them and i find that they are clocked differently than my original ones. This issue would not allow the arm to mounted with tension on it. Upon questioning what we had here, i contacted the supplier and they never heard of this issue....see pic and you can see the mounting tab is 180 degree out of sync with the original one i have. The solution would be to redrill the hole in the backing plate (which could work fine and is what i think their assembly shop does) or try to find the correct ones.

Another large supplier did a search for me, and has found the correct ones somewhere....wish i knew where, as I'm pretty good at sniffing out these parts and who makes what. Anyhow i have a correct set coming.....

My error for not taking closer inspection when the parts arrived 2 yrs earlier.....just a subtle difference, but one that held up the assembly for a week sorting this out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thank you for the advise - i made several sets so i may experiment a little with the anodized approach.

Oh, i stand corrected -we did make them out of alum...just forgot what we did!!

So the anodized process can easily be done.

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Everything looks great. Keep it up, Ed.

john

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Any serious spring manufacturer will make you new ones in no time for peanuts, let's say $100 for a pair - or a few hundreds for 100 pairs.

Dave rocks likes this.
  14. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks John,

kare, i got a pair coming from GTO....never had springs made before - that is intriguing ...

15. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    mockingbird812 and Dave rocks like this.
  16. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Started to add a little of jewelry on the car today......

Attached Files:

17. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Currently working on the timing cover for my engine guy. The timing cover has a lot of responsibility, water pump, generator, fuel pump, oil pump, tensioner, cam gears etc.....

A lot of mechanical analysis, new parts and tolerance evaluations went into fitting all the parts and the timing gears.

The engine guy want to install the timing cover, and cycle the engine over to assess the valve to piston clearances
    before the final assembly. I said i would do the timing cover pieces - which took way way more time that i expected - however they needed to be done and correct, and i learned a lot! Once all the items have been fit and tolerance assessed and fixed, then off to paint, plating of the bolts/nuts and assembly. So...i think I'm there - delivery tomorrow to the engine builder for his piece to complete and hopefully final assembly.

A heck of a lot of detail when you take the time to look at everything!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #343 John Vardanian, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Looks great Ed.
    Is the big domed nut part of the tensioner?

Seeing the 1, 2, 3 stamped on the intake manifolds made me remember something. The 12 holes in my air filter box used to line up with the carb studs just fine. Then once I had taken things apart and after I put them together the studs no longer lined up. It was a big pain in the butt figuring out the right order so things could line up. Do you know if your 1 is in the front or in the back? If not, figure it out before you torque everything down. For that matter, I can't remember if each casting can be flipped either way, if so, that would add even more confusion.

john

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I think no. 1 is front of engine

20. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes big dome nut cover the tensioner adj screw ......

Numb 1 is front of engine - believe was done by previous owners.....not me

21. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Great job Ed :)

22. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    It is really starting to come together. The detail is spectacular.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

23. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Started to add a few more bling items to the car....i could not hold back, wanting to get a look at the
    Marshall Headlamps, buckets and Chrome Rings i made.

I also installed the chrome grill surround - the paint job it took up a few more MM of space
    that i could not afford to lose on the grill fit. It took a while to get this in without scratching and
    a little force to get the screws started. I have to say, the fit looks real good - these grills unlike the later cars do NOT get the rubber grill surround piece. This would hide a bit of anomalies and fit with the grill. These grills have to fit right on with the front nose edge - uniform all the way around. I know we worked this grill many many times, in and out to make this happen.

Im in the process of have new grill slats being water jetted - once they get back, ill have to do the end to end
    measurements, trim, fit, fit and fit, trim, trim and refit :). This will be a tedious process getting the egg crates perfect look vertical and horizontal. More of this later when the parts arrive.

Attached Files:

Boudewijn likes this.
  24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Such a beautiful car and killer workmanship :)

25. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Last weekend i also started on some interior pieces - getting the new door panel material, rear luggage shelf, side panels and the kick panels remade and fit to the car. I wanted to get on these and do the work myself, so i can get the upholstery guy to begin to assess what needs to happen. Im thinking i might have used a slightly too thick panels....orig's are 1/8 and I'm using the 3/16.

Im hoping this is not an issue.....

Just realized i did not snap pics of the new stuff.....will do
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login