Ferrari 1045GT Hugh Edgley | FerrariChat

Ferrari 1045GT Hugh Edgley

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Les Hurlock, Mar 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Les Hurlock

Les Hurlock Guest

Jun 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Les Hurlock
    I'm looking for some information on Hugh Edgley. I understand he owned 1045GT a 250 PF in the 1960's as I have his details in the history and service records showing he lived in Kensington London.

It would be great to hear from anyone who new Hugh Edgley and or Ferrari 250 PF 1045GT
    Thanks
    Les Hurlock

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    All I can add regarding Edgley and his ownership of 1045GT is that he still owned the car as late as 1972.

Edgley owned a number of Ferraris. In addition to 1045GT, he also owned 250 GT SWB s/n 4057GT from 1967-1975, 400 Superamerica s/n 4111SA at least in 1972, 250 GTE s/n 3635GT at least from 1972-1974, 500 Superfast s/n 7975SF at least from 1972-1982, and 250 GT SWB s/n 2735GT at least from 1975-1984. Also there is 365 GTB/4 Comp s/n 16425 with Edgley from 1976 until... ?

Believe it or not, the only location I have for him in all of these records is simply Kensington, London, UK.

3. Les Hurlock

Les Hurlock Guest

Jun 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Les Hurlock
    Thanks so much for letting me have that information. I knew that Hugh Edgley was a club member but given the cars he has owned you would imagine there would be more information and he would have turned up in far more searches. I'll check through the history of my 250 PF 1045GT a lot of which is in French and see what else can discover.
    Thanks again

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Hugh P. K. Edgley, if I recall. In some parts of the world one middle initial is inadequate. Was quite active back in the day. Sorry, I don't have a current address.

5. anton

anton Karting

May 8, 2004
    Wasn't there a Hugh P.K. Dibley?

6. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I remember Hugh Edgley from my time at working for Marranello Concessionaires. From memory, a tall suave gentleman who was an old friend of Col Ronnie Hoare. At the time he owned a competition 365 GTB/4 painted in Giallo. Ch: 16425. UK Reg M 90. This car was often raced by the likes of the late Richard Bond and also Michael Salmon. His Superfast 500. Ch: 7975. UK Reg HE 13. was stored at Maranello in Egham. He also owned the then Drogo bodied 250 SWB. Ch: 2735. I think I am correct in saying that he was still contemplating returning the car to its orignal format circa 1980. The car's then UK registration number was B 400. I definitely recall him visiting Maranello at the time and discussing this with my boss, Mark Konig. My memory may be incorrect but I think the 'Project' was sold firstly to Ronald Stern and then to Clive Beecham who as we know has had the car totally rebuilt and certified by Ferrari's Classiche department. I have no knowledge of the PF.....before my time. I also have no idea if Hugh Edgley is still alive. If you care to PM me I can give you an exact address that was current in about 1985.

7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    You should be able to contact him through the UK Ferrari Owners' Club. They will not give out contact details but will forward correspondence.

Jonathan

8. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    I have to say that I would be very surprised if Hugh Edgley is still alive. From memory he was of a similar age to Col Hoare who died in 1989 and would be 102 if still alive today.

9. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Another friend of Col Hoare's. Ex BOAC VC10 pilot and one time 250 LM competitor in David Piper's car.

10. ted walker

ted walker Karting

Feb 7, 2009
    gloucestershire UK
    Full Name:
    edward walker
    He was very much alive when I talked to him last year.Still owns A LOT of cars inc Daytona.

11. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Delighted to hear this and apologies for my presumption.........

12. Les Hurlock

Les Hurlock Guest

Jun 2, 2012
    Full Name:
    Les Hurlock
    Thanks all replies. What started as interest in the history of my 250 PF 1045GT has only made me more curious about Hugh Edgley. He must be a real character given the cars he has owned.
    I'm a club member so will as advised make contact through the club and may.be I'll hear back with some info
    I would love to be able to speak to him and here any stories he has about his ownership of 1045GT and others.

pantera gr4 likes this.
  13. Phil E

Phil E Rookie

Oct 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Evelyn
    Hi Les,

I’m new to this site and like you, I’m fascinated with these stories, particularly of the Hugh Kelsey Edgley. A friend of mine wants to put together a radio documentary of racing the wonderful old Ferrari’s, and I’ve been tasked to see if you or indeed anyone else managed to ascertain if indeed Hugh is still alive or has any close descendants to speak to about his colourful life?

Many thanks,

Phil

I see one member added he spoke to Hugh and still has many cars. Is this the case?

14. Phil E

Phil E Rookie

Oct 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Evelyn
    Hi Ted,
    I’m new to this site and like you, I’m fascinated with these stories, particularly of the Hugh Kelsey Edgley. A friend of mine wants to put together a radio documentary on the world of racing the wonderful old Ferrari’s, and I’ve been tasked to see if you or indeed anyone else managed to ascertain if Hugh is contactable or indeed if he has any close descendants to speak to about his colourful life? I’d love to speak to him if possible

Many thanks,

Phil