Ferrari 2018 F1 car | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 2018 F1 car

Discussion in 'F1' started by Igor Ound, Feb 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    NürScud likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Question is the amount of 'compromise' and what the simulations show for advantages at varying circuits. If its wrong or not what they modeled life could be very interesting LOL

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Malaysia is out which was a high speed track. I'm guessing they look at the tracks and design for the best compromise over all of them

DF1 likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I believe Mercedes gambled with this last yr.....More high speed tracks on the calender than low speed tracks.....this yr Paul Ricard gets added. Longer WB did well in high speed tracks....not so well in street tracks.

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    It’s happening a lot in modern times because of the strict regulations around bodywork. Makes no sense, FIA should just give more freedom and care only about safety if that’s what they like

7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    My understanding is gizmos like this are all about redirecting air to the rear wing or the various cooling apparatus'. It's all a black science to me.

Of course, it could all be a "smoke-screen', if you know what I'm saying.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Red herring perhaps?

crinoid likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    thats also what I have read about these side cockpit canards/winglets or in your case gizmos.

tifoso2728 likes this.
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Right! LOL.

I guess it's always been about downforce vs. drag. Or, if you can reduce the size of the radiator openings, it's all worthwhile.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  11. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    While the amount of red is enough to make it acceptable (unlike 2016) very disappointed with the livery details...
    The random swath of grey (??) Painting the barge board red (???) The sloping tricolor on the shark fin... These elements don't make much sense, and degrade the lines of the car. Definitely a step down from 2017...

Halo is just complete eyesore...like the TR and Alfa, the added aero extension on top just makes it ever more bulky. 2018 is a bad dream. :(

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. And hoping! As it'll be very difficult to integrate for other teams

13. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I like the new car and both drivers looked happy with it at the presentation. Le's hope that is as fast as it looks.

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Right. Winning makes anything beautiful!

375+, stavura and TheMayor like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Clever stuff! They must be confident it can't be copied with ease that they're showing it here already...seems it's integrated with the sidepods then which can't just be changed at the drop of a hat (a sidepod redesign is pretty intense as it a key part of airflow and how the car operates aerodynamically, and where engine/coolings parts etc are all layed out).

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas and TheMayor like this.
  17. DF1

They had issues at power tracks as well. Malaysia was terrible. They had a big meeting after the race to put a plan together to deal with ALL the issues that Diva was giving them. Lets hope Ferrari are as astute.

18. DF1

The analysis by others will be quick. There are alot of smart people in the game....

daytona355 likes this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Bas likes this.
  20. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Would anyone notice if they made it sound like Mansell's ?

375+, ferrariformulauno and Bas like this.
  21. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    OH YES PLEASE................I PROMISE I WILL WATCH EVERY RACE.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Analysis yes...but not much to be done for this year for them. We see a lot have copied Ferrari's sidepods from last year but they didn't do it mid season in 2017, as almost everything has to be laid out differently...and there's no guarantee that copying another teams' concept works on their own. It's better to stick with the plan you've laid out than get distracted and replicate what someone else is doing, as not only will you be behind the curve, you've got to figure out the new car/parts/upgrade path also.

I'm sure it'll be copied but I'd be very surprised to see it happen before 2019.

23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    If I may add, I believe the SF71-H is the only one running with the "top inlet" (post #65-->labeled "top inlet via mirror wing") on the side pod. So yes, 2019 more likely.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep, exactly my point why it won't be copied in a hurry...certainly not to the same standards.

25. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    FEBRUARY 23, 2018

Vettel not worried after seeing rival cars

Ferrari this week joined arch-rival Mercedes in revealing its 2018 car.

Like Mercedes' offering, the new and even redder single-seater is clearly an evolution of the 2017 car.

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel said: "Mercedes remains the reference, but I do not think we are in the outsider role."

But the German said it is too early to say which of the other cars that have been launched may also be contenders in 2018.

"Clearly you look at the presentations of the other cars and ask the designers for their opinion," said Vettel.

"But it's still difficult to judge. The quality and angle of the photos plays a big role, so I will only form a first judgement in the tests.

"But so far I can say that I have not seen anything in the others that makes me worried."

daytona355 and crinoid like this.