Ferrari 250 GT SWB Interior Photographic Data | FerrariChat

Ferrari 250 GT SWB Interior Photographic Data

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Dustin Wetmore, Apr 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dustin Wetmore

Dustin Wetmore Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Dustin Wetmore
    Hello all,

I'm wondering if any fellow train spotters would be willing to share images of interiors and trunks from the Scaglietti built 250 GT SWB series. More specifically, images which can be described as "in period" or from examples known to be unrestored.

While we do have a great deal of archived information on hand, we're always learning and focused on improving the authenticity of our work.

I'll start with a package tray from a project we're involved with. Original vinyl covered by leather in the early 1980s.

We also found a chunk of original carpeting from behind the fuse panel. Notice the "hair-cell" headliner vinyl used as a binder.

Thank you so much and happy scrolling!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.
  2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thinner material makes for a better looking carpet binding and upholstery piping. When leather is used instead, it's skived.

john

3. Dustin Wetmore

Dustin Wetmore Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Dustin Wetmore
    John,

No question the thinner material is more compliant - especially when binding corners and forming tight welt cords or wind-lacing. In the case of Scaglietti, I'm unaware of any instance where leather was used as a binder for carpeting or welt cord for seats.

I would expect to see leather used as a binder in the case of early Pinin Farina, Touring and Vignale built interiors. IF carpeting was used in the trunk (boot), the binder would likely be vinyl (vipla or plastico). These examples featured a "blind" stitch as opposed to a top stich found with Scaglietti trimmed interiors.

Bertone and Zagato seemed to favor the use of vinyl just as Scaglietti had. Gotta keep those costs low!!

V12addict likes this.
  4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #4 John Vardanian, Apr 16, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    Dustin, thanks. That headliner vinyl is a especially thin vinyl, so that could be why it was used for your SWB carpet. HVL have this thin material in tape rolls, in colors that match their Ferrari style carpets. I am including a picture of the trunk carpet in reference to what you said about Scaglietti trunk upholstery.

john

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Hi John:
    I did send you a PM.

Marcel Massini

6. Dustin Wetmore

Dustin Wetmore Karting

Mar 31, 2011
    Neenah, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Dustin Wetmore
    John,

It doesn't get much more original than that!! I have a cutting from a Lusso trunk carpet which is identical.

Who says Ferrari wasn't consistent?!

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Yes, but looking at that binding, I have to say you'd be hard pressed to find shoddier work.

john